View Poll Results: How's it going, mate?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Choice, bro!

25 92.59%
  • Stink as!

2 7.41%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thor Ragnarok (Taika Waititi)

Deadpool > Thor: Ragnarok

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The stale third act in Deadpool is much worse than the stale third act in Thor3.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Deadpool = Thor: Ragnarok > that precise moment where you have the crashing realization that you have wasted too much time on the Internet yet again after telling yourself a million times that you would be more productive when you had the chance, so you shut down the browser quickly and decisively and mutter recriminations at yourself and promise to do better, but who are you fooling, really?

I mean, more or less.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Producer
    Mystified at how dressing up a very leaden origin story in self-aware, self-satisfied, dirty humor (which is often amusing to me, I have to add) can make that feel so different to some; the core origin story is still more tired than usual even for this genre, which is a bit made up by the humor somewhat but still not enough. Thor: Ragnarok has a go at the irreverence Deadpool wants, and feel so much more organic and successful.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Deadpool = Thor: Ragnarok > that precise moment where you have the crashing realization that you have wasted too much time on the Internet yet again after telling yourself a million times that you would be more productive when you had the chance, so you shut down the browser quickly and decisively and mutter recriminations at yourself and promise to do better, but who are you fooling, really?

I mean, more or less.
    You could go watch Wisdom of the Crowd.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I laughed in Thor harder and more often than I did Deadpool. Is this a good metric?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

That's the metric I'm using. I laughed more often and harder during Deadpool, and groaned a lot more during Thor.

Yeah, same metric. Deadpool's jokes were often completely out of left field and surreal. In Thor, there were many moments where you could see them coming from miles away.

It's funny that Deadpool is an "official" satire, but Thor is marketed as a real superhero epic despite being mostly a comedy.

Well, we can at least agree that they're both way funnier than Logan.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I mostly laughed at situations in Ragnarok, not jokes. Way more subtle stuff. Like Goldblum's answer to how old he is, or his two scantily clad minions carrying those enormous ridiculous guns in the background.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I laughed in Thor harder and more often than I did Deadpool. Is this a good metric?
    It depends on the depth of the laugh, I guess?

I haven't seen Thor yet, but I would say I had deeper laughs at Thor's trailer than I did in Deadpools movie. I snickered a lot at Deadpool though.

Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    If you grew up in the 90s, Deadpool is funnier.
    Nooooooo!! Not even entirely sure what this means but even as someone who is shamelessly susceptible to '90s nostalgia, I will refute this characterization to my core.

Deadpool was almost entirely strained and annoying to me.

Ragnarok, on the other hand, delighted me and made me laugh heartily throughout. (Not to mention it has an actual, awesome visual imagination, whereas Deadpool is mostly a gray and red bore of concrete landscapes.) On fun-factor alone it's one if my very favourite of the MCU.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    Nooooooo!! Not even entirely sure what this means but even as someone who is shamelessly susceptible to '90s nostalgia, I will refute this characterization to my core.

Deadpool was almost entirely strained and annoying to me.

Ragnarok, on the other hand, delighted me and made me laugh heartily throughout. (Not to mention it has an actual, awesome visual imagination, whereas Deadpool is mostly a gray and red bore of concrete landscapes.) On fun-factor alone it's one if my very favourite of the MCU.
    Because 90% of the jokes were from the 90s.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Saw this last night - definitely the most straight up FUN I've had with the MCU yet. What a delight from start to finish. Such an unapologetic romp, loved it. I'm pretty sure this will wind up in my blu-ray collection, with a drinking game concocted shortly thereafter. Why, I'm already coming up with some rules.

DRINK WHEN...
    [
    ]

TAKE A SHOT WHEN...
    [
    ]
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Because 90% of the jokes were from the 90s.
    Hmmm. I suppose this would require remembering them, which I'm not sure I do.

I remember "Shoop"! (Is also the equivalent effort of its attempts at gags.)
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I don't really remember it having a lot of 90s references. I thought most of the jokes were current pop culture jokes (Jared Fogle, other superhero movies, etc).
    Movie Theater Diary

I saw this about two weeks ago. I know I laughed. I know I was entertained. And the 3D effects were actually quite bearable.

Like the rest of Marvel's stuff, it did not otherwise leave much of an impression on me.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

This was a fun, hilarious and near great sequel. I am reminded of how the third Iron Man was a leg up from the second film. Loved the cameos, too, and Goldblum stole the film.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I grew up in the 90s and liked both Deadpool and Thor 3. Both have different styles of humor.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I grew up in the 90s and liked both Deadpool and Thor 3. Both have different styles of humor.
    Are the RT forums history? I can no longer see them.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Are the RT forums history? I can no longer see them.
    Yes.

Yes.
    Really? You have this from good authority? Was there an announcement at all?
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Really? You have this from good authority? Was there an announcement at all?
    A few weeks ago there was a bunch of people posting about it on Facebook. I never bothered to follow up.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    This movie was fun and fairly on point with its character development and payoffs - something like Skurge's arc is slight and obvious but also clear and honest to his character and what we know of him. It's similarly predictable but satisfying to watch Loki return in the final act.

I wanted more Hela, and more Hela interacting with people of consequence. Also, Cate Blanchett in this movie is stunningly attractive. Maybe she could've grown beyond her function as the latest in the long line of galactic despots. That element of Marvel bothers me in the same way its overreliance on humor bothers other people. I'm just so damn bored of intergalactic despots who want to OWN THE UNIVERSE. Jesus, they're dull, and a huge part of why I'm not interested in Thanos at all.

Taika's sensibilities give the film a boost, but it also gets in the way of emotional beats that could've been, y'know, effectively emotional, like Thor watching his home get destroyed. Instead, Korg makes a crack about the foundations (a joke with a rhythm taken straight from the car explosion in Groundhog Day), and I guess we're supposed to laugh in that moment.

Agreed with number8 that it's super-weird that Thor has no perspective on his longtime friends dying, but maybe that's because the previous two films haven't really been good at integrating them into the stories or making them memorable, and anyway this film replaces all of them (and Jane) with Tessa Thompson's charming Valkyrie.

Nobody at the end of the film comments on whether or not Hulk can change back into Banner when that's a huge part of his final choice. I think they needed an epilogue beat with him dealing with the possibility that Banner may never come back, and reconciling that with his decision to go Hulk to stop Fenrir.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 01-29-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast