Thread: Stranger Things (Season 2)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thought it was a very good season. Not as scary as some of the first season's moments of true terror, but good fun. Damn that poor kid. This show has really done a lot of shit to him. Also thought the relationship between Hopper and Eleven got almost a little too dark and intense...but I guess it was sorta needed for that bizarre little Runaways interlude. It's not that that episode was bad, per se--it was fine, I suppose, for what it was trying to accomplish--but it had the misfortune of being sandwiched between two really stellar episodes. Some nice representations of trauma. Thought for sure they were going to do a "don't use hate, use love" kinda thing, but maybe next season. I was sort of giddy to see Paul Reiser as a non-slimeball, tho it occurred to me during one particular episode that they probably secured him for the Aliens frisson. Lots of little lite-metatextual things like that, most of which worked for me. Thought Dacre Montgomery made for the perfect '80s scumbag and a nice foil to Steve. Felt a little odd that Eleven was separated from the group for so much of the season, especially when that's one of the things that made the first season so strong--not sure what she learned was so important that it was worth it. The season got a lot of mileage out of Sean Astin's pure goodness.

The extended scene in the shed is probably the best thing this show has done to date--virus/host body take-over cliches notwithstanding.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Thought for sure they were going to do a "don't use hate, use love" kinda thing, but maybe next season.
    Ugh, so glad this didn't happen.