24 85.71%
  • nay!

4 14.29%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mother! (Darren Aronofsky)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Wow, went into this thinking [
    ] Did not expect that. When it was over I didn't much like it because its basically Anxiety: The Movie, but the more I thought about it and picked out more of the analogies, the more I respect the work. Its still a little too harsh to be watched for entertainment often unless you like being depressed.
    Anxiety: The Movie is so apt!!!

I've never been so engrossed in a film before in my life. Brilliant.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Whomever did the sound mixing, give him an Oscar every year for the rest of his life. There were times where I really was playing along thinking this would be a normal story, with some abnormal behavior. And as most probably thought, the mob's first scenes was when this film completely goes off the rails. But that slow burn pacing of the first half, mixed with the frantic bizarre time jumps in the second was some of the best editing I've ever experienced. After the birthing scene, something snapped inside me and I realized what I had just seen, and even then I was still grossly invested until the bitter end.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Agreed, Duke. I should be clear, even though I have a hard time liking the movie, I easily give it at least a 9/10. [
    ]

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Agreed, Duke. I should be clear, even though I have a hard time liking the movie, I easily give it at least a 9/10. [
    ]
    A Serbian Film scene was worse.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    A Serbian Film scene was worse.
    I read about it when that film came out and NOPE, never, fuck that and those people.

Seriously, this was a supremely well crafted film and it has stayed in my mind.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Seriously, this was a supremely well crafted film and it has stayed in my mind.
    There's only 3 or 4 films in the 21st century that have really stayed with me, kept me thinking about it days, weeks after seeing it. Inception. Fury Road. Melancholia. And possibly this.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Yeah, I need to watch this again, if just for the craft.

So Irish nayed this and never said why?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    There's only 3 or 4 films in the 21st century that have really stayed with me, kept me thinking about it days, weeks after seeing it. Inception. Fury Road. Melancholia. And possibly this.
    If we're talking weeks, there's plenty of films that have stayed in mind for that duration. It's when we're talking years that movies start falling off for me. Though nowadays, I find fewer and fewer movies really stick with me even hours after watching them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll need to rewatch this, but have a feeling the last half hour will annoy me so much that I'll have the same feelings as before.

The first 75% is masterful though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I loved this! Easily my favorite Aronofsky since Requiem for a Dream. I can't even remember a thing about Black Swan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123