View Poll Results: How's it going, mate?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Choice, bro!

25 92.59%
  • Stink as!

2 7.41%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thor Ragnarok (Taika Waititi)

I'm talking about the comic. Just checked Wikipedia and Beta Ray Bill is indeed in the animated film, but not in the comics.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I'm talking about the comic. Just checked Wikipedia and Beta Ray Bill is indeed in the animated film, but not in the comics.
    Okay, I couldn't remember which was which.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    The Iron Man 3 of the Thor franchise. While I like Shane Black's darker humor intersped and whiplashed by more serious drama better, a change of tone, and unmooring the hero for a time of his power and place, work equally well to revive the franchise from the baggage of lackluster second installment (I'm still one of the weirdos who like the first Thor a lot, and more than this one, though). Will need a second watch to see if the Asgard half coheres with the whole better, although I already enjoyed it enough thanks to Cate Blanchett's deliciously strutting performance and some clever bits of mythmaking reversals. The Sakaar stuff is just one blissfully, deliriously irrevelant and delightful stretch though. 7.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Ok, I re-read part of Planet Hulk last night. You were kind of right, Duke - the role played by Beta Bill in the movie is played there by an amnesiac Silver Surfer. And Thor appears in a small two page flashback scene where Korg tells the story of the fiercest battle of his life.

Ok, I re-read part of Planet Hulk last night. You were kind of right, Duke - the role played by Beta Bill in the movie is played there by an amnesiac Silver Surfer. And Thor appears in a small two page flashback scene where Korg tells the story of the fiercest battle of his life.
    It's kind of cool we've kind of got three versions of that scene where Hulk fights three of of his friends.

Would have been cooler if they worshiped the Hulk a bit more in this movie, and explained a little bit more why Hulk was so inclined to fight Thor. Would have also been cooler if Waititi figured out a way to intertwine the backed of revolution to something Hulk did. (I guess they sorta did when he freed Korg)... Almost like we were see the Planet Hulk story from Thors POV, and ended up just tagging along after Hulk frees the planet.

Is Beta Ray Bill 100% CGI?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Is Beta Ray Bill 100% CGI?
    He isn't in this movie (though he was going to be). Grouchy and I are referring to the Planet Hulk animated movie.

Forgot my MCU Rankings:

I've relaxed my praise for Homecoming after my second viewing. Also I've re-confirmed the worst movie is Incredible Hulk.

1.The Avengers 2012 ★★★★★
    2.Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2014 ★★★★★
    3.Avengers: Age of Ultron 2015 ★★★★½
    4.Thor: Ragnarok 2017 ★★★★½
    5.Spider-Man: Homecoming 2017 ★★★★½
    6.Captain America: Civil War 2016 ★★★★½
    7.Guardians of the Galaxy 2014 ★★★★½
    8.Iron Man 2008 ★★★★
    9.Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 2017 ★★★★
    10.Ant-Man 2015 ★★★★
    11.Doctor Strange 2016 ★★★★
    12.Iron Man 3 2013 ★★★★
    13.Captain America: The First Avenger 2011★★★½
    14.Thor 2011 ★★★½
    15.Iron Man 2 2010 ★★
    16.Thor: The Dark World 2013 ★★
    17.The Incredible Hulk 2008

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It's kind of cool we've kind of got three versions of that scene where Hulk fights three of of his friends.

Would have been cooler if they worshiped the Hulk a bit more in this movie, and explained a little bit more why Hulk was so inclined to fight Thor. Would have also been cooler if Waititi figured out a way to intertwine the backed of revolution to something Hulk did. (I guess they sorta did when he freed Korg)... Almost like we were see the Planet Hulk story from Thors POV, and ended up just tagging along after Hulk frees the planet.
    One of the few things I dislike about this movie is that it eliminates any chance of a Planet Hulk adaptation. I was reading the comic last night and damn, that story is good.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It’s weird how people complain this has no emotional resonance or dramatic heft - I haven’t felt ANY emotional resonance or dramatic heft in any of the Marvel films... not a single one. I don’t find any of the Marvel characters to have any weight or depth - Captain America comes closest, but they deadened him into speechifying boredom in Civil War. At least this one (and GOTG and Avengers and Antman and the first half of Homecoming) has jokes that work.
    I think the most I've probably felt is in the first Captain America when he crashes the plane at the end. Not a deep feeling, but there was something there, and in Evans' sincere performance of the do-gooder.

I am a simple man, I did get emotional a few times.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

There was definitely emotion in both Guardians movies, the first one especially. And for me personally, I definitely felt a bit of emotion during the final battle between Stark and Cap/Winter Soldier at the end of Civil War. But I wouldn't say a lack of emotion is necessarily the issue, more so that lately, they've had a tendency to deflate potentially iconic or "epic" moments with cheap groaner gags. People first really started pointing this out with Doctor Strange, how a lot of the comedy in that movie felt forced, and how a lot of it took away from various moments. And this trend continued in Guardians 2, which also misdirected a number of such serious and potentially iconic imagery with cheap gags. And I know that I felt this latest Thor was the worst offender in this regard, as they cheapened and deflated every possible moment that came there way, to the point where it was just obnoxious.

I equate Marvel's "Epic Moment Misdirect" tactic to jump scares in shitty horror movies. They're cheap, lazy, ineffective, and annoying. And it got to the point where I was telegraphing the gags, as they would set up the next "bad ass" epic moment, only to instantly pull the rug out from under us and let the scene fall completely flat (literally at times). However, this is a recent trend in these movies, and they're only getting worse with it. But can you imagine if they had done the same in earlier films. If during our big heroes lineup in the original Avengers, if they had someone do some sort of cheap prat fall that totally ruined the moment, would that same moment still resonate and stick with us in our minds the way it has? Hell, had they pulled this bullshit from the beginning, would this whole MCU project had even ever gotten off the ground in the first place?

It's almost as if Marvel have suddenly become embarrassed that they're even making superhero movies, so they've resorted to making spoof films instead, which this movie definitely feels like. But this change in attitude comes to the detriment of their own films, which have become more and more forgettable with each new entry, and this trend of deflating these iconic moments and keeping them from sticking with us well after the fact I feel is only contributing to making their newest movies more forgettable. It's like they hear the criticisms about DC being "too serious", and so now, Marvel's afraid to ever get serious at all, so they throw in as many jokes as they can in order to over-compensate.

It's an over-correction for an issue that was never there in the first place, and it's becoming more frustrating with each new entry. And that's honestly my biggest takeaway from this new movie a number of days later. There is so much great in this movie, and so much potential to be a genuinely great movie all around. But Marvel needlessly went in and neutered so much of their own movie in favor of something more light and expendable, and it pretty much makes me feel like all that potential, and all the greatness that was there, had all gone to waste.

There's nothing wrong with pulling the rug out from under us and subverting expectations, but if you're going to do so, it needs to be towards something that elevates the material. And these cheap gags do quite the opposite from that.
    Last edited by TGM; 11-07-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Updated:

Guardians of the Galaxy
    Iron Man 3
    The Avengers
    Captain America: Civil War
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Thor: The Dark World
    Iron Man
    Thor
    The Incredible Hulk
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Doctor Strange
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Ant-Man
    Iron Man 2

- Someone referred to the Asgard plot as a refugee story and I think that’s a really nice way of looking at it. Adds a layer to the use of Immigrant Song.

- “What? I’m not gonna fight your sister.” Fuck this movie is funny.

- The relentless parodying of Black Widow’s line from Ultron had me in stitches. It’s the best callback joke of this movie universe.

- I thought it was hilarious that Hela arrives talking about conquest and then for the rest of the movie she doesn’t get any of it basically because she can’t find the car keys.

- There’s really only one aspect that i thought the comedy approach was detrimental to and that’s the fact that Thor’s three best friends were murdered and he literally didn’t bother to say or feel anything about it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Sif is still around though... I think?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Yeah, literally because of scheduling conflicts.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I went into this knowing this is just a spoke on the wheel of Disney's road to killing cinema as we know it, so I was feeling really cynical about it. . .and ended up surprised at how much I liked it. It cleverly takes the clichéd prophecy storyline and relegates it to the B plot while the A plot is a sendup of cheesy 80s sci-fi, and executes its dry sense of humor well thanks to how the actors deliver deadpan sarcasm. My favorite gags come down to how the Pure Imagination song from Willy Wonka was used and [
    ]

The color scheme is cool to look at, the performances are fun, the score is awesome. . .yeah, good stuff all around. This is one of the movies from the MCU I'd happily revisit.

That being said. . .[
    ]

Quote Quoting transmogrifier
    Oh yeah: don’t bother waiting for the end credits scene. YouTube it later.
    I stayed anyway. It was worth it.

[
    ]
    Last edited by Ivan Drago; 11-12-2017 at 06:26 AM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Very, very amusing. I do wish its jokes to action ratio was even higher.

Some of the things that weren't in the trailer, such as Hulk[
    ] at the end were fucking hilarious!

The best Thor, far funnier than Deadpool.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    far funnier than Deadpool.
    Eh, not in my book.

Eh, not in my book.
    If you grew up in the 90s, Deadpool is funnier.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I thought it was hilarious that Hela arrives talking about conquest and then for the rest of the movie she doesn’t get any of it basically because she can’t find the car keys.
    Thought it was very funny when the camera pulls way back and her voice is distant when she says the line, "'Whoever you are'!? Weren't you listening to anything I just said...." Very clever use of basic camera techniques and staging to get a laugh.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

The snake story is the funniest thing in the MCU and Deadpool.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

And he knows I love snakes.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast