Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Cinematic (and TV, What the Hell) Pet Peeves

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    The easiest way to minimize risk when reading something new is to give it 50 pages. If you don't like it by 50 pages, put it down and start something else.

Quite early, quit often, and you'll read and enjoy more.
    What do you do when you're in the middle of a series?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I find quitting TV shows super easy.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I find quitting TV shows super easy.
    Me too.

Book series?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Me too.
    I just realized Duke is probably talking about book series.

Still, the "sample and quit" option is a good one, particularly in Netflix era where you are not paying by movie. I've only ever walked out of a movie once (because of sound issues), but I've quit watching a lot of movies. I've never understood those who criticize Mike D'Angelo, who has a habit of walking out after 20-40 minutes of things he doesn't like. Why not? Life is short.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I just realized Duke is probably talking about book series.

Still, the "sample and quit" option is a good one, particularly in Netflix era where you are not paying by movie. I've only ever walked out of a movie once (because of sound issues), but I've quit watching a lot of movies. I've never understood those who criticize Mike D'Angelo, who has a habit of walking out after 20-40 minutes of things he doesn't like. Why not? Life is short.
    I've had a few experiences where the ending makes the movie for me.

And yes I was talking about book series.

I'm reading through the Dark Tower right now, Books 1-4 phenomenal. Book 5 was god awful that it took me more than a half of a year to finish. Now I'm on book 7 and it picks back up to the pace I loved. So do I quit Book 5 and stop reading the series? Or do I power through it to the end? I choose the latter. And it worked out.

I assumed Duke meant book series. Those are much harder to quit.

I've quit movies based on the opening credit fonts.

But there comes a point at which the potential payoff of the hypothetical best possible ending is outweighed by the slog of getting there. Also, we’ve all watched enough movies by now to know when something is not in our wheelhouse.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

But there comes a point at which the potential payoff of the hypothetical best possible ending is outweighed by the slog of getting there. Also, we’ve all watched enough movies by now to know when something is not in our wheelhouse.
    Fair point. I personally like the feeling of completeness. It's how I play my video games too.

There's been 1 movie in my life I walked out of. Rep to the person who guesses it. (I will accept general franchise guesses; e.g. Star Wars if the movie was Attack of the Clones)

- - - - -
    I'm a little bit more interested in this -- which movies?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I'm a little bit more interested in this -- which movies?
    Oh jeeze... Blair Witch Project, Certified Copy, Payback, Count of Monte Cristo.....

Inspiration from another thread. The general presence of these actors are a pet peeve:

James McAvoy
    Miles Teller
    Emma Watson
    Domhnall Gleeson
    Jared Leto
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I understand 4 of those names, but McAvoy is a draw for me.

At this point, I think Jared Leto is the main reason I still haven't seen Suicide Squad or Blade Runner 2049.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Stop reading and pick up something else.

This whole idea of sticking with a book you don't like, one that you're reading for your own pleasure, is insane

I'm reading through the Dark Tower right now, Books 1-4 phenomenal. Book 5 was god awful that it took me more than a half of a year to finish. Now I'm on book 7 and it picks back up to the pace I loved. So do I quit Book 5 and stop reading the series? Or do I power through it to the end? I choose the latter. And it worked out.
    Book V is the best of the entire series, and the best single book King has ever written. Read it seven times now, and it gets better every time.

Book V is the best of the entire series, and the best single book King has ever written. Read it seven times now, and it gets better every time.
    Yeh no to all that.

OK. You're right. Sorry.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    At this point, I think Jared Leto is the main reason I still haven't seen Suicide Squad or Blade Runner 2049.
    Hahah I was wondering where was your opinion on BR2049.

Natalie Portman used to famously annoy me like that, but I guess I just grew up (?).

Just because you can make a CGI sunset, that doesn't mean you should.

You're right. Let's sit around for a week so we can capture the perfect light we need for that shot.

You're right. Let's sit around for a week so we can capture the perfect light we need for that shot.
    Well... Yeah?

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Well... Yeah?
    Time is money. And it's not even guaranteed you'll get the shot. So why bother?

Time is money. And it's not even guaranteed you'll get the shot. So why bother?
    *sigh* Because real sunsets exist and can be beautiful and CGI is CGI.

Regardless, in this particular case, the entire movie is CGI so I sort of get doing it. I find it more offensive in something like After Earth where there's a lion scene with a CGI lion. That's just pointless.

This is a good video about justified use of CGI:

I guess i'm just confused on what the alternative would be if you're on a schedule or what your suggestion would be to address it, especially if you're shooting the majority in a studio. You're not going to send the entire cast and crew out to a mountain and wait for a sunset that may not even happen. Maybe that was the only option back in the 80s, but we don't really need to do that anymore.

Or are you suggesting they send a Assistant director out to film a REAL sunset and green-screen it in?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast