Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Celeb (and Celeb SO's) Sexual Harassment Thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    OTOH, oooooof. WTF

https://twitter.com/April13Dawn/stat...63352967745536

ETA: "I was later invited by SJ to come out to LA to be on the fam cam, and they put me up in a hotel. Andy stopped by my hotel uninvited and took a dildo out of his bag and tried to use it on me."

https://twitter.com/April13Dawn/stat...57757237784576

Whelp, that's a double wtf.
    Dude is married with kids too. That's super creepy.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    And frankly, after Devin Faraci, Harry Knowles, and Nick Robinson of Polygon, what's really depressing me - you know, aside from watching men presuming to be woke and sensitive but then revealing themselves as slimy little fucks - is just how profoundly bad they are at flirting.
    I feel the same way. Threatening and attempting blackmail to keep the girl from revealing the advances you made is clearly in harassment territory, but at first I assumed some of these cases might have been an extramarital affair gone wrong and an accusation made out of spite... until you read the conversations. Come on. An adult person realizes when you're talking to someone who wants to fuck and when you're not wanted.

- - - - -
    Harvey Weinstein has been fired:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/08/b...ein-fired.html

And so has Andy Signore (Honest Trailers):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...claims-1046756

Gonna be a lot of fanciful tap dancing around Hollywood as people try their absolute best to be aghast at the sudden knowledge of Harvey's activities and abuses. He's been the whispered-about pig kingpin for decades. Everyone who ever profited off of his power, whether roles or money or whatever, and did their best to excuse or dismiss allllll of that gossip should have their damn souls examined. This is how shit like this perpetuates and festers and poisons people, organizations and industries. The power of people like this to make things disappear or put a person's credibility in an acid bath is frightening. I hope whoever feels strong enough to come forward can pin him to the wall with good enough evidence to send a message. But I worry that the only message received will be, "We gotta be more careful about how and who we abuse and assault and rape."
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Gonna be a lot of fanciful tap dancing around Hollywood as people try their absolute best to be aghast at the sudden knowledge of Harvey's activities and abuses. He's been the whispered-about pig kingpin for decades. Everyone who ever profited off of his power, whether roles or money or whatever, and did their best to excuse or dismiss allllll of that gossip should have their damn souls examined.
    I think Clooney put it best --- there's a big difference between water cooler gossip about Harvey being sleazy and an explicit story about jacking off into a potted plant.

I'm not in the industry, but even I heard shit about him. Everybody did. But I never would have guessed that he was groping Roseanna Arquette, fucking over her career, and raping Asia Argento. I mean, WTF, how is this guy not in jail.

PS: If anyone hasn't read the Farrow / New Yorker story yet... think twice. The stories are Cosby-level fucked up. Think a little more before listening to the NYPD tape. It's immensely fucking depressing.

ETA: This article by Leah Finnegan (who is a terrific writer, btw, and should be read regularly) about Weinstein et al changed my mind about a bunch of things. Worth a look: https://theoutline.com/post/2378/har...ce-for-bad-men
    Last edited by Irish; 10-10-2017 at 05:08 PM.

I'm off the mind that a person making an accusation against someone, especially a salacious or criminal one, should not be immediately believed nor immediately disbelieved. The claim (and, thus, person) should be taken seriously though. Sometimes that doesn't necessarily mean something investigative happens right then and there. But a lot of people seem to wait for "the pattern" to show up before starting to take something more seriously. I say if someone--especially if a good friend I trust--makes such a claim about someone, I'd keep an extra eye on that person from then on to see if there's more to it. You run into the possibility of having your perception of the person tainted and changed, and thus the possibility of seeing something that isn't there or suggestive or open to interpretation, but I personally think I'm fair to people overall, or try my best to be. I'm a devil's advocate to the point of tilting frustration for some.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

ETA: This article by Leah Finnegan (who is a terrific writer, btw, and should be read regularly) about Weinstein et al changed my mind about a bunch of things. Worth a look: https://theoutline.com/post/2378/har...ce-for-bad-men
    Good read. This is why I side-eye in disgust when old men just blanketly yell "DUE PROCESS" over and over.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Good read. This is why I side-eye in disgust when old men just blanketly yell "DUE PROCESS" over and over.
    Ehhhhhh. I am -- or was -- one of those guys. I always believe the stories, but at the same time I was very uncomfortable the way the media initially reported on Casey Affleck and Harry Knowles, because it's too easy to trash someone's career and ruin their life. And it's difficult to distinguish between what's a fact and what's a rumor.

But the Finnegan piece changed my mind. These women have no power, no money, no recourse. Due process is a fucking joke for them. The way Indiewire handled Knowles was the only way to handle it, really. Otherwise, the dam of silence wouldn't break.

I'd rather toss my skepticism and pedantry out the window rather than have anyone go through what some of these women have gone through.

So fuck it, burn it all down and start over.
    Last edited by Irish; 10-10-2017 at 05:53 PM.

To be less flippant: One of the most frustrating and conflicting feelings I have about laws or rules is the belief that a rule is inherently impartial and it's only in how it is applied that can get murky, but I don't think that's true, because I think when you've got an already impartial power dynamic between two groups, then even the equal enforcement of a rule within a community that has both groups is going to directly impact one group more than the other. Voter ID laws is probably the example most Americans are familiar to, and I've been thinking about it mostly in terms of how the state legalization of marijuana has impacted white entrepreneurs versus black entrepreneurs in California, but this is also the way I've been wondering that, given the known and accepted power imbalance between male predators and female victims, are we so sure that "innocent until proven guilty" is always a just rule?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    are we so sure that "innocent until proven guilty" is always a just rule?
    It isn't, necessarily, but it's all we've got. Go too far the other way, and you end up at the guillotine, Salem, and HUAC --- or Reddit and the Boston Bombing.

(But I think there's room somewhere were online discourse isn't litigated like it's a court of law, either. There's an odd space where due process and habeus corpus don't really work, yet people shout at each other like they're debating a point in a junior high civics class.)
    Last edited by Irish; 10-10-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Go too far the other way, and you end up at the guillotine, Salem, and HUAC --- or Reddit and the Boston Bombing.
    Or worse, a CBS procedural glorifying it.

Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    That's off the original NYT story, which is worse and more depressing: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/1...weinstein.html

I haven't seen anything about his brother through all this.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I haven't seen anything about his brother through all this.
    Bob's known to be much more of a recluse business man and not as much of a movie buff compared to Harvey. That's why you never hear actors and filmmakers talk about him, even though they always name-drop Harvey. By all accounts, they don't get along very often. Harvey actually is accusing Bob of being behind all of this coming out as a ploy to become sole owner of TWC.
    Movie Theater Diary

Movie Theater Diary

What's bullshit? You don't believe him?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What's bullshit? You don't believe him?
    No. I took his first answer as a confirmation.
    Movie Theater Diary

In other sad news, Terry Crews just posted these:

Movie Theater Diary

No. I took his first answer as a confirmation.
    Alright then, let's ban him from Hollywood I guess....

- - - - -
    Damon's response feels heavily scripted/ coached / rehearsed. He's very efficient at hitting talking points (barely mention Weinstein by name, frame "abuse" in general terms, deflecting in a socially conscious way toward the victims) while reminding everyone, twice, that he has four daughters and the Italian dude was above board and totally professional.

He sounds like he's giving a deposition. Affleck did the same thing on Facebook. It creeps me out.

Well what the hell should they say if they truly didn't know? What response would be appropriate?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Well what the hell should they say if they truly didn't know? What response would be appropriate?
    Something genuine that doesn't feel like it passed through a dozen different lawyers before it was posted.

The only male celebrity who came out looking alright was Seth Rogen (of all people, Jesus!). Unlike everybody else, he didn't wait until Harvey got fired and public opinion was very obviously moving in a single direction. Saturday noon he was all, "I believe the women."

Almost everybody else waited, and I think that's why some pushed back on Streep and Dench. Their statements felt defensive and calculated in a similar way to Damon and Affleck.

ETA: I was surprised that so many people let McGowan and Judd twist in the wind over a long weekend. I shouldn't have been, but still it's like, WTF?!
    Last edited by Irish; 10-10-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Something genuine that doesn't feel like it passed through a dozen different lawyers before it was posted.
    I get that Affleck's response was a canned social media approved/filtered release, but Damon's didn't feel that way to me.

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast