Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino)

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)

I dunno, man. He was never that prolific to begin with, he's getting old and he's about to get married, and his main connect is now the most hated man in the industry. I can see him just going around being a film festival judge or appearing in documentaries for the next decade.
    Ha. I don't know if I see that happening yet. As mentioned, I think he could probably get on board with Megan Ellison and start off, especially if some preproduction has actually occurred already (who knows?). But if not, I can definitely see him like a Leon Vitali (Kubrick's Assistant) that just travels from film fest to film fest to share stories and open up a "Tarantino Archives Museum" of costumes from Django Unchained and original script notes on Four Rooms.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    You know what they say about assumptions Arya?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    You know what they say about assumptions Arya?
    It makes an ass out of u and mptions. I know, I know.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I loled...........

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

http://deadline.com/2017/10/quentin-...ns-1202187498/

That's not a real account. What the hell, Deadline?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    All that retirement plan tells me is that Tarantino loves his image more than he loves making movies.
    Truth bomb.

I'm going to hang on the positive side and say that in pursuit of is "perfect" ten picture director arc, he pushes through with another studio, and in the process finds it MORE appealing than he has in the past, is re-motivated in the medium, shelves retirement, and becomes the next Ridley Scott (production-output-wise).

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Truth bomb.

I'm going to hang on the positive side and say that in pursuit of is "perfect" ten picture director arc, he pushes through with another studio, and in the process finds it MORE appealing than he has in the past, is re-motivated in the medium, shelves retirement, and becomes the next Ridley Scott (production-output-wise).
    Definitely don't see this though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Definitely don't see this though.
    Me either. sigh

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    That's not a real account. What the hell, Deadline?
    They updated it. Heh.

Meanwhile, Ridley Scott made The Martian in his 70s
    Eh...

I hadn't thought about it that way, 8, how he's never had to sell his ideas to a tough crowd from Reservoir Dogs onwards. I'm also quite out of the loop on his romantic life - I thought he was still dating Uma Thurman.

All that retirement plan tells me is that Tarantino loves his image more than he loves making movies.
    I also think to some extent it's a young man's romantic prejudices about the tempestuous vitality of youth and the futility and feebleness of old age. That he's managed to carry with him deep into middle age.

- - - - -
    He's only like 53 or 54.

Originally, I sorta agreed with him. Who wants to turn into Ridley Scott or Steven Spielberg and turn out crap for the last 10 or 15 years of their career? A lot of these guys just keep working to keep working and their late period stuff feels uninspired or desperate.

But I also think placing an arbitrary limit on the number of films you're going to do, and saying you're gonna sit around and write novels in your retirement, is delusional.

You guys are so optimistic to think that the theatrical distribution of feature films is still going to be a thing in ten years. If Tarantino retires after ten films (assuming he even gets there), it's going to be because the CEO of Netflix bought every multiplex in America just for the pleasure of watching them burn to the ground.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Quentin Tarantino Makes Studios Kiss the Ring in Manson Bidding War

"After parting ways with longtime backer Harvey Weinstein, Quentin Tarantino is making studio executives go through a complicated process to bid for his new film about Charles Manson — including trekking to his agents’ offices just to read the script"

https://www.thewrap.com/quentin-tara...ing-exclusive/

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    This makes me anxious. I'm worried after what he said regarding Weinstein that none of the studios will want to work with him.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Nah. He's got the prestige to be courted.

It's Tarantino. He's maybe one of ten active directors that would be fine.

Odds:
    Annapurna -250
    All other studios +150
    Weinstein Company +2000

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    I dunno about Anapurna. Their pictures top out at $30-40 million budgets. (Except, oddly, for "Joy.")

Tarantino has worked in that range, but not for awhile. ("Django" cost $100 mil; "Basterds" $70 mil; "Hateful 8" was cheaper, but still more than Ellison usually spends on a single movie.)

ETA: It would be trivially easy for any of the big 6 to outbid Anapurna anyway. I think if Tarantino ends up anywhere, he should probably end up at Warners. That seems the most natural fit, historically.
    Last edited by Irish; 10-28-2017 at 07:58 AM.

I suppose it's a rare request since studios generally have all the leverage and people go to them, but having to go from your office in LA to another office in LA to read a script doesn't sound like that big of a deal.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 10-28-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

- - - - -
    LA traffic is not for the feint of heart, dude. Last time I was there, it took 90 minutes to go ~20 miles and it wasn't even rush hour. The sunlight is so bright that it's oppressive even when the AC is blasting. I love LA and would probably live there but I can't imagine dealing with that shit month after month.

Tarantino's demand seems trivial but it definitely strikes me as a ballsy kinda power move.

He goes back to roots. A24.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    LA traffic is not for the feint of heart, dude. Last time I was there, it took 90 minutes to go ~20 miles and it wasn't even rush hour. The sunlight is so bright that it's oppressive even when the AC is blasting. I love LA and would probably live there but I can't imagine dealing with that shit month after month.

Tarantino's demand seems trivial but it definitely strikes me as a ballsy kinda power move.
    Instead of sending someone to a Weinstein office, you just send someone to Tarantino's office. And there's not even any sexual assault to be had.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    The aspirants for Tarantino’s next film are limited to the major studios, because Tarantino and his WME reps wanted to make one deal with a studio that has the ability to release the picture globally. [...]

All of the majors are in except for Disney, which doesn’t make the R-rated milieu that Tarantino has always worked in.
    https://deadline.com/2017/11/quentin...in-1202199806/

Ah.

Rewatched some of Hateful Eight. The movie works so well at times, and others, the dialog is so annoying:

"The Lincoln Letter"
    "ABRAHAM LINCOLN"
    "Abraham Lincoln"
    "ABRAHAM LINCOLN. The President of the United States"
    "Yes"
    "Wrote you a letter."
    "Yes"
    "ABRAHAM..."

Oi.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **