Thread: Ehrlich's Top 25 video for 2017

- - - - -

Ehrlich's Top 25 video for 2017

https://vimeo.com/245670075

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/dav...it-1201903497/

Always fun & worth talking about once you dig down into the top 10 or so.

Hooray, excited to watch this when I get back to my desk. He always does a killer job. Even more impressive considering he still cuts them in FCP7.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Hooray, excited to watch this when I get back to my desk. He always does a killer job. Even more impressive considering he still cuts them in FCP7.
    How's that possible? Does he have all that raw HD footage on his HD?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

All studios, distributors, and agencies have publicity websites where you can download HD images and trailers, tv spots, and clips to use for your coverage. Anyone with a login can do it (ahem).
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    That, and most crix received DVD screeners of these movies in the last 3-4 weeks.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Yeah, that's something that's actually bummed me out a bit about these montages over the years. It's remarkable what Ehrlich is able to do with the footage companies allow, but I always wonder how good they could be if he could just have the full movie and grab more kinds of shots than what we've seen in trailers and spots. These are no doubt difficult as hell to assemble as-is, though, and getting the full footage would make the process about 10x harder, so it's probably just as well.

EDIT: Him ripping DVD screeners is unlikely, though, since those are still released in DVD SD format, which is below what I believe he needs resolution-wise.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    EDIT: Him ripping DVD screeners is unlikely, though, since those are still released in DVD SD format, which is below what I believe he needs resolution-wise.
    Plus, screeners are usually watermarked and/or encrypted.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

(I assume we're just talking about the recent awards-season movies. Movies like Personal Shopper and Get Out are obviously already easily available to rip).
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Eh. Not a hill I want to die on or anything but (a) some screeners are Blu-rays; it varies by studio and production company and (b) watermarking isn't consistent, and some screeners do not have watermarks on every second of footage and (c) who cares?

I speculated because Duke asked a basic question. There's several different ways Ehrlich could get hi-def footage (up to and including out-and-out piracy). Not everything from his vid looks like PR and trailer clips.

That's all.

Wait, what’s wrong with Final Cut Pro 7? It still edits things.

He's probably the best at cutting the tops of the year lists, without resorting to throwing in forced shots of movies. This one had a ton of Baby Driver in his intro, so it was kind of surprising to see it at #23, but whatevs.

Rick-roll was a weird music choice. Was that prevalent in a movie?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Wait, what’s wrong with Final Cut Pro 7? It still edits things.
    Ultimately nothing, I guess. He probably has to render way too often, but whatever. It's just been out of major use for five or six years. Somewhat endearing to see it given that most have moved on to Premiere.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Eh. Not a hill I want to die on or anything but (a) some screeners are Blu-rays; it varies by studio and production company and (b) watermarking isn't consistent, and some screeners do not have watermarks on every second of footage and (c) who cares?
    I found it interesting because my roommate has been a producer's guild member for years, and we've never gotten a Blu. Maybe it varies depending on guild and stature. It wasn't my intent to be combative.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Ultimately nothing, I guess. He probably has to render way too often, but whatever. It's just been out of major use for five or six years. Somewhat endearing to see it given that most have moved on to Premiere.
    This was my take.

BTW, sorta related- I found a bunch of short clips I made in high school recently. Debating whether to throw them up on youtube. One of them was a tribute video based around my love for Bradley Nowell circa 1999/2000. I think I made them on FCP / Premiere.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Another Guardians of the Galaxy year and its song has been upgraded to a whole intro.

Fav whole song to match with all its films: "I'm Every Woman"
    Fav individual matches: "My Way" with Faces Places (or rather with Varda), "Mystery of Love" with Columbus

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Rick-roll was a weird music choice. Was that prevalent in a movie?
    At the end apart from listing all the films in text, he also lists the songs used and where they're from. That is from The Disaster Artist.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5