0 0%
  • Nay

4 100.00%

Thread: The Snowman (Tomas Alfredson)

The Snowman (Tomas Alfredson)

THE SNOWMAN

Director: Tomas Alfredson

imdb

Michael Fassbender really needs a new agent, 'cause he sure has been in a whole lotta crap lately. He looked miserable all during this movie, and I'm not entirely convinced that was even acting on his part.

Apparently at least 10% of the script wasn't even filmed, and yeah, I can believe it. This movie is a god damn baffling mess, and you can tell that there's just entire chunks of plot and character development completely left out. But the story honestly has a lot in common with Wind River, which just came out, and was actually very competently written and directed, whereas this feels like the version of this story put together by hacks.

I also recall complaining about the amateur hour sound issues in The Invitation, and this movie gives that one a run for its money, which some of the worst and most blatant dubbing I've seen in a major theatrical release. All of Val Kilmer's line's are dubbed over by another actor, and they made like zero effort matching the words to his lips. Similarly, there's blatant ADR added to scenes that stand out because it doesn't even sound like they're being spoken in the same room as the actors on screen, and there's a moment where a guy is talking on his phone in the background, but we can still see his mouth moving as he speaks, only the words coming out of his mouth are, again, not lining up with his fucking mouth. Like, holy shit dude, this was just so fucking bizarre!

This movie sports an outstanding cast, including Fassbender, Rebecca Ferguson, Val Kilmer, JK Simmons, and Charlotte Gainsbourg, and absolutely all of them go completely wasted. And speaking of Ferguson, [
    ]

And then there's just a lot of this that just really doesn't make any sense, particularly the opening scene, and the way the characters are acting towards one another. Just, I was left scratching my head so much, wondering, what the hell is even happening, and why is everyone reacting the way they are? None of this makes any sense, lol.

I dunno, but this was a truly bizarre sit. I think people claiming it's the worst of the year are way overrating how bad it is (and releasing the same weekend as Madea, I highly doubt it's even the worst of the week), I honestly wouldn't even say it's in my Top 10 worst of the year. But yeah, it's definitely bad, though there was also definitely potential for this to be, I dunno, something, even if that something were still pretty generic, had it at least been fully shot and more competently edited together?

- - - - -
    Okay, I gotta ask --- what in God's name led you to purchase a ticket? This had terrible trailers, a silly poster, and received terrible notices. I don't mean that as any sort of criticism of you, TGM, but I'm kinda curious what made you want to see this movie.

#moviepass

but yeah its not good. NOT the worst movie of the year but there's an obvious lack of interest.

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Okay, I gotta ask --- what in God's name led you to purchase a ticket? This had terrible trailers, a silly poster, and received terrible notices. I don't mean that as any sort of criticism of you, TGM, but I'm kinda curious what made you want to see this movie.
    Michael Fassbender, and that's honestly it. I'll see just about anything he's in.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    #moviepass
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Michael Fassbender, and that's honestly it. I'll see just about anything he's in.
    Ahhhhhhh, gotcha. Both good reasons.

(I'm the same way with James McAvoy, Katherine Heigl, and Jude Law, which has led me to some baaaaad movies.)

Producer
    The more I read about this film, the more my morbid curiosity rises. (Probably gonna read the book first though)

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

(I'm the same way with James McAvoy, Katherine Heigl, and Jude Law, which has led me to some baaaaad movies.)

That reads like the cast of some terrible holiday-centric romantic comedy or something.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Sounds bad. This was not so long ago a Martin Scorsese movie.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Ha, I find all those actors dull as hell. Opinions, eh?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Ha, I find all those actors dull as hell. Opinions, eh?
    Heh. What performers would you watch no matter what?

Heh. What performers would you watch no matter what?
    None at all, to tell the truth. I'm more of a director + reviews + genre type person. Actors are expendable.

There are many actors I like, though, that may sway me to see a movie if I'm not totally convinced (in no particular order):

Joaquin Pheonix
    Ethan Hawke
    Jason Sudeikis
    Naomi Watts
    Colin Firth
    Jeon Do-yeon
    Song Kang-ho

I've hated McAvoy since Wanted; his attempt at Edward Norton circa Fight Club was so calculated and hollow that I can't help but see every performance of his since then as calculated and mannered. Seriously, that last line in that film coming from him is hilarious.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 10-27-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    None at all, to tell the truth. I'm more of a director + reviews + genre type person.
    Ah, yeah, that's where we differ heavily. Directors seem another form of celebrity (I'm not sure why I know who McG, Nolan, and Wright are, for example.) Not a huge fan of reviews until after the fact, and sadly most of the critics I like are dead!

Joaquin Pheonix
    Ethan Hawke
    Jason Sudeikis
    Naomi Watts
    Colin Firth
    Jeon Do-yong
    Song Kang-ho
    This is a pretty good list, though, have to admit.

(Song Kang-ho is terrific and I really want to see "A Taxi Driver.")

I want to see this because I really like Alfredson but if it's such a disaster...

Is it at least funny bad? Or boring bad?

It's just sorta like watching a trainwreck. Not really funny bad, but not boring, either.

To be fair, Fassbender also sees me seeing a lot of crap, though I have found myself enjoying some of his most lauded movies (LOVED The Counselor), so I figured maybe this would be the same? But no.

Kristen Stewart is also on my list, and I more consistently fare far better from those outings.

(Have you seen Victor Frankenstein, btw? If so, thoughts? McAvoy was MANIC in that one. One of my favorite over-the-top performances from him.)

- - - - -
    To be fair, Fassbender also sees me seeing a lot of crap, though I have found myself enjoying some of his most lauded movies (LOVED The Counselor), so I figured maybe this would be the same? But no.

Kristen Stewart is also on my list, and I more consistently fare far better from those outings.

(Have you seen Victor Frankenstein, btw? If so, thoughts? McAvoy was MANIC in that one. One of my favorite over-the-top performances from him.)
    !!!

"The Counselor" was tons of fun. I loved how Scott just let every actor go for it and nobody held back. Great movie---definitely one for my rolling "flawed but interesting" list.

Kristen Stewart would be on my list too.

I didn't have the heart for "Victor Frankenstein." I wanted to see it because of the cast, but my God the trailers made it look too silly. :P

!!!

"The Counselor" was tons of fun. I loved how Scott just let every actor go for it and nobody held back. Great movie---definitely one for my rolling "flawed but interesting" list.

Kristen Stewart would be on my list too.

I didn't have the heart for "Victor Frankenstein." I wanted to see it because of the cast, but my God the trailers made it look too silly. :P
    It is silly, but the its worth it solely for the cast, who have an absolute blast with the material. I'd say give it a shot, if you get a chance.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    If it wasn't for the Hollywood ending, this would be an OK movie.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?