Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1224

Thread: Celeb (and Celeb SO's) Sexual Harassment Thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    Ah, there it is. I always wondered why everyone (including me) originally assumed Polanski's assault against the American teen was a one-off event. (I've also wondered why nobody ever raised an eyebrow at Jack Nicholson.)

Also, aside from this news: Man oh man have been there a lot of whispers about Jeff Goldnblum in the last month.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Ah, there it is. I always wondered why everyone (including me) originally assumed Polanski's assault against the American teen was a one-off event. (I've also wondered why nobody ever raised an eyebrow at Jack Nicholson.)
    Nicholson wasn't home when it happened. The help let Polanski in.

There have been several other credible accusations against Polanski, and I don't see any reason not to believe Monnier's. I still like his movies.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Nicholson wasn't home when it happened. The help let Polanski in.
    Uh huh. Do you think these things happen in a vacuum? Do you think that, when told about the rape, Nicholson expressed surprise?

I wasn't around & have never read the original reporting about Polanski's arrest or trial. But I've always wondered if anyone asked Jack is he knew what was going on in his own house.

Uh huh. Do you think these things happen in a vacuum? Do you think that, when told about the rape, Nicholson expressed surprise?

I wasn't around & have never read the original reporting about Polanski's arrest or trial. But I've always wondered if anyone asked Jack is he knew what was going on in his own house.
    After a Google search, it turns out Angelica Huston was in the house and Geimer remembers her getting suspicious and banging on the door at one point, although today Houston thinks what Polanski did was totally cool.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Fairly sure Jack has been in much worse situations then this one.

even worse for Hollywood in the Roaring 20's/30's.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Speaking of, apparently Nicholson is in a very bad state

Hasn’t shown his face publicly in years. People close to him say he is absolutely enormous, and suicidally depressed.

I don't know what to make of this, but Geimer is criticizing Monnier for not coming forward sooner:

Quote Quoting Samantha Geimer
    Taking heat for not being more supportive of accusers who use film release dates to schedule their revelations with the press & sat silently while I was called a liar & a gold digging whore in 1977 knowing they may have prevented it, if they had the truth & my mom’s courage.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Speaking of, apparently Nicholson is in a very bad state

Hasn’t shown his face publicly in years. People close to him say he is absolutely enormous, and suicidally depressed.
    I haven't heard about being gigantic and depressed, but have heard that he's essentially got dementia or Alzheimer's. This is why he hasn't been able to act, because he can't remember lines anymore.

Don't know if either are legit or not.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Nicholson was courtside at a Laker game earlier this year.

I don't know where you guys are getting "fat, depressed, shut-in."

I mean, he's also 82 years old so I wouldn't really expect the dude to be zipping around town turning up at parties and such.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...182710866.html

Nicholson was courtside at a Laker game earlier this year.

I don't know where you guys are getting "fat, depressed, shut-in."

I mean, he's also 82 years old so I wouldn't really expect the dude to be zipping around town turning up at parties and such.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...182710866.html
    Here's my source at least

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I haven't heard about being gigantic and depressed, but have heard that he's essentially got dementia or Alzheimer's. This is why he hasn't been able to act, because he can't remember lines anymore.

Don't know if either are legit or not.
    He was supposed to do a remake of Toni Erdmann w/ Kristin Wiig, but I guess it fell apart, probably at least in part because of the reasons you stated. Honestly, it's for the best. Not a fan of Hollywood remakes of foreign films (aside from a few like The Departed).
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Also, aside from this news: Man oh man have been there a lot of whispers about Jeff Goldnblum in the last month.
    Not defending his actions and I think he should still be held responsible, but I seriously think both surviving the holocaust (w/ his parents being killed in it) + his wife and unborn child being viciously slaughtered fucked him up mentally. The account above that he raped that actress and then was in tears afterwards screams mental illness.

You might wanna source those "whispers" about Jeff Goldblum.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Polanski speaks: "It's crazy! I don't hit women! Sure, I've raped a few, who hasn't? But hitting them? Absolutely not! Absurd! They're making me out to be some kind of monster, a monster that hits women instead of just drugging and raping them."
    Just because...

The (New) World

Talk on the radio this morning said Weinstein is getting off pretty much scott free.

A $25 million settlement that comes from the insurance company rather than his own pocket, and he doesn’t have to admit any wrong doing whatsoever.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Talk on the radio this morning said Weinstein is getting off pretty much scott free.

A $25 million settlement that comes from the insurance company rather than his own pocket, and he doesn’t have to admit any wrong doing whatsoever.
    Well, that monthly insurance will surely skyrocket :|

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The criminal case is still not over btw:

Mr. Weinstein is scheduled to be tried in Manhattan in early January on charges of sexual assault involving two women. On Wednesday, a state judge raised his bail after prosecutors accused him of mishandling his ankle monitor. While his criminal prosecution has drawn public attention, the largely hidden negotiations over civil claims have been far more consequential for many of his accusers, who include women from the United States, Canada, Britain and Ireland

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Producer
    Yeah, I don't know what the publisher, who already had Ronan Farrow, was thinking with this one.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Yeah, I don't know what the publisher, who already had Ronan Farrow, was thinking with this one.
    It's a separate imprint from the one that published Farrow's book.

Personally, I'm of two minds about the whole thing. On the one hand, obviously the publisher is free to pull the book for any reason; it's not infringing on Allen's free speech to deny him a book deal. On the other hand, although I wasn't planning to read Allen's memoir, I'd like to make that decision for myself rather than having my reading choices dictated by a vengeful mob of self-appointed censors. This would still be the case even if Allen had been convicted of molesting his daughter.

Also, the argument that publishing and promoting Allen's book somehow harms Dylan Farrow in particular and victims of sexual assault in general strikes me as unpersuasive. The implication seems to be that society has a responsibility to Dylan Farrow to scrub any evidence of Allen's existence, past or present, from the public sphere, lest Farrow have to endure the trauma of being reminded that Allen is a person who exists. But if we accept that Farrow has a right to tell her story to whoever will listen, don't we also have to extend the same right to Allen? And shouldn't the rest of us be free to listen to Allen or ignore him as we choose? There's an unspoken authoritarian impulse underlying the Farrows' campaign to end and erase Allen's career in the name of social justice.
    Just because...

The (New) World

- - - - -

Personally, I'm of two minds about the whole thing. On the one hand, obviously the publisher is free to pull the book for any reason; it's not infringing on Allen's free speech to deny him a book deal. On the other hand, although I wasn't planning to read Allen's memoir, I'd like to make that decision for myself rather than having my reading choices dictated by a vengeful mob of self-appointed censors. This would still be the case even if Allen had been convicted of molesting his daughter.
    I think the outrage was more "Why do we keep applauding rapists and creepers?"

Hachette, a French company, made the braindead PR decision to make the announcement on the heels of Polanski winning a Cesar.

This culture claims to respect women and care about their lives and safety. But if we really do, then we can't hand major awards and book deals to people like Roman Polanski and Woody Allen.

But if we accept that Farrow has a right to tell her story to whoever will listen, don't we also have to extend the same right to Allen?
    Obviously, no. If you believe her story then she's a victim and he's a pedo. Why must we listen to pedos?

And shouldn't the rest of us be free to listen to Allen or ignore him as we choose? There's an unspoken authoritarian impulse underlying the Farrows' campaign to end and erase Allen's career in the name of social justice.
    I think this is overstated. Allen's career is over and has been for awhile. Everybody realizes this but him. (I am so tired of septuagenarians who didn't have the good sense to die young or retire early.)

A book deal still carries prestige, which is why everybody in New York media wants one. The walk-outs and socially outraged aren't looking at this as if the book will simply be an object that exists in the world, for us to take interest in or not. They're looking at the whole of it: the hundreds of articles and hours of talk shows that will inevitably follow. There's enormous cultural baggage attached to a Woody Allen memoir and to pretend otherwise --- that it's just about publishing or censorship or any level of free speech --- is disingenous.
    Last edited by Irish; 03-08-2020 at 06:58 AM.

Obviously, no. If you believe her story then she's a victim and he's a pedo. Why must we listen to pedos?
    My point is we're not required to listen to either of them; only that Allen has the same right as Farrow to tell his story to anyone willing to listen.

I think the outrage was more "Why do we keep applauding rapists and creepers?"

Hachette, a French company, made the braindead PR decision to make the announcement on the heels of Polanski winning a Cesar.

This culture claims to respect women and care about their lives and safety. But if we really do, then we can't hand major awards and book deals to people like Roman Polanski and Woody Allen. [...]

I think this is overstated. Allen's career is over and has been for awhile. Everybody realizes this but him. (I am so tired of septuagenarians who didn't have the good sense to die young or retire early.)

A book deal still carries prestige, which is why everybody in New York media wants one. The walk-outs and socially outraged aren't looking at this as if the book will simply be an object that exists in the world, for us to take interest in or not. They're looking at the whole of it: the hundreds of articles and hours of talk shows that will inevitably follow. There's enormous cultural baggage attached to a Woody Allen memoir and to pretend otherwise --- that it's just about publishing or censorship or any level of free speech --- is disingenous.
    Regarding the issue of cultural prestige, the Bayreuth Festival still goes on each year and is attended by the German political and social elite, yet I don't take this to be a sign that Angela Merkel endorses Wagner's antisemitism. I suppose one could ask, "Why do we keep applauding Jew-haters?" And the answer would be that we applaud Wagner for his operas, and Dostoevsky for his novels, rather than their antisemitism, even if it periodically crops up in their work. Obviously, even at his best, Allen was never as great an artist as Wagner or Dostoevsky, or even Polanski; my point is simply that praise for his films does not preclude a concern for the lives and safety of women.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Also, the argument that publishing and promoting Allen's book somehow harms Dylan Farrow in particular and victims of sexual assault in general strikes me as unpersuasive. The implication seems to be that society has a responsibility to Dylan Farrow to scrub any evidence of Allen's existence, past or present, from the public sphere, lest Farrow have to endure the trauma of being reminded that Allen is a person who exists. But if we accept that Farrow has a right to tell her story to whoever will listen, don't we also have to extend the same right to Allen? And shouldn't the rest of us be free to listen to Allen or ignore him as we choose? There's an unspoken authoritarian impulse underlying the Farrows' campaign to end and erase Allen's career in the name of social justice.
    Exactly. I personally don't believe the Farrow's story so it's even worse from that perspective, but still, it's just plain censorship. I really hope it gets published somewhere else.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 03-08-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast