Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino)

Throughout his career, we have praised Tarantino for the rough, grindhouse-inspired aesthetic of his films. This is an aspect of his artistry that has been almost universally praised on this site. At the end of the day, he has successfully made decisions about what is going to feel authentic in his films and what isn't. He's made decisions to push his actors just a little bit farther with the mindset that the difference will read on camera. It seems disingenuous now to start scolding him for not using the 'Ben Nye Bruise Wheel'.

Would an actor react the same way to an 'herbal alternative'? Or would the less sanitized alternative create just a little extra bit of disgust that might read on camera? Up until now, we haven't questioned his talent for making these decisions.

He supervised a production in which an accident happened. He made a mistake. He should be accountable for that. But there's an awful lot of Monday-morning quarterbacking going on here that is a little hard for me to take seriously.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

See, this is the problem with the internet. It's an unvaluable tool for learning and sharing information with others. Most people simply use it to give filmmaking tips to a man who changed the face of cinema forever.

Next up: Kurosawa didn't need to build whole sets for Ran, just the parts where the camera was pointing at. And John Ford could have green screened Monument Valley.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 02-07-2018 at 11:31 PM.

- - - - -
    I suspect the objection is less about the technical process and more about the pattern of behavior.

It's also a stretch for Tarantino to make claims about authenticity, because he's intentionally subverted it plenty of times.

Well, yeah, they're looking to further the accusations of mysoginy, but in doing so they sound terribly condescending.

I just took it as a bunch of professional make up, special fx, and stunt people calling bullshit on a director's notion that their crafts are unable to make something look real. Which they have every right to do given their profession.

This is kinda why I love the internet.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Come on, man. Was it really news for you that you can apply make-up on a person to make it look as if they're choking to death? Or that you can get spit to look brown without the need of tobacco?

QT wasn't exactly working for the SyFy channel here.

Producer
    Changing the face of cinema makes you above criticism (especially from people in that field)? Between that and "Jeunet goes direct a good movie" I think there's a danger of having perceived worthiness elevate people above exemption.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Well, it's my perceived worthiness. It's not like I concede to awards or stuff like that. I personally think Del Toro is a far more interesting filmmaker than Jeunet. It would be another debate if they had the same opportunities to do stuff the way they like it, but come on, it's not like Jeunet is a struggling indie filmmaker.

As for Tarantino... Uma Thurman talked about the car crash and it's obvious that was a traumatic incident that could have been avoided. The journalist added the stuff about the spitting and the choking, which is something Dario Argento did for decades without anyone getting up in arms about it. I just feel that this whole "the internet gives everyone a voice" is going the wrong way which is the way of the witch hunt.

Producer
    Well going by film worthiness I would also go by Tarantino > del Toro > Jeunet as well (to be fair to Jeunet, that's because I watched only Amelie and Alien 3 and both are a lifetime ago). But negligence is negligence and plagiarism is plagiarism, (even though the latter case really seems like a stretch, but that's based on comparing scenes and not like because Jeunet is bad director or whatever).

Your two last sentence gives me a whole lot of feelings that are too much for typing on phone, so I'll leave this post at the moment.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I just took it as a bunch of professional make up, special fx, and stunt people calling bullshit on a director's notion that their crafts are unable to make something look real. Which they have every right to do given their profession.

This is kinda why I love the internet.
    This reminds me of the time you criticized Chris Rock at the Oscars for making a joke about voice work being easy. Are we all just fragile snowflakes here?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hey Duke, from one poster on Match Cut to another, please consider not making broad sweeping statements about board culture like that sprinkled with invectives like "snowflakes." We can argue out the present issue with the present set of terms if we want to talk about it.

Yeah, it's just me who's the fragile snowflake, don't drag others into my personal bitching. You're a moderator.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

That's a joke right? The complaining about "Are we all"? Hard to tell with no emojis.

I'm not really a moderator either since I have no ban privileges. I just try and keep the forums neat and tidy.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Anyway, I still think Chris Rock was a bitch for saying that.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    I don't understand the objection. Are we to avoid criticizing these guys because they're such creative golden gods? Fuck that.

Half my identity is wrapped up in second guessing guys like Tarantino.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I don't understand the objection. Are we to avoid criticizing these guys because they're such creative golden gods? Fuck that.
    No, not at all. It's the criticism itself that's dumb and presumptuous.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    My opinion may be skewed because I have some experience in the biz, but I tend to have less regard for that kind of directorial technique, in the same way I get immediately annoyed when I learn that a director did a hundred takes in pursuit of a perfect shot.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    My opinion may be skewed because I have some experience in the biz, but I tend to have less regard for that kind of directorial technique, in the same way I get immediately annoyed when I learn that a director did a hundred takes in pursuit of a perfect shot.
    It's a kind of social performance, letting everyone know you're an Obsessive, Perfectionist Director Who Has the Power to Spend an Exorbitant Amount of Time on One Shot, Getting it Exactly Right, and Doing it for Real Because, Ya Know, Realism (and then still having to reshoot it again later because it's not working in the edit). It has more to do with creating an authorial legend than actually making good films (though Stroheim, who invented this schtick, was a genuinely great director).
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Quentin!
    I want to publicly apologize to Samantha Geimer for my cavalier remarks on “The Howard Stern Show” speculating about her and the crime that was committed against her. Fifteen years later, I realize how wrong I was. Ms. Geimer WAS raped by Roman Polanski. When Howard brought up Polanski, I incorrectly played devil’s advocate in the debate for the sake of being provocative. I didn’t take Ms. Geimer’s feelings into consideration and for that I am truly sorry.

So, Ms. Geimer, I was ignorant, and insensitive, and above all, incorrect.

I am sorry Samantha.

Quentin Tarantino
    http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/que...er-1201926322/

Hmmmmm...

"please let me still make my movie!"

Hmmm is right. What's there to say, really? That's about as direct and responsible an apology you could do. Short, to the point, with no excuses. But... You know, for all the good that it matters, since it probably not gonna change anything at this point.

I'm curious, actually, if Whoopi Goldberg ever retracted her infamous "rape rape" statement. I don't remember if she did.
    Movie Theater Diary

Holy shit I forgot about that comment by Whoopi. Howard and Robin make fun of that quote all the time.

I hope this doesn't impact his ability to get his movies made. I'm actually fine with Allen not making anymore movies because they haven't been good for a while.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I hope this doesn't impact his ability to get his movies made. I'm actually fine with Allen not making anymore movies because they haven't been good for a while.
    I'll go to my grave believing that Whatever Works is an eminently decent comedy.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Hey Duke, from one poster on Match Cut to another, please consider not making broad sweeping statements about board culture like that sprinkled with invectives like "snowflakes." We can argue out the present issue with the present set of terms if we want to talk about it.
    This is satire, right?...right?
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6