View Poll Results: BLADE RUNNER 2049

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

32 88.89%
  • Nay

4 11.11%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049 (Denis Villeneuve)

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    This didn't blow my mind, but it was pretty enough, and its two hours and forty minutes held my interest if not my emotions (or much of my brain). The better movie in here is a smaller piece about K the replicant and his interactions with Joi. I liked that idea of AI infinite regress, where even replicants have their servants, and maybe those servants of servants have their own quiet dreams.
    That's essentially Her or Ex Machina although with more literal robots rather than antisocial aspergery men.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Lars and the Hologram Girl.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    That's essentially Her or Ex Machina although with more literal robots rather than antisocial aspergery men.
    I haven't seen either of those.

[kicks dirt]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Blows me away sometimes when they can turn something like this

into this

https://vimeo.com/248179339
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I love that the foreground and the car look pretty much exactly the same before and after CGI was added to the shot, so the CGI is basically a matte painting. A lot of movies with CGI put a color filter over the whole shot. It helps to blend the live action and the CGI, but it also adds a layer of falseness. 300 is a pretty egregious example of this. Blade Runner did an amazing job avoiding it.

They also used real models.

Last edited by Mysterious Dude; 12-24-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Has to be pretty funny to film that scene and put trust in the CGI designers.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I forgot to bring this up at the time, but here's another example of excellent deaging/CGI on an actor, and makes me question how/why Disney allowed Tarkin and Leia to look so bad

https://vimeo.com/249369342

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I would agree with the few dissenters that this shares some of the shortcomings of the original movie. Like it's predecessor, it's high on technical competency, but a bit short on humanity and pathos. As a performer, I like Gosling most of the time, but he occasionally gets in modes where he plays his emotions too close to the vest, and I think that's the case here. Irish also mentioned Robin Wright giving her first flat-out bad performance, and I sadly agree. I'm a fan of Wright, but everyone has a range, and this material did not suit it.

Still, it's hard to deny the film's other cinematic merits. Velleneuve still holds court as a master of texture and scope. I'm not sure there's anyone in the game who's doing it at a higher level in the straight narrative format right now. The storytelling, while flawed, is engaging enough to give weight to the premium visuals. And unlike some other top-tier technicians, I think Velleneuve has the ability to deftly vacillate between good storytelling and evocative design. Not the best I've seen from him in that respect, but at the very least, the overall product is certainly engaging and memorable.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 01-05-2018 at 12:37 AM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I've had a week to digest this, and its growing on me. Like the original movie its going to take a few trips to fully absorb the plot. The technical aspects on the other hand were masterful. I cannot wait to see what he does with Dune, and I'm so glad he passed on Bond to continue developing Dune because I would much rather see that.

This was really good, but did not approach the greatness of the first film. Also I wonder if all involved thought there would be another film considering how it ends. Gosling seems to be channeling his performance in Drive for most of the movie. Villeneuve has done better, as has Deakins (so of course Deakins won for this flick and not say, Skyfall, or the other tons of other movies he already should have won the Oscar for). Why was Leto or Robin Wright even in this movie? The more I think about this flick, the more I wonder if I have to watch it again to get more out of it.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    The more I think about this flick, the more I wonder if I have to watch it again to get more out of it.
    Thats how my first few viewings of the original went, so I'm reserving hard judgement on 2049 until I watch several times.

I warmed up to it upon second viewing. Especially getting to see it in the comfort of my own home instead of the overbearing theater system. It's still not completely satisfying, but I can live with that.

I was a lot more into this on my second viewing. Plus, when all the reviewers say the 4K Blu-ray is reference quality, they sure weren’t kidding.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

That's it. I need a 4K TV.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That's it. I need a 4K TV.
    I told myself Blu Ray was my last media where I’d double dip movies. Yeah, I was lying to myself, but I will at least be more selective.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -
    How big is the screen and how far are you sitting from the television?

Last fall I was tempted to get a 4K tv but held off because of the distance / resolution thing. Ie, The farther you are the less you notice the higher rez, unless you opt for crazy wall-size screens.

So for me it's like 4K videogames fuck yes but 4k movies meh maybe not so much.

ETA: Should point out I'm still jealous of Scar's setup.

All I know is the 1080p, even vudu streaming quality, was just damn beautiful. I'm sure 4k is mind melting.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    How big is the screen and how far are you sitting from the television?

Last fall I was tempted to get a 4K tv but held off because of the distance / resolution thing. Ie, The farther you are the less you notice the higher rez, unless you opt for crazy wall-size screens.

So for me it's like 4K videogames fuck yes but 4k movies meh maybe not so much.

ETA: Should point out I'm still jealous of Scar's setup.
    We've got a 65" curved Samsung. I only went with the curved because one of our Sam's Clubs closed, and I was there day one of it closing and got 20% off, plus the instant savings due to the current add. The next day they disabled the instant savings discounts. I maaaay have had prior knowledge that this would happen, due to A) I service Sam's Clubs, B) My wife works/worked for Sam's Club, C) Both.

And in a totally unrelated note, my wife starts her job at Total Wine next week. I think I hear my liver silently weeping....

Anyways, distance is about 8-10', and I definitely notice it. The sound is awesome as well, but I think it may be the same mix on the regular blu ray. We have mid to high end Warfdale speakers and powered sub, and a receiver that can actually handle the 4 ohm speakers. Biggest decision now is whether or not to install two speakers in the ceiling when we finish the basement to get the total ATMOS experience.

If I ever buy an OLED, I may never leave the house.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast