Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Celeb (and Celeb SO's) Sexual Harassment Thread

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I personally think I can handle artistic failure much gracefully than I can handle being cornered by a horny Louis CK, but I suppose we all have different things in life that we are comfortable with.
    Maybe the other way around for myself.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, the realization that I'm not meant for what I consider to be the only thing worth doing in life must be a terrifying feeling. I've fortunately not resigned myself to that yet.

Being accosted by a perverted fat irish person sounds like a walk in the park in comparison.

Please consider other people may not feel like you. Also the asymmetry and imbalance of male-female power dynamics.

Interested thoughts to consider in that writing, but I am not sure exactly what she wants.

Apologies are not enough (that’s a given), but she seems to also think that mens’ attempts to change are hollow and self-serving.

So what does she want?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I feel like she answered that pretty explicitly.

Years ago, I would have settled for an apology from any man who did something wrong. I would’ve given into a meek plea for forgiveness, tucked tail and all. Now, receiving an apology has the adverse effect that it’s supposed to: It just feels like being asked to process someone else’s regret, and embarrassment, and pain, on top of my own anger and frustration. It sounds like dealing with more work.

In most cases, what I want is rarely words, or even anything I can see or hear. I want to be left alone at a bar, at a work party, on a plane, at a restaurant. I want you to tell the other men in your life that they can’t behave like this. I want you to fire them and stop being their friends and uninvite them from parties, regardless of whether I’m there or not. I want to notice the absence of action — how rarely I have to ask you not to say something crude to me or touch me. I want you to do the quiet, unseen work women do every day to keep ourselves safe, and I want you to do it so automatically that I don’t notice it at all. I want, for five minutes a day, for you to be as uncomfortable as I am almost constantly. I want you to stop yourself before you start. I want you to have retroactively been better.

It might seem unfair that we’ve asked for apologies for so long and, now that we’re getting them, we’re picking them apart — turning up our noses, asking for even more. But if the last three months have taught me anything, it’s that just because an apology is thrown at you doesn’t mean you have to take it.
    If this sounds unattainable, then consider that maybe it is and men have to learn to accept that. I never believed that those wronged have any obligation to be forgiving, personally.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

From now on, when you are denied receiving a job after an interview, the interviewer should be required to start jacking off in front of you. This way the message is clear and there will be no misunderstandings.

And now introducing a special segment in the Golden Globes.... Rose McGowan!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I didn’t say she must be forgiving. Nor did I say it was unattainable - thanks for trying to make me look bad! Appreciated!

But she says that she want some men to take action, then says she thinks men will say they’re taking action but secretly continue acting in terrible ways. She is giving no option for things to get better.

“I want men to stop acting like pigs, and start calling out men who do. But that’ll never happen, they’ll always be pigs.”

I'm just gonna skip whatever that sarcasm was in response to...

I don't understand what the issue is. She's very skeptical, which is completely understandable. What does that have to do with the way we should behave?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It has no effect on how men should better / be aware of their behaviour.

The issue is that she’s proposing a scenario where even if men and society pull a 180, everything changes and the scummy men change their behaviour, women should still not trust men.

That’s awfully close to just blatant man hating.

I just find the part about "uninvite them to parties even if I don't go to the parties" funny.

It sounds like something an angry high school girl would say.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 12-21-2017 at 07:53 PM.

It just occurred to me that one comedian who hasn't been accused of sexual harassment is Andrew Dice Clay. Go figure.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    It has no effect on how men should better / be aware of their behaviour.

The issue is that she’s proposing a scenario where even if men and society pull a 180, everything changes and the scummy men change their behaviour, women should still not trust men.

That’s awfully close to just blatant man hating.
    Can you point out to where you think the author suggests that? Because I'm having a hard time following that logic. I thought she just has certain learned experiences and is voicing a dissatisfaction with the current response to the problem, and wants men to do more. The piece also ends with a section acknowledging that this work is likely neverending and unsatisfying, for both parties. And I don't see why that's a problematic thing to say. Or any cause to worry, really. We should just take the L and do the work regardless.
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    It just occurred to me that one comedian who hasn't been accused of sexual harassment is Andrew Dice Clay. Go figure.
    Because of his act?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Sorry I was a jerk yesterday.

Had an absolutely awful day, and was nearly killed at work.

Came in here in a very fight-y mood.

My apologies.

Whoa! What do you mean you were nearly killed at work? By a customer/coworker/car in the parking lot??

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I was doing garbage in the back while the truck for the day was backing up to drop off the skids.

He was backing up with his tailgate down. Don’t know why but suddenly gunned it and smashed into the door.

It was exactly where I was standing, and I just happened to bend over to pick up cardboard right as it happened.

If I hadn’t bent over right then I would have been cut in half.

Damn. Glad you're ok.

Damn!

Hope you made the truck driver eat seven different shades of shit afterwards.

That's scary. Glad you're not in half.
    Movie Theater Diary

Garbage Drivers are insane. I always stay clear from them.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Damn!

Hope you made the truck driver eat seven different shades of shit afterwards.
    Yeah this for sure. Glad your okay.

Producer
    Yeah, seeing quite a few of verified female twitter accounts speaking about him as well.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

New year, new places to donate.

https://www.gofundme.com/timesup

TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund will provide subsidized legal support to women and men who have experienced sexual harassment, assault, or abuse in the workplace and while in pursuit of their careers. The Fund will ultimately be housed at and administrated by the National Women’s Law Center, an established, national women’s rights legal organization. A network of lawyers and public relations professionals across the country will work with the Center’s Legal Network for Gender Equity to provide assistance to those ready to stand up. Access to prompt and comprehensive legal and communications help will mean empowerment for these individuals and long term growth for our culture and communities as a whole.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast