1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

1 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Love You, Daddy (Louis C.K.)

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    a friend of mine got his press screening for this. I bet a bunch of press screeners went out before the scandal so hopefully one of them puts it online.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    a friend of mine got his press screening for this. I bet a bunch of press screeners went out before the scandal so hopefully one of them puts it online.
    Not if they want to keep getting screeners, which usually have a watermark with the person's name on it.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

They have also sent the movie out to awards voters. Before all this, they really thought this had Oscar chances. A lot of Academy members said they received their copy in the mail the same day the news broke, heh.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    They have also sent the movie out to awards voters. Before all this, they really thought this had Oscar chances. A lot of Academy members said they received their copy in the mail the same day the news broke, heh.
    Would've been funny if the news broke between ballots were cast and before nominations released...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Would've been funny if the news broke between ballots were cast and before nominations released...
    Heheh I think that would have been unique. There's a pretty funny story about Argentinian film A Place in the World directed by Adolfo Aristarain. The director had a row with the film workers guild and, as a result, The Dark Side of the Heart (which had been less succesful) was sent instead for the Foreign Film category. Aristarain was pissed and decided to pretend that his film was Uruguayan with the complicity of the Uruguayan Film Society, even though it takes place in Argentina and the cast and crew as well as the funding are all Argentinian. A Place ended up being nominated and hastily pulled out of competition when a reporter found out and revealed the ruse.

Anyway, this video about I Love You, Daddy by some important (blowhard) film critic says that Charlie Day's character is also into forcibly masturbating himself in front of women. It looks like Louis C.K. is like the Riddler from Batman - he leaves clues.

I know this is not the point of these news, but the whole appeal of "forcibly masturbating in front of women" still puzzles me. I have fetishes. I do enjoy watching a woman masturbate and I knew one woman who enjoyed watching a man do it and once asked me to. A rapist is a person who gets sexual arousal out of causing pain, it's a power trip - I can rationally understand his behavior. But what... what's the fucking point in doing what Louis did? It puts you in a pathetic position and he must have seen this outcome coming from a long time ago. I mean, the Weinstein thing happened but most people who don't give a shit about film found out who Weinstein was when the media broke the story. The Louis story was juicier in every way.

Maybe the point is to shock the woman with something crude that you do in private, like having a shit or piss fetish. But there's an element of power, because Louis could have paid any number of women to watch him. The point was that they didn't want to watch it and felt miserable because they looked up to him. There's a hobo in my neighborhood who does this, but he's a hobo. He has nothing to protect in his life.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 11-17-2017 at 01:25 AM.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    My nonsense armchair hypothesis is that it's a sort of "consequence-free" rape. The harasser gets the pleasure of dominating and humiliating a woman coupled with a sexual release without any assault (even contact). That last part is key, because I think it does the double duty of both avoiding physical lines of evidence and deluding the perpetrator into thinking he didn't do anything traumatic.

At times I think I'm just as pervy as the next man (or woman), but I've never felt like spanking it in front of an unsuspecting woman that I've never been physical with before. Some of these accusations are getting a bit ridiculous, though (cf. Al Franken) and I suspect are going to water down the more egregious accusations (cf. Weinstein, Roy Moore).
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I don't know if it "matters" amongst everything else, but I will point out that Day's character only gestures jerking off while hanging out in Louis' character's office as a way of taunting his character while he's on the phone with Rose Byrne's character. Day's character knows her work better than Louis', and vocalizes how hot she thinks she is before Louis then makes a professional phone call to her, which slightly intimidates him, only made worse by Day then motioning masturbating to the escalation of the conversation from across the room, eventually deciding to climax at the idea of her agreeing to meet with him.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

This is, um, available for anyone who's interested in it.

It was fantastic. I strongly echo everything Henry Gale said. I would also add that maybe the saddest part of the fact that this wasn't released was that Chloë Grace-Moretz does beautiful work in this. Everyone does actually, but she in particularly stood out to me. She was in there with some legendary talent and more than held her own (and she did her best work in the her scenes with Louis).

In retrospect, the ending haunts me. It almost feels like he knew he was going down and this was his farewell. Or it could just be synchronicity. But that scene at the Emmy's, and the way it ends, floored me.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Available where?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    It leaked on torrent sites about a month or two ago.

Theory: Charlie Day's character doesn't actually exist and is basically the little Devil on Glenn's shoulder, the hip attractive talented funny young male celebrity Glenn wishes he was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12