Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Celeb (and Celeb SO's) Sexual Harassment Thread

Why was Alyssa Milano at the Kavanaugh hearing?

Was she involved in some way?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Why was Alyssa Milano at the Kavanaugh hearing?

Was she involved in some way?
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/29/polit...ntv/index.html
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I realize I'm a fuckin' white male and all, but am I the only one concerned by the level of escalation the Kavanaugh accusations have taken? It seems the MSM have basically gone from "sexual misconduct" to "sexual assault" which, generally if I hear "sexual assault" I think rape-rape (in the parlance of Whoopi Goldberg), which isn't what Kavanaugh is being accused of here. Also, he was 17 and this was in 1982. I'm not excusing his behavior (I know he vehemently denies it, but for arguments sake, let's say he did it) but having been to high school parties in the 90s, I can imagine the HS parties of the early to mid 80s being even more crazy in the era of Porky's and Animal House. Hell, even the nice PG rated Sixteen Candles has some questionable behavior in it. I have no idea what transpired at that party between him and (the now) Dr. Ford, but I also think Kavanaugh in a beer soaked state could have thought he was engaging in "wacky hijinks" like something out of an 80s sex comedy. It all seems a bit strange to me, considering the implication that a) people don't change after high school or even as an undergrad and b) I think every guy that was remotely popular in high school or college went to parties in the 80s and 90s with quite a bit of questionable behavior happening, and I think every guy watching this unfold wonders if he had a wandering hand or whatever enough for someone to come back decades later and make accusations in that situation, esp. if they disagree with your politics.

I'm also ignoring the other allegations for now, which seem a lot more questionable to me (esp. Kavanaugh as a date rape party ringleader one).

Anyways, I would get that off my chest on facebook, but I feel a harem of women and even men would scold the fuck out of me. At least I'm semi-anonymous on here if Irish or whoever reads me the riot act.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

What I learned from the hearing is that even if we completely ignore the sexual stuff, he absolutely should be denied appointment because of the many examples in his speech of him being unable to be impartial.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    What I learned from the hearing is that even if we completely ignore the sexual stuff, he absolutely should be denied appointment because of the many examples in his speech of him being unable to be impartial.
    His reputation is completely wrecked and if you Google his name from now on, it'll be synonymous with "gang rape party ringleader." I'd be pretty fucking upset too. The generally middle-of-the-road and milquetoast USA Today even insinuated in an op-ed that he's a pedophile, which is appalling.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I just don't like the guy.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    His reputation is completely wrecked and if you Google his name from now on, it'll be synonymous with "gang rape party ringleader." I'd be pretty fucking upset too. The generally middle-of-the-road and milquetoast USA Today even insinuated in an op-ed that he's a pedophile, which is appalling.
    You'll have to take that complaint up with humanity.

I'm sure if he took that approach to the trial instead of the meltdown that he had, it wouldn't have blown up like it did.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Meltdown is an understatement when he turned the questioning around towards Klobuchar.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I wonder what would have happened if Kavanaugh offered Dr. Ford an apology and a hug? Wouldn't that be something if she accepted?

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I wonder what would have happened if Kavanaugh offered Dr. Ford an apology and a hug? Wouldn't that be something if she accepted?
    I'm guessing the last thing she wants is for him to have his hands on her again.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I'm guessing the last thing she wants is for him to have his hands on her again.
    I'm being an optimist. I want my cheeseball movie script ending. The Senate committee all stands up and slow claps. The CSPAN camera swoops in circles around their hug.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 10-01-2018 at 03:43 AM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I'm being an optimist. I want my cheeseball movie script ending. The Senate committee all stands up and slow claps. The CSPAN camera swoops in circles around their hug.
    I'll tell you how this movie ends: The FBI investigation neither clears Kavanaugh nor does it uncover definitive evidence that he sexually assaulted anybody. Conservatives and liberals find in the report confirmation of what they want to believe. The senate narrowly confirms Kavanaugh with support from moderate Republicans and he spends the next thirty to forty years attacking women from the bench. In the mid-terms, the Democrats take back the house just barely but Republicans keep the senate, resulting in legislative deadlock, and Trump gets reelected in 2020, winning the popular vote.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I'll tell you how this movie ends: The FBI investigation neither clears Kavanaugh nor does it uncover definitive evidence that he sexually assaulted anybody. Conservatives and liberals find in the report confirmation of what they want to believe. The senate narrowly confirms Kavanaugh with support from moderate Republicans and he spends the next thirty to forty years attacking women from the bench. In the mid-terms, the Democrats take back the house just barely but Republicans keep the senate, resulting in legislative deadlock, and Trump gets reelected in 2020, winning the popular vote.
    Seems pretty accurate.

Seeing that the Democratic Party still can't find anyone to hype as their next candidate seems baffling. It's not that far away.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

America, you’re special.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Sounds about white. I mean, right. Except Trump wins the Electoral College but loses the popular vote again. This country is trash.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    America, you’re special.
    ???

Howard Stern made a really good point this morning. He was abused, physically, through his early years of adolescence. Sometimes he would be beat up in the middle of class and he recounted a few instances where teachers would either look the other way, or blame him for causing a disturbance. He hated school so much because of this, and as he was explaining the instances, he realized, he doesn't remember who was in the class, any names of anyone, doesn't remember the time of day, and because of the trauma, sometimes he can't remember what happened in the minutes/hours after the abuse, but he sure does remember the kids name and of course, he remembers the beating.

Its almost like a sensory issue where you are so focused on what just happened, that everything else gets blocked out. So I sympathize with the victims here.

Producer
    I kinda see where trans is coming from. The combination of "it's the ol' days" and "boys will be boys" very publicly widespread sentiments/defensiveness feel like something so uniquely American when it comes to this horrific stuff. Comments, elsewhere and here, in that vein frankly bum me out beyond belief, especially after it appears this case strikes a hard chord with so many women that I see they share their stories even more than usual, maybe because of the prevalent nature of it. This article, Brett Kavanaugh and the Cruelty of Male Bonding, articulates this so well, and hopefully in a so non-condemning, matter-of-fact tone it will inspire no tortured defensiveness.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Of all the bizarre things about the American political system, the highest legal office in the country being a life appointment by whoever's in charge at the time is up there.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Of all the bizarre things about the American political system, the highest legal office in the country being a life appointment by whoever's in charge at the time is up there.
    Is this somehow different in the UK / Canada / AUS / NZ ? I always assumed it was similar since so much of the USA constitution is based on UK law.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Also, he was 17 and this was in 1982. I'm not excusing his behavior (I know he vehemently denies it, but for arguments sake, let's say he did it) but having been to high school parties in the 90s, I can imagine the HS parties of the early to mid 80s being even more crazy in the era of Porky's and Animal House. Hell, even the nice PG rated Sixteen Candles has some questionable behavior in it. I have no idea what transpired at that party between him and (the now) Dr. Ford, but I also think Kavanaugh in a beer soaked state could have thought he was engaging in "wacky hijinks" like something out of an 80s sex comedy.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I realize I'm a fuckin' white male and all, but am I the only one concerned by the level of escalation the Kavanaugh accusations have taken? It seems the MSM have basically gone from "sexual misconduct" to "sexual assault" which, generally if I hear "sexual assault" I think rape-rape (in the parlance of Whoopi Goldberg), which isn't what Kavanaugh is being accused of here. Also, he was 17 and this was in 1982. I'm not excusing his behavior (I know he vehemently denies it, but for arguments sake, let's say he did it) but having been to high school parties in the 90s, I can imagine the HS parties of the early to mid 80s being even more crazy in the era of Porky's and Animal House. Hell, even the nice PG rated Sixteen Candles has some questionable behavior in it. I have no idea what transpired at that party between him and (the now) Dr. Ford, but I also think Kavanaugh in a beer soaked state could have thought he was engaging in "wacky hijinks" like something out of an 80s sex comedy. It all seems a bit strange to me, considering the implication that a) people don't change after high school or even as an undergrad and b) I think every guy that was remotely popular in high school or college went to parties in the 80s and 90s with quite a bit of questionable behavior happening, and I think every guy watching this unfold wonders if he had a wandering hand or whatever enough for someone to come back decades later and make accusations in that situation, esp. if they disagree with your politics.
    Christine Blasey Ford accused him of pinning her to a bed, covering her mouth with his hand which prevented her from breathing, and refusing to let her up. This is not "misconduct", this is assault. This assault was instigated while he was attempting to remove her clothes and grinding his pelvis against hers. This is sexual in nature. That makes the crime a "sexual assault".

If you ever hear someone calling a single instance of rape an instance of "sexual misconduct", they are being incredibly disingenuous. If you ever hear someone calling a single instance of rape an instance of "sexual assault", they are being incredibly disingenuous. If you ever hear someone calling a rape a rape, they are being accurate. If you ever hear someone calling a sexual assault a sexual assault, they are being accurate. Sexual assault is the minimum that you could characterize Brett Kavanaugh's accusations. Christine Blasey Ford went further: She said that the assault was an attempted rape, which is worse.

Does one accusation of sexual assault against a man nominated to be a Supreme Court Justice deserve a hearing before the Senate Judicial Subcommittee? The Republican members of the Senate Judicial Subcommittee did, because they called for one. None of the details above are partisan.

I have never sexually assaulted someone in this manner. I have never witnessed someone being sexually assaulted in this manner. This type of behavior is, in the eyes of the law, a felony offense. To say that someone "could have thought he was engaging in 'wacky hijinks'" is to say that high schoolers often commit felony crimes while thinking that they are engaging in 'wacky hijinks'. I don't find that credible, sorry. To say that the statement "every guy watching this unfold wonders if he had a wandering hand or whatever" has any relevance to this case is absurd. A wandering hand is fundamentally different from a physical assault which involves someone pinning another person to a bed against their will and forcibly covering their mouth to the point where they can't breathe. If you think that "every guy watching this unfold" has done that, you live in a fucked up world full of criminals. There's no other way to put it. And this is just one of several crimes he is accused of.

These allegations are relevant to the confirmation proceedings because the primary and perhaps sole responsibility of a Supreme Court Justice is to maintain the integrity of the laws set forth in the Constitution, and it is extremely disqualifying for someone who has habitually violated these laws at any time, and especially in the present via perjury.
    I'm also ignoring the other allegations for now, which seem a lot more questionable to me (esp. Kavanaugh as a date rape party ringleader one).

Anyways, I would get that off my chest on facebook, but I feel a harem of women and even men would scold the fuck out of me. At least I'm semi-anonymous on here if Irish or whoever reads me the riot act.
    Why is it that you feel that it is an honest line of discussion to talk only of Christine Blasey Ford's allegations and not the others? I find this highly suspect. Let's consider:

The Republican members of the Senate Judicial Subcommittee determined that Christine Blasey Ford's accusation of sexual assault was worthy of a hearing.

However, the following did not happen:

1. Deborah Ramirez was not allowed to testify about her allegations of sexual assault, despite being willing to testify at the same hearing.
    2. Julie Swetnick was not allowed to testify about her allegations of sexual misconduct, assault using tampered beverages, contradiction of Kavanaugh's sworn statements regarding his drinking, and other details, despite being willing to testify at the same hearing.
    3. An independent investigation into all three accusations was not performed, despite this being the standard procedure.
    4. Corroborating witnesses were not allowed to testify, despite this being the standard procedure.
    5. Character witnesses were not allowed to testify, despite this being the standard procedure.

There is no reason why any of the 5 details above should not have been performed. The only coherent explanation for refusing to do all of the items above is that the Republicans wanted to limit the hearing to one single witness against one single defendant who claimed to be able to recall his actions for the entire period in question in order to constrain the public discussion to the limited set of details that were allowed in the hearing, against precedent and common sense.

There is no reason that the hearing to determine the credibility of one accuser should not have included the other accusers. Therefore, there is no reason that any conversation about Kavanaugh should not include the other accusers, as well as discussions about Kavanaugh's credibility.

There are now, thanks to journalists, multiple accounts which explicitly contradict statements that Kavanaugh provided under oath. There are now multiple accounts which corroborate accusations against Kavanaugh. There are also multiple witnesses who have not made their stories public that have stated their willingness to testify to the FBI. There is absolutely no reason why any discussion of Kavanaugh's behavior should characterize the allegations against him as anything other than the following:

Brett Kavanaugh is accused of multiple counts of sexual assault, assault, and lying under oath, of which all categories have multiple corroborating witnesses.

It is not honest to speak about unfairness about allegations against Kavanaugh without fairly speaking of all of the details concerning Kavanaugh's accusations.

I don't know you personally or have anything against you personally, but I think these things above are important to keep in mind in order to avoid being used as a pawn by others, which is exactly what the Republicans are trying to do. This is easily seen by the White House's initial attempts to artificially restrict the FBI's activities to exactly 4 additional witnesses, all of whom have already claimed to have no personal recollection of any events, and not to allow any of the multitude of additional witnesses named by the accusers and those who have come forth willingly. They are attempting to restrict all discussion and investigation to only the elements that they know they can contradict, and intentionally excluding those that can point to the truth. This is my conjecture, of course, but I don't think there is a coherent explanation other than this.
    Last edited by PURPLE; 10-02-2018 at 12:56 AM.

Is this somehow different in the UK / Canada / AUS / NZ ? I always assumed it was similar since so much of the USA constitution is based on UK law.
    In NZ, all judges in the Supreme Court must retire at 70. Appointments are made by the Attorney General, who is part of the sitting government. The candidates must be Court of Appeal or High Court judges. Seniority plays a major part in decisions, but is not a guarantee. No sitting judge has ever been removed before retirement.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I believe Canada's supreme court justices are also lifetime appointees but we haven't yet gotten to the point of actively politicizing the court like in the US.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast