Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mindhunter

Mindhunter

There’s no way I’m the only one here watching this...
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

- - - - -
    I binged it last weekend

It's good, albeit a little repetitive. The cast is ace and I kept watching for them, for their chemistry, and to see how certain subplots would play out.

Yeah, it's better than I expected. Actually, it's not at all what I expected. I wasn't even interested when I saw the trailers, and started it on a lark because I was home sick. Ended up watching the whole season. Lots of cliches abound, and the investigation episodes are just souped up (cabled up?) Criminal Minds, but what I liked:

- It's worth mentioning that it's unique how it has practically zero on-screen violence. Considering the unsavory subject, I believe this made it much easier to binge than it would have been otherwise. It manages to be extremely creepy in parts without being grotesque.

- Pleasantly surprised by how much it talks about how this type of crime are typically unique to ideas of masculinity. I got a chuckle out of him having to explain to a classroom of kids that statistically only boys become disturbed individuals. And it's funny that there's a whole significant subplot about whether or not it's ok to use the word "cunt."

- Groff is terrific in this. I thought I knew what his character type is (the off-kilter, intellectual cop pursuing beyond procedure), but seeing the way he subtly morphs throughout the season is fantastic. I knew the "I can't let these guys rub off on me" line early on would be foreshadowing, I just didn't expect it to be handled so smartly. To tie it to my previous two points, I think this is a result of centering the show on misogyny, rather than violent acts. A lesser show would just have him become more violent or sociopathic, rather than just crass and contemptuous.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Also -- per creepiness and exploitation -- I liked how they contrasted the whole school principal subplot against everything else that was going on, and kept that going for a few episodes.

That whole thing made my skin crawl and I kept thinking about it and none of it is exploitative.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Ok, I'll add it to my queue.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

First episode. So far so good.

Scaled down Fincher still looks good.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Finished this last night.

Incredible stuff from start to finish.

The cast is incredible across the board. The two leads have such great chemistry.

I want season 2 now.

Also, we all know who Dennis is, right?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    First episode. So far so good.

Scaled down Fincher still looks good.
    Second episode. Now I'm totally in. The scenes with Edmund Kemper... What an actor. I seeked out info on Kemper afterward, and it's scary how some of the dialog is lifted straight from the interview, and how well the actor mirrored Kemper.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, Kemper was the show stealer for me.

The other interviews are great too but he was just incredible.

Watched the first three episodes last night. Fantastic. Love the affected dialog. It's weird how the show seems to drift in and out of the hardboiled detective genre and a more straight forward crime-drama piece. Really liking it so far.

4 and 5.

This will be the first Netflix show I finish an entire season of, I believe.

Literally got goosebumps at the end of the fifth episode.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    https://vimeo.com/239193453

^ "Breakdown reel showcasing David Fincher's invisible visual effects in the Netflix Original Series Mindhunter."

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    The first episode of this was so bad we couldn't continue.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    What did you find unwatchable? I've seen this reaction---couldn't get past the first episode---from a few people so I'm curious.

Only subplot I'm not digging happens around episode 7 with the teacher deal. Kind of eyeroll worthy. Hoping it's a one episode deal.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Only subplot I'm not digging happens around episode 7 with the teacher deal. Kind of eyeroll worthy. Hoping it's a one episode deal.
    Agree that it was a bit off kilter to the rest of the show, but it has payoff.

I don’t understand.

???? The school subplot is fucking great. Like Irish said, it's deeply unsettling. What.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    What did you find unwatchable? I've seen this reaction---couldn't get past the first episode---from a few people so I'm curious.
    It was the horrendous dialogue and terrible acting from everybody involved, mostly, but the episode also felt so meandering and pointless overall that I didn't have one iota of desire to see where it went.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I still just don’t understand.

The dialogue is great and the acting is top notch start to finish.

It was the horrendous dialogue and terrible acting from everybody involved, mostly, but the episode also felt so meandering and pointless overall that I didn't have one iota of desire to see where it went.
    the dialog and acting switches between the crime-drama genre and hard boiled detective genre. It's almost Mametesque sometimes in its cadence and rhythm, especially in the bar in the first episode. While watching that scene I told my wife that I couldn't quite figure out if it was bad or an affected stylistic choice. Turns out is the later and this becomes readily apparent in the series.

I love Tench. The actor is incredible.

Welp, finished it all. The final episode comes across pretty "TV-ish" with some subplots that try to wrap themselves up faster than it needed to be. There's a lot of convenient things that just come out of nowhere here, but the rest of the show was so damn good that I don't want to harmonize on it much.

Plus, the Kansas killer simply being an opener and closer for the show without ever being mentioned is a device that I can't think has ever been used.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, BTK's inclusion is really effective in selling the atmosphere, but it is a bit bizarre. Given that the guy wasn't caught until the 21st century, it's unlikely to lead anywhere. I'm not sure what the intent was, but I dug it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I love Tench. The actor is incredible.
    Holt McCallany is great, but this character does nothing for me. He has what I thought was the worse scene on the show, the "You want me to bring my work home?" scene. I get that it's yet another examination of masculinity that's supposed to be in contrast to Holden's dynamic with his home life, but it's such a dumb cliche.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast