View Poll Results: How's it going, mate?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Choice, bro!

25 92.59%
  • Stink as!

2 7.41%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Thor Ragnarok (Taika Waititi)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The amount of time and money used to put a digital eyepatch on Anthony Hopkins is funny to think about.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Yeah, that just seems like a weird call.

Did he just refuse to wear one?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    The amount of time and money used to put a digital eyepatch on Anthony Hopkins is funny to think about.
    Still not anywhere near as embarrassing as this, though:

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Looks like he was wearing one in the original footage, then they decided they wanted to color-adjust the eyepatch, and then they built a 3D render for sake of photorealism (maybe color-correcting frame by frame wasn't catching light in the right way).

Aaaah yeah that makes more sense.

This was so good. Top tier Marvel.

Waititi needs a little work on his action scenes, but everything here is overflowing with so much charm and sincere humor it’s hard to even fault it for its ho hum fights.

Visually striking, again particularly with Waititi’s comedy.

Haven’t seen such confident visual comedy since Edgar Wright.

- - - - -
    Having just rewatched after not connecting with it much the first time: Loved most every second. Pretty much laughed my ass off all the way through. This is a terrific piece of pop entertainment.

There's a shot at the end with the main characters --- Thor, Loki, Hulk, Valkyrie, etc etc --- and I kinda wished they'd do a spinoff series about "The Revengers" tooling around the galaxy solving, I dunno, local crimes or something. Ya know, instead of whatever lame shit they'll inevitably do for "Guardians 3."

What struck me this time was how great the production design was, and how much detail exists in the shots. This might be the best looking Marvel movie in the series. I loved how Waititi's team married the dayglo sensibility of 70s and 80s sci-fantasy to contemporary taste. It's like a little bit of Kirby and a little bit of Moebius, but it a $200 million blockbuster movie.

Thor might be edging out Cap as my favorite Marvel character. Hemsworth has grown into the role and Thor has the most interesting arc in the series.

(I'm half tempted to watch "Infinity War" just to see that one scene between Rocket and Thor again.)

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Nobody at the end of the film comments on whether or not Hulk can change back into Banner when that's a huge part of his final choice.
    True, but then nobody in the film notices that The Hulk spent 2 years on an alien planet murdering slaves. Which sorta ties into your other point about Thor not acknowledging the loss of friends on Asgard: There's a lot implied violence throughout that the film isn't equipped to deal with.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    True, but then nobody in the film notices that The Hulk spent 2 years on an alien planet murdering slaves. Which sorta ties into your other point about Thor not acknowledging the loss of friends on Asgard: There's a lot implied violence throughout that the film isn't equipped to deal with.
    Fair point.

Also, I like this movie more now than in my initial response. It's grown in my mind. The aesthetic, the combination of characters, and the colonialist subtext have aged well in my mind. This is one of the best of this whole damn saga, and I agree with you that it elevates Thor to a top-tier hero.

I wish this first deleted scene was in the movie.

I've traditionally hated the humor in Marvel movies because it's a cheap way to divert drama that's going on. However, when the comedy is intended from each level (dialog, visual gags, etc.) as it is in this one, it's working as a whole.

I watched the first hour of this and had to shut it off due to bedtime... Sorry... But I am really enjoying this. Look forward to watching the rest tonight.

Also, you can tell that Cate Blanchett and Anthony Hopkins feel refreshed with a role like this that isn't so serious.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Best Stan Lee cameo has to be this one.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345