View Poll Results: How's it going, mate?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Choice, bro!

25 92.59%
  • Stink as!

2 7.41%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thor Ragnarok (Taika Waititi)

The actual Ragnarok plot is kinda lame, but the supporting cast is aces. This is a movie all about facial gestures and reaction shots. I was cracking up at Goldblum's every line.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

The now usual Marvel over-reliance on epic moment misdirect humor aside (seriously, is Marvel just the most insecure studio at this point or what?), I thought this was an absolute blast. Loved the music, and everything surrounding the all around production design of this thing. Also, more Karl Urban in space operas, please.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)

The [
    ] is suddenly undercut, considering the events of late. Interesting.
    Did you notice who played Odin?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yeah I saw him, which I enjoyed, tho at first I thought they had [
    ] as Thor, which would have been amazing but also kinda rude considering I think he went out for the role initially. (It was a Hemsworth, but another brother.)
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    The [
    ] is suddenly undercut, considering the events of late. Interesting.
    Don't quite get what you mean here.

Because he's been in the news with the Weinstein issue and people generally not having his response to it. Like at all. Just interesting, inopportune timing is all. Bout half a year ago or so, a cameo like that would be more "oh fun haha." Now it's sorta, "Oh...errr."

Also the snake reminiscence was terrific.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Thor 2 remains the one MCU film I haven’t seen.
    Funny to see that this is the MCU movie with the second highest RT score when Thor 2 is the lowest. Well done.

Good that people are starting to realize that Chris Hemsworth is much better as a comic actor than an action star.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Should I see this as someone who doesn't like majority of the Marvel movies?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Haha. A lot of Marvel nerds are letdown by how there's no emotion or drama and just a bunch of jokes.

Playing this as a straight action movie would be boring as shit. It's why the Asgard scenes dragged so much. It felt like a completely different film.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

You can still include drama and emotion without turning it into just a straight action movie. See: Guardians of the Galaxy.

It’s weird how people complain this has no emotional resonance or dramatic heft - I haven’t felt ANY emotional resonance or dramatic heft in any of the Marvel films... not a single one. I don’t find any of the Marvel characters to have any weight or depth - Captain America comes closest, but they deadened him into speechifying boredom in Civil War. At least this one (and GOTG and Avengers and Antman and the first half of Homecoming) has jokes that work.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 11-04-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

There is as much of that in Ragnarok as can be expected from a movie about gods and/or immortals. Asgardian refugees are still sheltered demigods, and there's nothing we can completely relate to. I was actually surprised at how much I actually cared. It's way funnier than most Marvel movies but I don't think it's lesser in any regard to any of them.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

It’s weird how people complain this has no emotional resonance or dramatic heft - I haven’t felt ANY emotional resonance or dramatic heft in any of the Marvel films... not a single one. I don’t find any of the Marvel characters to have any weight or depth - Captain America comes closest, but they deadened him into speechifying boredom in Civil War. At least this one (and GOTG and Avengers and Antman and the first half of Homecoming) has jokes that work.
    resonance
    Dunno about that. The "So was I" line from Stark gave me chills in Civil War. I could probably drum up some other examples but it's pointless.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Should I see this as someone who doesn't like majority of the Marvel movies?
    Depends; if the ones you DO like are the more comedic ones, sure. If you prefer the more grounded ones (like the Cap. movies) than it probably won't work for you. But Waititi is kind of his own thing - watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople, What We Do in the Shadows or Boy and then decide. Maybe you can appreciate it as a fan of the director....
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Dunno about that. The "So was I" line from Stark gave me chills in Civil War. I could probably drum up some other examples but it's pointless.
    That line was in the trailer, and it had more impact there than in the film, which had driven everything into the ground by that point.

Literally nothing has given me chills in a Marvel movie. Lots of laughs though, so I can deal.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    There is as much of that in Ragnarok as can be expected from a movie about gods and/or immortals. Asgardian refugees are still sheltered demigods, and there's nothing we can completely relate to. I was actually surprised at how much I actually cared. It's way funnier than most Marvel movies but I don't think it's lesser in any regard to any of them.
    I thought the movie deflated a little every time it cut back to Elba (I can't remember the character's name and can't be bothered looking it up) and his people; it was so colorless and rote, like LOTR cut scenes from Helm's Deep or something. Goldblum having the time of his life and the weird little story digressions and stupid-smart comedy were more my speed.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

On that note, I was surprised at what they did with the Warriors Three. Thor's best Asgardian pals and part of the main cast in the previous films... Wham! Gone.

If there was ever any doubt about dumping the legacy of two films, it ended right there.

Depends; if the ones you DO like are the more comedic ones, sure. If you prefer the more grounded ones (like the Cap. movies) than it probably won't work for you. But Waititi is kind of his own thing - watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople, What We Do in the Shadows or Boy and then decide. Maybe you can appreciate it as a fan of the director....
    Yeah. One good thing that can be said about Ragnarok is that it's the rare Marvel film that preserves the director's style.

On that note, I was surprised at what they did with the Warriors Three. Thor's best Asgardian pals and part of the main cast in the previous films... Wham! Gone.

If there was ever any doubt about dumping the legacy of two films, it ended right there.

Sif is still alive though.

It’s weird how people complain this has no emotional resonance or dramatic heft
    I'm surprised more comic book geeks are not saying this because the plot is cribbed from several sources which have been robbed of their agency with the comedic approach. Skurge's sacrifice with the dual M-16s in the comics is a dramatic, epic moment. And Planet Hulk is its own storyline that has nothing to do with Thor and would make an excellent solo movie.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    And Planet Hulk is its own storyline that has nothing to do with Thor and would make an excellent solo movie.
    I wouldn't say... has "nothing" to do with Thor... unless you're being technical. Or am I getting it confused with the Planet Hulk movie? I can't remember which is which right now but Hulk fights both the silver surfer and Beta Ray Bill in the pit.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I wouldn't say... has "nothing" to do with Thor... unless you're being technical. Or am I getting it confused with the Planet Hulk movie? I can't remember which is which right now but Hulk fights both the silver surfer and Beta Ray Bill in the pit.
    I haven't seen the animated movie. In the Planet Hulk comic all the cast surrounding big ol' green is original as far as I know. There's no Silver Surfer, no Beta Ray Bill.

What was wrong with Scourge's sacrifice in Ragnarok? I never thought any dramatic moment was lessened by the comedic nature of the film, which I FULLY expected, mind you. Well, perhaps Korg's line about the foundations in the end, that was silly.

What was wrong with Scourge's sacrifice in Ragnarok? I never thought any dramatic moment was lessened by the comedic nature of the film, which I FULLY expected, mind you. Well, perhaps Korg's line about the foundations in the end, that was silly.
    On second thought, you may be right about this. The character started as 100% comic relief but there was a build up to the sacrifice on every subsequent scene he shared with Hela.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I haven't seen the animated movie. In the Planet Hulk comic all the cast surrounding big ol' green is original as far as I know. There's no Silver Surfer, no Beta Ray Bill.
    Huh? He fights one of those two people in the gladiator pit in front of the Red King. That's how everyone is freed from the obedience disk.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast