Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Celeb (and Celeb SO's) Sexual Harassment Thread

What does Wendy's say about it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...me-too/547691/

This year’s pervert purge has inspired many to look at uncomfortable truths about their heroes, their co-workers, and their values. The New York Times’s Michelle Goldberg repented of her support for Bill Clinton, writing a piece with a battering ram as a headline, “I believe Juanita.” For me, it’s been sinking in that the working white women who felt condescended to by affluent feminists voted, by significant margins, for an admitted sexual predator over the lady who’d not believe them if they were abused by someone she liked. Their choices don’t seem so ridiculous to me any longer.

Democrats sold our soul. Nothing makes that more clear than how women voted in the 2016 election.

I’m also no longer defending Bill Clinton. I’m ashamed I ever did. But I’m not condemning or admonishing Hillary. I think we all make the choices that seem right at the time. I don’t feel like pummeling her with my privilege of hindsight. But there’s a rot in the Democratic Party. It’s not just bad men and exhausted women; it’s that we chose Bill over the women. And that original sin lost us the election of what we all assumed would be the first female president of the United States. And Trump, who boasted he could “grab ‘em by the pussy,” being in the White House doesn’t make that untrue. It just makes it a painful irony.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    This will probably be the last sane pick for Person of the Year now that the Koch Brothers own TIME Magazine.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

So two accused Dems resign, and the GOP will still elect Moore and still support POTUS, with his 15+ accusations of sexual misconduct (well, and openly admitting to it).

Instead of resigning tomorrow, Al Franken should announce that he is switching parties to GOP.

So I saw Wag the Dog! I think it's a fine enough movie with relevant themes but, stylistically, it's aged badly and it goes for goofy comedy way too often. But Hoffman and De Niro and really about everyone else are predictably excellent in it.

The sex scandal is only the catalyst of the plot, though. It's not a major theme. The Boys is still the most prescient work of art about this.

Franken leaving, but he's damn sure taking aim at Trump and Moore and the GOP for excusing their own demonstrably abhorrent behavior.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Franken leaving, but he's damn sure taking aim at Trump and Moore and the GOP for excusing their own demonstrably abhorrent behavior.
    Wow, The Onion goes hard.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Sorta mixed feelings on this. Message good, execution kinda makes it feel like performance piece puffery. Like one of those Dove ads.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Sure hope the dudes in that video haven't done any fucked up shit to people.

I saw that and my mind just automatically asked "Which one of these people is in Woody Allen's next movie?" So I checked, just out of curiosity, really. Sure enough, Chalamet is the lead.
    Movie Theater Diary

Chalamet is about to have a rocket-propelled year in his career, but plenty have already noted the very terse and half-hearted reasons he's given when asked about working with Allen. I mean sure he's young and was probably just thinking of jumping at the chance to work with Allen, but it should be...interesting to see how it develops.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Chalamet is about to have a rocket-propelled year in his career, but plenty have already noted the very terse and half-hearted reasons he's given when asked about working with Allen. I mean sure he's young and was probably just thinking of jumping at the chance to work with Allen, but it should be...interesting to see how it develops.
    Leaving that aside, it's always curious to me that these young folks' career blow up by being in several critically acclaimed movies coming out all at once. I wonder if that's us having selective bias for the ones it coincidentally happens to or if there really is a machine that coordinates this even between different studios. All I know is that I didn't know the dude 2 months ago and now he's in like 4 movies with buzz.
    Movie Theater Diary

Damn. The timing. Looks like that Queen movie dodged a huge bullet.

http://amp.usatoday.com/amp/933265001
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Trump should stump for him.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Damn. The timing. Looks like that Queen movie dodged a huge bullet.

http://amp.usatoday.com/amp/933265001
    Say what you will about Woody Allen, he always shows up on set. He may very likely have raped his daughter (we'll never know for certain), but I've never heard of him not showing up for a day's shooting because he was too busy abusing minors.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Speaking of Singer, can we just admit that, child rapist or not, The Usual Suspects is kind of a shitty movie and it was all downhill from there?
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Speaking of Singer, can we just admit that, child rapist or not, The Usual Suspects is kind of a shitty movie and it was all downhill from there?
    Well, X-Men I guess.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I saw that and my mind just automatically asked "Which one of these people is in Woody Allen's next movie?" So I checked, just out of curiosity, really. Sure enough, Chalamet is the lead.
    Or what percentage from that group have been in Woody Allen movies for that matter as well.

Jennifer Lawrence doing Woody Allen dialog would've been a good match...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Yes, to Usual Suspects, I'm not sure on the latter. Did anyone ever try out Valkyrie?

I kind of admire his Superman flick while also considering it quite boring.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Usual Suspects is great.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast