Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Film Awards Talk - 2018

Quote Quoting Kirby Avondale (view post)
    I can't remember it ever being addressed. Since she didn't update her accent, I assumed Alma was from the same place as Krieps: Luxembourg. It wasn't ever identified, I guess, because it didn't really matter. I'm not convinced that Persona is especially a thing here.
    Perhaps not but Rebecca certainly is a thing here, so I believe my larger point stands.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Hodge shan't be shot Kirby Avondale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Perhaps not but Rebecca certainly is a thing here, so I believe my larger point stands.
    I don't feel its pull so much. I get the allusions and all that, but they added more flavor than content for me. I don't see them filling in some hole where dialogue expositing character history is supposed to go or anything, and I'm not convinced we need much more of the latter. We get Alma through Alma, learning about her through her actions, how she pictures herself, what her expectations and delusions are, what she's willing to stomach, where she's willing to go. Anderson doesn't seem as fascinated with a person's history than with in-the-moment illuminations of character, suggestive idiosyncrasies and weird co-dependencies. It's easy to toss some line in where Alma says she fled her home country to escape an abusive father (Gotcha! says our inner Freuds), but not so easy to take a relationship that strains credibility at the level of description and make it feel organic and strangely tenable in action. Pretty good case of show besting tell in that respect.
    Last edited by Kirby Avondale; 03-08-2018 at 01:16 AM.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I can't remember it ever being addressed. Since she didn't update her accent, I assumed Alma was from the same place as Krieps: Luxembourg. It wasn't ever identified, I guess, because it didn't really matter. I'm not convinced that Persona is especially a thing here.
    The issue of Alma's backstory is addressed by PTA in this very interesting discussion with Alan Parker, somewhere towards the end.

‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    The issue of Alma's backstory is addressed by PTA in this very interesting discussion with Alan Parker, somewhere towards the end.
    Nice. Thanks for that.

I don't feel its pull so much. I get the allusions and all that, but they added more flavor than content for me. I don't see them filling in some hole where dialogue expositing character history is supposed to go or anything, and I'm not convinced we need much more of the latter. We get Alma through Alma, learning about her through her actions, how she pictures herself, what her expectations and delusions are, what she's willing to stomach, where she's willing to go. Anderson doesn't seem as fascinated with a person's history than with in-the-moment illuminations of character, suggestive idiosyncrasies and weird co-dependencies. It's easy to toss some line in where Alma says she fled her home country to escape an abusive father (Gotcha! says our inner Freuds), but not so easy to take a relationship that strains credibility at the level of description and make it feel organic and strangely tenable in action. Pretty good case of show besting tell in that respect.
    I'm not asking for reams of expository dialogue accounting for every moment of the characters' lives preceding the film's opening scene; rather, it seems to me that the film relies on cinephile references to justify the characters' in-the-moment behaviour in the absence of any internal motivation. Thus, the characters are never anything more than the sum of their various traits, which often seem arbitrarily glued on.
    Just because...

The (New) World

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I posted this in the film thread, but I suspected Alma as a name was meant to evoke Alma Hitchcock, Alfred's wife. I mean, Hitchcock/Woodcock. And all the Hitch connections.

Obviously that would never be a substitute for character clarity and development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not asking for reams of expository dialogue accounting for every moment of the characters' lives preceding the film's opening scene;
    I didn't figure. I doubted even the necessity of a line. In his interview with Parker, Anderson said he had some dialogue mentioning her wartime experience but ultimately felt it redundant when set against the performance. I share his sensibility on this point. I'm good with her reaction to talk of Jewish visas followed-up by a subsequent stripping of the drunken heiress. I think that gave me a better feel for her than a quick memory or (I dunno) a spin-off comic-book that flashes us back to her childhood.

rather, it seems to me that the film relies on cinephile references to justify the characters' in-the-moment behaviour in the absence of any internal motivation. Thus, the characters are never anything more than the sum of their various traits, which often seem arbitrarily glued on.
    I'm just not particularly eat up with the movie references and they played little in my experience of the characters. As for them being an arbitrary assemblage of traits, I didn't get that impression obviously. Not sure which ones you consider spatchcocked onto them.

I'm just not particularly eat up with the movie references and they played little in my experience of the characters. As for them being an arbitrary assemblage of traits, I didn't get that impression obviously. Not sure which ones you consider spatchcocked onto them.
    All the stuff with the ghost, for a start, which seems to have been grafted on to Woodcock's character simply to remind us of the story about Daniel Day-Lewis supposedly seeing the ghost of his own father during a performance of Hamlet.
    Just because...

The (New) World

All the stuff with the ghost, for a start, which seems to have been grafted on to Woodcock's character simply to remind us of the story about Daniel Day-Lewis supposedly seeing the ghost of his own father during a performance of Hamlet.
    You bring this us as though it's a universal piece of knowledge. Thanks for enlightening us, but the percentage of moviegoers who hit upon that connection is probably whatever percentage you personally represent.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Was that meant as a reference? Day-Lewis says that's a myth; he was just exhausted after a protracted run.

The ghost mom seemed in keeping with his momma's boy background (warning signal number one: guy talking passionately about this mother on the first date). It's also in keeping with the undertones of the movie, which is narrated almost like a ghost story (phantom thread, hur?) complete with bookends by the fireside. Add to that little flourishes like "don't turn her into a ghost" and the kind of cloistered Victorian settings, and you've got a real Turn of the Screw vibe going, or The Innocents if we're supposed to stick to the cinephile track. That was my takeaway.

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    You bring this us as though it's a universal piece of knowledge. Thanks for enlightening us, but the percentage of moviegoers who hit upon that connection is probably whatever percentage you personally represent.
    Whether or not it's common knowledge is beside the point (though it's widely enough known that Day-Lewis had to clarify in an interview that he hadn't "literally" seen the ghost of his father); the issue is whether or not there is any internal justification for its inclusion in the film.
    Last edited by baby doll; 03-08-2018 at 11:46 PM.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Was that meant as a reference? Day-Lewis says that's a myth; he was just exhausted after a protracted run.

The ghost mom seemed in keeping with his momma's boy background (warning signal number one: guy talking passionately about this mother on the first date). It's also in keeping with the undertones of the movie, which is narrated almost like a ghost story (phantom thread, hur?) complete with bookends by the fireside. Add to that little flourishes like "don't turn her into a ghost" and the kind of cloistered Victorian settings, and you've got a real Turn of the Screw vibe going, or The Innocents if we're supposed to stick to the cinephile track. That was my takeaway.
    Perhaps I'll have to watch it again, but all the stuff you just mentioned never really seemed to gel (at least for me) with the central relationship or the stuff about the world of haute couture. In other words, it seemed to me more like window dressing than an artistic necessity.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314