Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Top Thirty Flying Lotus Songs

Cinematographer Idioteque Stalker's Avatar

...And the World Laughs With You (Feat. Thom Yorke)
    Cosmogramma

Feels like: electro

This song wouldn't feel out of place--and would in fact be a highlight--on an actual Radiohead record. Unlike something like "Never Catch Me," however, it's not really an epic collaboration; in fact, after Cosmogramma's blistering first act it feels downright subdued. But doggone does Thom Yorke make all the difference. Who else could make the simple refrain "I need to know you're out there" sound so mournful? And as the disembodied voices swirl toward their chilling climax, we begin to understand: he needs something to be out there because in here it's hell.

[]

Robo Tussin (Feat. Lil Wayne)
    n/a

Feels like: hip-hop

Flying Lotus took "A Milli"--the instant hip-hop classic of startling minimalism--heard something no one else heard, and flipped it upside down. Some people prefer the instrumental without the vocals, but they're missing the point. The beat is smooth as butter, surely, but the real magic of "Robo Tussin" is how it turns Wayne's exuberant performance into a sing-song rap so magnetic the universe itself seems to harmonize.

[]

Massage Situation
    Reset - EP

Feels like: hip-hop

This one's a gimme. It's the "Stairway to Heaven" of Flying Lotus songs. It's what Adult Swim sounds like. The first half is Tom Cruise sneaking into a nightclub so exclusive even he wasn't invited. The second half is him realizing what's really going on.

[]

Wow. FlyLo, Radiohead, Kendrick Lamar, Eyes Wide Shut, video games... This thread should be renamed "shit about which I'm a hopeless fanboy." More geeking to come.

Parisian Goldfish
    Los Angeles

Who knows if Eric Wareheim's hilariously NSFW video has helped or hindered this song's legacy, but you can't say he wasn't in tune with the fuck-all bacchanalia. Riddled with cowbell and sporting a hyperactive bass line, "Parisian Goldfish" is as eager as your friend who wants the whole crew to do fireball shots at the worst possible time. If I put a Flying Lotus song on a mixtape--and for the last ten years I almost always do--there's a 50/50 chance it's this.

[]

Satelllliiiiiiiiteee
    Cosmogramma

Feels like: electro?

How do you begin to describe this song? It's like a chopped and screwed hip-hop remix but someone got the fast forward and slo-mo buttons confused. It's like Aphex Twin attempted tropicalia and featured a sobbing person plus Nicki Minaj holding her nose. It's like the first-ever track an Inuk throat singer would find dope enough to freestyle over. It's like having your mind scrambled by Psycho Mantis but it doesn't hurt and is actually kind of peaceful.

Whatever. It's not like anything.

[]

Computer Face // Pure Being
    Cosmogramma

I feel like this is the type of song that could prove the virtues of dumb, repetitive music to even the snobbiest of classical music purists. It's not complex, but it's still adventurous. It's not easy listening, but it beckons you along. There aren't really any dynamics, but it definitely goes places. "Computer Face // Pure Being" is not one of FlyLo's most nuanced tracks, but I will always proudly offer it as one of his most virtuosic.

[]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12