Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Awards Talk - 2018

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I honestly never know by what metric the DGA judges "good direction." I always feel like great performances should count as points to the director, but I don't know if it does when it comes to awards.
    I mean, what metric judges any award by that matter?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I mean, what metric judges any award by that matter?
    Metric was the wrong word, but you can specify what is being judged with most categories, especially technical ones. "Directing," however has always been ill-defined in terms of results. How do you look at what's in a film and tangibly isolate the products of the director's instructions and leadership, versus the accomplishments of the responsible departments?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah, exactly. You'd have to measure the level of micro-management of each separate director to make it a fair comparison.

A Robert Altman film could not run against a Stanley Kubrick one, for example.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Metric was the wrong word, but you can specify what is being judged with most categories, especially technical ones. "Directing," however has always been ill-defined in terms of results. How do you look at what's in a film and tangibly isolate the products of the director's instructions and leadership, versus the accomplishments of the responsible departments?
    Mike Nichols stands out to me in this. Take a movie like Closer/Angels in America, which is so filled with dialog but always interesting to watch on screen at the same time for the use of blocking, mood, set, etc.

I think Molly's Game, while with a pretty good script, could've improved if it had a stronger director instead of being a debut from Sorkin.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

When I consider 'Best Director', I am looking at the overall artistic vision. Is there a unified concept in all production elements that supports the film's purpose? Is this the best version of this particular idea/script? Has the director supported/encouraged artistic risks/innovation? Has the director created a work that leaves evidence of their unique artistry/personality?
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Final Picks -
    Supporting Actress -- Humblebrag that I had Alison Janney when she was 40-1 odds. She's now 9-4.

Adapted Screenplay --
    OUT : Victoria and Abdul
    IN : All the Money in the World

Original Screenplay --
    OUT : The Big Sick
    IN : I, Tonya

Cinematography --
    OUT: The Beguiled
    IN : Mudbound

Costumes --
    OUT: Dunkirk/Darkest Hour
    IN : Shape of Water / Murder on the Orient Express

Production Design --
    OUT : Darkest Hour
    IN : Beauty and the Beast

Sound Editing --
    OUT: War for the Planet of the Apes
    IN: Baby Driver

Sound Mixing --
    OUT: Beauty and the Beast
    IN: Baby Driver

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Oscar Nominations:

PRODUCTION DESIGN
    Beauty and the Beast
    Blade Runner 2049
    Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    The Shape of Water

CINEMATOGRAPHY
    Blade Runner 2049
    Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    Mudbound
    The Shape of Water

COSTUME DESIGN
    Beauty and the Beast
    Darkest Hour
    Phantom Thread
    The Shape of Water
    Victoria & Abdul

SOUND EDITING
    Baby Driver
    Blade Runner 2049
    Dunkirk
    The Shape of Water
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi

SOUND MIXING
    Baby Driver
    Blade Runner 2049
    Dunkirk
    The Shape of Water

ANIMATED SHORT FILM
    Dear Basketball
    Garden Party
    Lou
    Negative Space
    Revolting Rhymes

LIVE-ACTION SHORT FILM
    DeKalb Elementary
    The Eleven O’Clock
    My Nephew Emmett
    The Silent Child
    Watu Wote/All of Us

ORIGINAL SCORE
    Dunkirk
    Phantom Thread
    The Shape of Water
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

VISUAL EFFECTS
    Blade Runner 2049
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    Kong: Skull Island
    War for the Planet of the Apes

FILM EDITING
    Baby Driver
    Dunkirk
    I, Tonya
    The Shape of Water

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
    Darkest Hour
    Victoria & Abdul
    Wonder

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
    Allison Janney, I, Tonya
    Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
    Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
    Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
    Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
    Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World
    Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
    A Fantastic Woman, Chile
    The Insult, Lebanon
    Loveless, Russia
    On Body and Soul, Hungary
    The Square, Sweden

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
    Edith and Eddie
    Heaven Is A Traffic Jam on the 405
    Heroin(e)
    Knife Skills
    Traffic Stop

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
    Abacus: Small Enough to Jail
    Faces Places
    Icarus
    Last Man in Aleppo
    Strong Island

ORIGINAL SONG
    “Mighty River,” Mudbound
    “Mystery of Love,” Call Me By Your Name
    “Remember Me,” Coco
    “Stand Up For Something,” Marshall
    “This Is Me,” The Greatest Showman

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
    The Boss Baby
    The Breadwinner
    Coco
    Ferdinand
    Loving Vincent

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    Call Me By Your Name, James Ivory
    The Disaster Artist, Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber
    Logan, Scott Frank, James Mangold, Michael Green
    Molly’s Game, Aaron Sorkin
    Mudbound, Virgil Williams and Dee Rees

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    The Big Sick, Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani
    Get Out, Jordan Peele
    Lady Bird, Greta Gerwig
    The Shape of Water, Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Martin McDonagh

BEST ACTOR
    Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
    Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
    Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
    Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
    Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

BEST ACTRESS
    Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
    Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
    Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
    Meryl Streep, The Post

BEST DIRECTOR
    Dunkirk, Christopher Nolan
    Get Out, Jordan Peele
    Lady Bird, Greta Gerwig
    Phantom Thread, Paul Thomas Anderson
    The Shape of Water, Guillermo del Toro

BEST PICTURE
    Call Me By Your Name
    Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    Get Out
    Lady Bird
    Phantom Thread
    The Post
    The Shape of Water
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

- - - - -
    This is gonna be a painful run up to the ceremony.

How many noms did "Shape of Water" get? It was too many.

I don't know why I always remember the screenplay category fondly, because the WGA fucks me over every year. This year might be the worst of the last 5 or 10.

I'll take more of Tiffany Haddish and Andy Serkis in anything, though. Theirs was easily the best announcement broadcast of the previous few years. It was actually fun.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Get Out getting nominated for Best Picture is incredible.

The Post getting nominated for Best Picture is laughable. (I haven't see it)
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    That is just an amazing line-up of director nominees that I can't get too upset Luca Guadagnino doesn't make it (although over here a lot are so disappointed that we miss the chance to have the first Thai Oscar nominee ever with CMBYN's cinematography lol).

Good, interesting nods in Screenplay.

I feel like the rise of Phantom Thread, despite late screeners and its lack of momentum or awards buzz from other shows, is really fascinating. Passionate picks and/or more newer cinephile types now that they let more varied groups of people in? Also maybe because this year lacks a very clear frontrunner in a lot of categories too (might be why McDonagh couldn't come along the coattail of Three Billboards' buzz).
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

lol Christopher Plummer
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I thought, wow, Spielberg being shut out by these young directors, and then I realized PTA and Nolan are nearly 50 and GDT is 53, and now it's just, oh my God, it's 2018, and where on Earth did the time go?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Biggest surprises for me:

- I just saw Phantom Thread yesterday, and thought, "I loved this but can't imagine it getting nominated for much tomorrow." -- so I definitely didn't expect Anderson for Director or BEST PICTURE. Day-Lewis and especially Manville were nice to see too, though I think Krieps is the standout and most deserving.

- Dafoe being The Florida Project's one and only nomination is extremely disappointing, as he is just one of many fantastic things about it. I wonder if because of the preferential ballot system, it could've hypothetically been tons of people's #2 or #3 and fallen away as a result.

- Maybe the best Best Director category in recent memory? McDonagh being left out makes Anderson getting in there, Peele and Gerwig being properly acknowledged not just great for the statistics against them, but for the fact that they are entirely the creative impetuses for the invaluable and singular films they made that reflect their voices, and first-ever nominations for Nolan and del Toro (whose award it now obviously is) as directors shows how clearly it is directors who nominate here, and the category don't always need to go simply by The Top 5 of Best Picture sort of compass. And speaking of Gerwig and Peele as writer-directors, aside from Guillermo having Vanessa Taylor as a co-writer, I don't think this category is always so auteurist.

- No Hammer or Stuhlbarg (mainly for his one scene, but still.. *cries*) are glaring omissions in Supporting Actor. Harrelson and No-Longer-Spacey seem to be in their just because they can be.

- Logan for Adapted Screenplay! The rare (only?) time one of them comic book flicks gets recognition in an Academy space like this.

- For Franco, the Golden Globes related tweets and the LA Times article were January 7th and the 11th, respectively, and the Oscar nomination window was January 5th to 13th, so it was smack-dab in the middle of it, but it's also possible that generally less enthusiasm for him were the bigger factor in him being left out. And/or everyone saw Phantom Thread late and understandably liked Day-Lewis much more (as he's the one difference in this category between Oscar and SAG).

- The Animation branch of the Academy is officially anti-Lego, but does love themselves some Boss Babyyyyy, baby!

- Maybe trivial to think of it this way, but if imagine if Best Picture was based on total amount of nominations (since The Post got in only with Streep otherwise), the Top 11 would be:

(13) The Shape of Water
    (8) Dunkirk
    (7) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    (6) Darkest Hour
    (6) Phantom Thread
    (5) Blade Runner 2049
    (5) Lady Bird
    (4) Call Me by Your Name
    (4) Get Out
    (4) Mudbound
    (4) Star Wars: The Last Jedi

And yeah Serkis and Haddish were delightfully goofy together. I even liked the little filmed bits they did with the actresses for the technical categories. (26:47 if it doesn't go there automatically)

Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

All the Get Out noms are cool as hell to see.

Super bummed Jackman didn’t get a nom for Logan, but neat it got (and won’t win) Adapted Screenplay.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    - Logan for Adapted Screenplay! The rare (only?) time one of them comic book flicks gets recognition in an Academy space like this.
    It's far from the first nominee adapted from a comic book, but certainly it's the first superhero comic. That's pretty cool.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I thought, wow, Spielberg being shut out by these young directors,
    I take a schadenfreudish delight in the many, many ways the Academy Awards has trolled Spielberg over the years. (There's a very obvious dislike operating there, and I don't quite know why.) This year was a good effort on their part, but not as good as I've seen.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I don't know why I always remember the screenplay category fondly, because the WGA fucks me over every year. This year might be the worst of the last 5 or 10.
    The same thing happens to me. I used to say that that was where the best films were. Now I'm not so sure.

And yeah, I didn't dislike The Shape of Water but what a safe choice to win Best Picture.

A movie about a woman in love with The Creature From the Black Lagoon is a “safe choice”?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Darkest Hour zzzzzzzzzz

but these are pretty good noms, despite a couple questionable things here and there.

See, that sounds like something Alan Moore would write about on paper, but while I liked the actual sexual angle of their relationship, overall it's a mushy mushy creature film where the bad guys are very bad and the good guys are very good. Get Out or Three Billboards are far more troubling to the Academy's conservative worldview.

I feel like every year I'm surprised that there are still Oscar firsts I didn't realize hadn't happened yet.

Rachel Morrison is the first woman to even be nominated for Best Cinematography? Really?
    Movie Theater Diary

Well, how many have you heard about? When I learned that the DP for Neon Demon was a woman I was surprised. It was a male-centric area until fairly recently.

I'm glad Logan got at least Best Adapted Screenplay, but still, it could've (and should've) done much better. And Beauty and the Beast for Production Design? Did they even see that movie? It was ugly as shit, and looked like it was shot on the cheapest set that Disney could scramble together at the last second. :\

This is seriously one of the most boring awards seasons in some time, for me at least. I can see how Get Out or The Shape of Water can be looked at as cool picks, and I'd agree, if I had perhaps come out caring about either movie all that much. But really, my reaction coming out of most of these movies were that they were just "fine". Of all the Best Picture nominees, none of them even crack my Top 20 of the year. And so long as it's not Call Me By Your Name (the only legit bad movie nominated), I honestly don't even give a shit what wins, as I seriously have no dog in this race this year. *shrug*

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Well, how many have you heard about? When I learned that the DP for Neon Demon was a woman I was surprised. It was a male-centric area until fairly recently.
    Not a lot. Ellen Kurras and Reed Morano are the only ones on my radar currently. But there are tons of Oscar nominated DPs I'm not familiar with, so I just (wrongly) assumed that in 90 years there would've been at least one already.
    Movie Theater Diary

In real life, though, I know at least five women who are dedicated DPs. One slovenian, three Argentinians, one Brazilian.

Wow, TGM, you are the first person I've heard of who was indifferent to Get Out.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast