View Poll Results: Yay or Nay?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

18 94.74%
  • Nay

1 5.26%

Thread: The Big Sick (Michael Showalter)

The Big Sick (Michael Showalter)

The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Not much here formally or cinematically (and some of the music cues are typical of the more maudlin examples of the rom-com form), but it's well crafted and a solid extension of Nanjiani and Gordon's story. The chemistry between Nanjiani and Kazan absolutely works, Hunter and Romano are strong, and the variety of Middle Eastern representation adds an additional dimension.

The generational study is interesting and while there are a few moments that strain credulity (the hangouts with his brother feels like a mediocre sitcom, as does Kumail's one-man show), the story just plain works. Just a sweet ending, too; the script knows where to end.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I went in without knowing much about the story and was surprised on the breadth of this journey. It's a small film that plays like a big film, easily something that could get a Best Picture nomination if the studio made a significant push. It's a film that would be filed under 'romantic comedy', but unlike most films in that category, it has a grasp on what constitutes genuine, realistic love between two human beings. Their relationship is complex and difficult, and ultimately, that much more rewarding cinematically.

But more importantly, the film is just flat-out funny. The ensemble works together masterfully. There's not a weak link. (OK, maybe Kurt Braunohler a little bit, but he's supposed to be.) I never thought Ray Romano would make me laugh so much and it's a joy to see Holly Hunter in a role lets allows her to let loose. Equally on point and hilarious are Zenobia Shroff and Anupam Kher as Kumail's parents. The family dinner scenes are an absolute delight.

One of the year's best, as I see it.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Yeah, this was not the romantic comedy the tv spots advertised; rather, it feels more like a drama with comedic elements. I've never seen anything capture the initial awkwardness of first dates so well, or contain emotional moments that hit hard with their authenticity and naturalism. It's also a great social commentary on cultural pressures with a phenomenal lead performance from Kumail Nanjiani, and well-written characters that feel real and genuinely affecting. One of the best films of the year so far for sure.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I was a bit worried going in thinking this would be another movie where a main character gets sick and it goes downhill from there, but it turned out to be not so gloom and doom. I ended up really enjoying it. Plus it reaffirms that[
    ]

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I went in without knowing much about the story and was surprised on the breadth of this journey. It's a small film that plays like a big film, easily something that could get a Best Picture nomination if the studio made a significant push. It's a film that would be filed under 'romantic comedy', but unlike most films in that category, it has a grasp on what constitutes genuine, realistic love between two human beings. Their relationship is complex and difficult, and ultimately, that much more rewarding cinematically.

But more importantly, the film is just flat-out funny. The ensemble works together masterfully. There's not a weak link. (OK, maybe Kurt Braunohler a little bit, but he's supposed to be.) I never thought Ray Romano would make me laugh so much and it's a joy to see Holly Hunter in a role lets allows her to let loose. Equally on point and hilarious are Zenobia Shroff and Anupam Kher as Kumail's parents. The family dinner scenes are an absolute delight.

One of the year's best, as I see it.
    Pretty much my thoughts replicated.

I'm a few months late to this, but glad I saw it without seeing any previews or reading anything about it. I heard good buzz, and it feels like it's been in the indie theaters for the entire summer, a good sign. Heck, even the showing I was at, had 15-20 people in it on a Tuesday night.

I think the thing that works for me the most is seeing a natural/realistic chemistry between boyfriend and girlfriends' parents. I can't really think of another movie where they actually get along (despite some natural conflicts). There's obviously a lot pulled from real life which makes it all the better because it definitely feels real on screen too, and not something forced. If anything, some of the 'stand up comedy' scenes are the only forced bits.

Good stuff.

Spinal thought highly of Wind River too... It was either Big Sick or that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This feels like a recently discovered film from a vault full of forgotten '90s indie flicks.

I mean that in a good way.

re-watched it today because... well... it's so good.

Mild Yay. Nanjiani and Hunter are the best here but Showalter's direction is almost non-existent at times, especially compared to Hello, My Name is Doris (which had a better balance of characterization and storytelling).

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Mild yay. I know it's beyond the function of the story to show us anything resembling Emily's story as it happened to her, 'cause, y'know, coma, but at times that made me feel a little too disinterested in what Kumail was going through. Particularly at the moment when he tries to win her back by showing her trophies of How Good He's Been, when I feel like a better indicator of his care for her would've been to listen to her and be there for her instead of making a demonstration. That's all probably an unavoidable consequence of the specifics of this story, though, and what does work here works well - everything with both sets of parents, especially. I loved Hunter and Romano interrupting the comedy show, seeing her immediately knock down the heckler followed by Romano internally punching through his insecurities before finally cursing out the dudebro. I just wonder if there would've been a way to balance the love story a little bit more so that it was a little less about him finding her and a little more about them finding each other. But again, that story simply couldn't be told the way it happened. That's probably on me for wanting a little more character balance in regard to real life events.

I was rolling my eyes so hard through the whole New York development, which felt like such a sudden and arbitrary decision. Like it was pulled from the file folder in the cabinet marked Hack Tropes. So him actually, painlessly going to New York was a very nice surprise.

There was one moment where Kumail was listening to Emily's voicemails just to hear her, and the indie guitar finger picking made it hard to hear. Probably the most overt moment where the film's dedicated subgenre requirements overwhelms its specificity.

Good stuff. Excellent performance piece for the cast. Hope some nominations roll in their way, but their work in the film is reward enough.