View Poll Results: 47 Meters Down

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

2 50.00%
  • Nay

2 50.00%

Thread: 47 Meters Down (Johannes Roberts)

47 Meters Down (Johannes Roberts)

47 METERS DOWN

Director: Johannes Roberts

imdb

So before I talk about the movie, I wanna discuss the trailers attached to this thing. First, we got a new Halle Berry movie called Kidnap, which looks shot for shot like the exact same movie that she did a few years back called The Call, with the exact same premise and everything. Huh. This was then followed by a trailer for a movie called Happy Death Day, which is essentially a horror ripoff of Groundhogs Day (after earlier in the year we had already gotten a YA ripoff of said movie). I mean, this one honestly does look pretty interesting, but still, kinda odd, that. Follow this up by the trailer for War for the Planet of the Apes, which I know, nothing new, but it falls neatly in line with the odd trend of these trailers, as next was a trailer for a movie called Friend Request, which is essentially the exact same premise as Unfriended, only if it were filmed in a more traditional manner. So by the time the actual movie itself started (which mind you, it's a shark movie, so already isn't exactly the most original of ideas out there), I was sorta just sitting there like, huh, are there really no original horror movie ideas left out there? o.O

Anyways, that was just a little odd, lol, but as to the movie itself, I actually thought this was really good. Very intense stuff, with awesome visuals and effective disorienting effects throughout. Also thought it was nice to see Mandy Moore in something again, don't think I've seen her in anything since Tangled. But yeah, I enjoyed this quite a bit, and thought it was honestly one of the more effective horror films I've seen in a while. Lately, I've noticed quite often that a lot of modern horror films I find to be more creepy, if not actually scary. But this one actually got me pretty good, and I found myself quite tensed up and concerned for the fates of our characters, which is a nice refresher for me as of late. So yeah, good stuff here!

I'm still thinking about this, which has been resonating incredibly well with me. Quickly becoming one of my favorites of the year so far, and it's such a breath of fresh air not only for shark movies, but for modern horror in general. I honestly can't recommend it enough, if it's still playing near of of y'all.

Yeah. I'll add to that. Hidden little gem that might get too much comparison to The Shallows (funny, given TGM's story).

However, all the terror is totally different. You can see most of the bits coming far away, but it's never not interesting.

[
    ]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I might try to catch this in the dollar theater.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I might try to catch this in the dollar theater.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Meh. I think the Shallows is a better movie even with the incredibly cheesy ending. Albeit I will agree that having TWO people threatened by sharks for 90 minutes is much more entertaining then one, I felt more terror and drama with The Shallows. I also can't get past the premise that both of those girls ear drums wouldn't burst, among other health issues, being driven so quickly down to the bottom of the ocean. I'm much more prone to believing a territorial shark in a cove than ones that are roaming the distance between the cage and the boat.

Also, deliberately calling out a 28 foot shark in 47 Meters Down is directly insulting the threat of Bruce for only being 25 feet was eye rolling.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?