Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bouyant

18 72.00%
  • Beached

7 28.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan)

The only Nolan movie I hold dear to my heart is The Prestige. Among other things, I think it's because the themes are integrated into the narrative. In all the others, actors sit down and explain it to the dumb, useless audience.

Sure, Michael Caine opens the movie explaining how a magic trick works, but that's text. The subtext of the movie is about narrative and telling stories.

Why was this written? It felt revisionist. The whole tone of the film is of a clusterfuck event but that's the entire opposite of what happened historically since Dunkirk was a major Allied strategic victory. Sure, all the events leading up to Dunkirk were messed up, he could have written a story about that if that's the tone he wanted. Anyone who has little knowledge of history will come away thinking that Dunkirk was a major screw-up when that's the exact opposite of what actually happened.

I don't think I agree at all. It was a major screw-up - the Allies put themselves into a terrible situation, and the Germans missed a huge opportunity to land a killing blow to the Allied effort, which will bite them in the ass later, come D-Day. The triumph of the evacuation wasn't clear until later, especially to those involved, which the movie goes out of the way to show in the end. The evacuated troops felt like failures.

Mrs. Miniver came out in 1942 and covers some of these events as well and in that it's a glorious moment - and it doesn't feel like dishonest war propaganda. I trust the movie that came out just shortly thereafter.

...okay.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I trust the movie that came out just shortly thereafter.
    Why would you ever do that with an international war, though?

*writes down Mrs. Miniver in the unending list of movies to see*
    Last edited by Grouchy; 03-30-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Mrs. Miniver was 100% war propaganda, whether it seemed to be or not. Movies that came out during the war the least trustworthy historical references.

Wikipedia seems to strongly support this.

Roosevelt ordered it rushed to the theaters for propaganda purposes.
    In fact it appears that, like Foreign Correspondent, it's a movie mainly made with the goal of urging the US to enter WWII.

Producer
    Rewatched this because it's leaving Netflix soon. Same score rating as on first watch, but I think I love it slightly more this time, where the intensity doesn't let up even when watched at home. Still stand by my first thought that I prefer Nolan in sprawling mode (even if Tenet kinda proves the exception now), which is why this is still my least favorite of his from last decade. Even then, one can make the case that it might be Nolan's most immaculately made and thought-out of last decade's works as well, nary a piece out of place, and easily his most gorgeous-looking film. Also love the note of faint ambiguity in the ending sequences; Tom Hardy being heroically taken away amidst the plane on fire seems aligned with the rousing nature of Churchill's speech, but then we cut to Fionn Whitehead, who just finished reading it, staring down at the newspaper with the blank expression of someone who can't really reconcile the words with the hell they've just been through. 8.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123