28. You may not vote on this poll
  • yay!

24 85.71%
  • nay!

4 14.29%

Thread: mother! (Darren Aronofsky)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've found that there is very little overlap in what Aronofsky is interested in and what I'm interested in. Everything he has done has left me cold, even if I can appreciate the surface style. That said, mother! sounds more interesting than anything he has done to this point, so I will check it out (which is more than I managed with Noah)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I've found that there is very little overlap in what Aronofsky is interested in and what I'm interested in. Everything he has done has left me cold, even if I can appreciate the surface style. That said, mother! sounds more interesting than anything he has done to this point, so I will check it out (which is more than I managed with Noah)
    Ahh man, Noah is thudding and overbearing (and long in the back half when it goes The Shining) but also really fascinating in some ways, especially if you're into religion, but also if you're into relatively fresh cinematic symbolism (golden souls, enigmatic snakeskin, a fig with a heartbeat).

I loved the first two acts of Noah, hated the third.