Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Celeb (and Celeb SO's) Sexual Harassment Thread

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Yes, to Usual Suspects, I'm not sure on the latter. Did anyone ever try out Valkyrie?
    It was an interesting diversion, not one to revisit.

Usual Suspects is excellent and so is Apt Pupil. X2 is also quite a pioneering movie for superhero filmmaking.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    While I've never seen The Usual Suspects, the first two X-Men movies will always hold a special place in my heart as childhood favorites, and two of my favorite superhero movies. Valkyrie is fine. Days of Future Past is solid. Otherwise....meh.

But the director replacing him on the Queen movie is even better.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

LOL why would you say this when you're being sued for sexual assault yourself?

When asked if Singer would work with Spacey again, Singer paused and noted that he helped launch Spacey’s film career in “The Usual Suspects,” which won Spacey the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.

“These are loaded questions,” Singer said. “These questions…people want to hear one answer or the other. He’s a guy that I helped launch his career. He’s an acquaintance of mine, and it depends on the project I guess.”
    http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/bry...ts-1201905310/
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    LOL why would you say this when you're being sued for sexual assault yourself?

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/bry...ts-1201905310/
    Birds of a feather....fuck kids together?

Singer is fighting this pretty damn hard.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Honey, look, a RT score of only 56%, but the RA score is 90% fresh, and it's all off-screen talent!

I can barely keep up anymore. I saw that a bunch of people lost their job in the past couple of days. The Good Day LA anchor, reporters from New Yorker and NPR, and like half a dozen people on the NFL network.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Almost like the problem is systemic!
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Here come the sports players!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

That last bit is hilarious.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Salma Hayek's op-ed is terrifying. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...weinstein.html
    Movie Theater Diary

BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Woah, Morgan Spurlock is stepping down from his production company. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ompany-1067969

The interesting part: no woman had gone public about him. He just went ahead and admitted his sexual assault and harassment on twitter before he could be outed.
    Movie Theater Diary

Who Are All These Apologies Really For?

I thought I wanted apologies, but that’s before I knew what it felt like to get so many of them. I also thought that watching powerful, famous men apologize would make the smaller, less relevant men figure their shit out and say they’re sorry, too. That’s certainly happening on some level — I’ve never seen men so terrified of a public reckoning in my life, an anxiety I am happy to foster — but it’s not as gratifying as I hoped it would be. I know of more than a few men in my sphere who started contacting women preemptively, women they knew they were inappropriate with at work, to say they were sorry just in case they were made to feel uncomfortable. Some of the women I know appreciated hearing it. Most just wanted the guy to fuck off.
    Maybe this infuriates me because as a woman, and as a woman of color, and as a woman of color who can’t help but talk, almost constantly, I’ve gotten really good at apologizing. I apologize for emailing too often, I apologize for making people uncomfortable, I apologize for not working fast enough or hard enough. I’m always saying sorry for something, warranted or not. I’m expected to. If I don’t, then I’m difficult to work with or a bitch or condescending or arrogant. And because I apologize so much, I know how easy it is. Do you think it requires some great moral fortitude to say, “I’m sorry?” Saying you’re sorry isn’t heavy lifting. It’s the work that comes after it that counts.

But I still have my doubts that these men will actually do anything after the apology. They won’t be careful or conscious, they won’t call out other men for similar behavior, and they won’t change their behavior in the future. Men who say sorry to me now will probably do whatever they’re apologizing for again. Because to them, “sorry” wipes the slate clean, somehow. What these men really want is to be released.
    With the allegations coming out like a never ending stream and becoming the new normal, I think this is the most important question to ask next. Because we keep arguing over whether these apologies are sincere enough, or worded well enough, and if that will determine their ability to return to their crafts. It's telling to me that the apology is always followed by a plan to make them better (Going to rehab, self-reflecting, taking time off work and the spotlight, and so on), but never any follow-ups about what they have to contribute to stop other men from behaving like them, or what they're going to do about the dashed careers of their victims. (What is Louis CK going to do for the comedians he chased away? How is The Weinstein Co going to make up for the lost opportunities of the actresses that Harvey blacklisted?) Isn't that curious? Why give points to someone who claims remorse, but doesn't say anything about atonement? Why do people think that a ruined career is enough?
    Movie Theater Diary

Hahah what does she want? Punitive castration? At this point her quest for revenge even seems a little kinky.

I agree that the women in the Weinstein case who got blacklisted can't get those years of job offers back. That's terrible. But in C.K.'s case none has claimed he tried to stop anyone from getting work. It seems some women were traumatized by the whole jerk off thing, which is understandable and all, but if that drove you off then you were never really going to make it as a stand up comic anyway.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    It seems some women were traumatized by the whole jerk off thing, which is understandable and all, but if that drove you off then you were never really going to make it as a stand up comic anyway.
    You don't know that.

That's awful.

The entire point of this (or one of the points of this) is that if we have an industry where "being able to handle" being forced to watch a powerful man masturbate in front of you is a prereequisite for success, this industry needs to be fucking blown up because... no. Just Jesus Christ, fucking no.

I don't, but a comic faces rejection on a day to day basis. If you can't handle Louis C.K.'s penis, how are you going to handle that?

EDIT: Not saying you have to endure anything, by the way.

Rejection != sexual harrassment/assault.

Things like this are traumatic. Handling professional rejection can be humiliating and feel dehumanizing but is of an entirely different character from the dehumanizing objectification and threat to one's body, comfort, and safety of the kinds of acts we're talking about.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I don't, but a comic faces rejection on a day to day basis. If you can't handle Louis C.K.'s penis, how are you going to handle that?
    I personally think I can handle artistic failure much gracefully than I can handle being cornered by a horny Louis CK, but I suppose we all have different things in life that we are comfortable with.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast