View Poll Results: Yay/Nay

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

6 85.71%
  • Nay

1 14.29%

Thread: The Girl with All the Gifts ( Colm McCarthy)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The Girl with All the Gifts ( Colm McCarthy)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This watches better, not knowing anything about the plot or sub-genre. There was an article in my Rue Morgue recommending it- but I stopped reading the review before I knew too much. So I won't say much about it here, other than it's a horror film. And it's, what I would call, a fresh take. There's a ton of Shakespeare references, so there's tragedy. But I really liked the low budget feel, but still feeling very Last of Us. And with Glenn Close holding down the fort, the acting is grounded and real.
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 09-04-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    This somehow came to Thailand towards the end of last year. Here's what I wrote then:

Its third act resolution really seems like something that works much better on pages rather than being cinematic on screen, even though it's still thematically rich and satisfying. That one big adaptation limit asides, this is a pretty good and unique addition to the zombie genre, thanks to its conception and engrossing arc of the titular girl. Newcomer Sennia Nanua adds both otherworldly touches (that treads the line of being realistically precocious just right) and full emotional nuances to the character deftly, in what hopefully will be a star-making turn. 7.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I enjoyed this a good bit. While it may share some of the themes of The Last of Us, it also manages to build its own unique world. There were several scenes that had me on the edge of my seat and biting my nails.

This was one of the best surprises I've had recently. A worthy variation on the zombie genre with some great atmosphere and memorable performances all around. I agree with Rico that the more suspenseful moments are extremely effective.