Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things (Season 2)

Producer
    Most of this season's flaws, and also the root that makes it inferior to the first for me, come from the fact that the Duffer Brothers now know they can plan in advance for sure, so many things are left annoyingly dangling or move too slow to leave place for development in future seasons, instead of making the season stand more on their own.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I'll just be over here absolutely loving the scene between Billy and Mrs. Wheeler, thanks much.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

This is quite comprehensive, even tho not all are pure '80s.

Side note: does anyone know how to disable those ridiculous godawful popups at the end of the video that block half the damn screen while there's still stuff going on? I have like adblock and ghostery and such on already.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I'll just be over here absolutely loving the scene between Billy and Mrs. Wheeler, thanks much.
    Why? Just.... why? It is a cliched, horribly acted scene that serves zero purpose for anything. It's terrible.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I thought that scene was funny too. It didn't go anywhere, but I snickered.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I also snickered.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I don't know you people anymore.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

For half the season I was expecting Max and her brother to have superpowers or a connection to the Upside Down somehow or something. I thought it was a dull choice to have them move into town and spend half the season strong alluding to "dark" past moments, only to have it just be a broken home with an Alpha dad. I was like, "that's it?"

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    For half the season I was expecting Max and her brother to have superpowers or a connection to the Upside Down somehow or something. I thought it was a dull choice to have them move into town and spend half the season strong alluding to "dark" past moments, only to have it just be a broken home with an Alpha dad. I was like, "that's it?"
    I thought they were both hired by the Government to spy on the kids.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I thought Bob was going to end up being a government spy.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I thought Bob was going to end up being a government spy.
    Dude, I totally thought the same when they were in the hospital-ish scene!

Ditto duke, that thought crossed my mind too.

Finished this yesterday. Didn't enjoy it as much as the first season, and can't quite put my finger on why. Seems like everything about the season was just "off", plus a little slower to get to plot points. I think the worst part was that episode 6 finally brought some tension/action and left on a cliffhanger, then episode 7 happened. It felt very Walking Dead-esque, and I quit watching that show because of the number of filler episodes to fill out the season. Sad to see a Netflix show do this, because there was no need to stretch to 9 episodes.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

I prefer Season 2. Bob, Max and others were welcome additions. Steve is the show's MVP. I still do not care for Mike or Will.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I still do not care for Mike or Will.
    Wow, now that you mention it, neither do I.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I'm about to blow your mind, whoever may be reading this:

BARB = BOB

both innocent, slightly overweight characters who meet unnecessarily brutal ends.

what is the meaning of this? why does literally every character look exactly the same? even Steve noticed this when he was woozy and mistook Will for Nancy

something weird about this if you ask me
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

That was fuckin' funny, especially since the dude on the cover of the romance novel she was reading in the bath looked like Billy. I also liked the tre 80s homoeroticism between Billy and Steve. People forget how gay that decade was even though no one would acknowledge it in small town Indiana.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Yes that scene was hilarious, as was Mr. Wheeler saying that their kids no longer live here when asked by one of the gang where Mike was.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I find it hard to believe people can't sympathize or empathize with Will or Mike at all. Even with otherworldly goings-on, these kids are put through the physical and emotional wringer by events they didn't ask for or invite. And they are often isolated from loved ones right when they need the support of family and friends the most. Early in Season 2, when Dr. Reiser is describing how Will may be experiencing some renewed trauma due to it being an anniversary of the events--noting the ways Will may act out--he is unknowingly actually describing Mike, who is acting out in just those ways due to grief and anger he can't process and barely understands. Thought it was a good, fair way of portraying how children sometimes respond to the shit that life throws at them.

EDIT: Also, I thought the young actors killed both roles, especially Schnapp in the second season, who had to do shit I've seen grown, experienced actors fuck up.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Completely wasted build up, like a lot of the season.

It was a slight remix of season 1. Didn't progress the mythos much at all. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as the first.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    And why is there a scene of Max's brother flirting creepily with Nancy's mother and why the hell does it go on for so long?
    Funniest scene of the season, that was awesome.

Maybe I expected less and got more from this season but this was a ton of fun for me. It's no masterpiece of a show but it keeps things interesting and man, what a large, vibrant cast they have now. Steve has grown a lot on me and, I agree, Will and Mike are boring. Not sure about the Runaways episode - that felt like something from another show.

Lots of metatextuality. I like how it's called Stranger Things 2 and it has some of the concepts of a movie sequel more than a TV season of an expanding storyline. Liked the roleplaying anology and how Paul Reiser's role seems like a twist on his character in Aliens.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 01-22-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Thought for sure they were going to do a "don't use hate, use love" kinda thing, but maybe next season.
    Ugh, so glad this didn't happen.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Lots of metatextuality. I like how it's called Stranger Things 2 and it has some of the concepts of a movie sequel more than a TV season of an expanding storyline. Liked the roleplaying anology and how Paul Reiser's role seems like a twist on his character in Aliens.
    What they did with Reiser was cool. It did only work if you saw Aliens, I agree. [
    ]

I enjoyed and liked the stand alone episode, but if Season 3 does nothing with it then that episode is rendered pointless.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Yeah, I don't know... the episode was fun, but it went deeply into cliché zone which made me realize that, even while everything in the show is derivative of some other pulp fiction, they usually put enough of a spin in it.

Well that and the fact that it came way too late in the season. It should have been earlier in Season 2.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I didn't like seeing innocent Bob die, just like I didn't like seeing innocent Barb die.

Bob <> Barb

Hmm.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast