View Poll Results: SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

21 80.77%
  • Nay

5 19.23%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Jon Watts)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    It was the only part with any semblance of charm. The older movies may at times be problematic, but they all have a certain charm that goes completely missing in this conveyor belt bullshit. This movie, like Ant-Man, was aggressively mediocre.
    I'll buy Ant-Man being mediocre because they had to pull in a director last minute when they fired Wright.

This film, was like, the exact opposite of mediocre and had charm coming out of it's ears. It's so weird to me that your nailing this movie for not having charm when you YAYed Power Rangers, the most bland, charmless, barely-a-screenplay movie of 2017.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'll buy Ant-Man being mediocre because they had to pull in a director last minute when they fired Wright.

This film, was like, the exact opposite of mediocre and had charm coming out of it's ears. It's so weird to me that your nailing this movie for not having charm when you YAYed Power Rangers, the most bland, charmless, barely-a-screenplay movie of 2017.
    I'll take Power Rangers any day of the week over this movie. There's SO much more fun, charm, and better writing and genuine character moments in PR than there is in any single second of this film.

I'll take Power Rangers any day of the week over this movie. There's SO much more fun, charm, and better writing and genuine character moments in PR than there is in any single second of this film.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Fair. The weird thing about the suit though, it basically replaces Spidey Sense, which it didn't feel like Peter had. Not sure if it's a power he hasn't learned how to use yet but there was't one moment where it appeared he was anticipating getting hit. And he got hit a lot.
    I read an article somewhere where the director said he purposefully didn't include Spidey Sense because he didn't like it. So at this point, he doesn't have Spidey Sense.

Guardians of the Galaxy
    Iron Man 3
    The Avengers
    Captain America: Civil War
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    Thor: The Dark World
    Iron Man
    Thor
    The Incredible Hulk
    Avenger: Age of Ultron
    Doctor Strange
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Ant-Man
    Iron Man 2

Okay so, if he doesn't have Spidey Sense...and his web shooters are mechanical...what exactly makes him spider-like in this movie?

He's fit? Like...a...spider?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Producer
    There's something I can't quite pinpoint about this year's Marvel films, and with what I've seen so far of Thor: Raknarok that might possibly continue the trend as well. I came out of both this and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 slightly disappointed at first because I thought I would like it more, and then as time passed the films registered a little better in my mind as I reflected on them, to the point of loving most of it even as I concede them to be interesting but messy fun.

Maybe it's the stress on moments of infectious joy and true-to-character-and-comic spirit at the expense of the bigger picture? Not big picture as in interconnecting the MCU but as in the whole being more than the sum of its parts. In this case, I never feel Homecoming's many intensely likeable parts cohereing to a whole so I lose interest in the plot from time to time, but then moments like Tom Holland's overeager teenage expressions or the camera being in synch with his vertigo during the excellent Washington Monument scene would pull me back in. A great cast's high energy and the whole film's tone being frenzied right along with this version of Spider-man's worldview also help the overbusy, lurching pacing go down smoother. But I dunno. A rewatch of both Vol. 2 and this would do wonder to clarify how I feel about this year's strange MCU entries. 7/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    Captain America: Civil War (2016)
    The Avengers (2012)
    Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    Thor (2011)
    Iron Man 3 (2013)
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
    Iron Man (2008)
    Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
    Doctor Strange (2016)
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
    Iron Man 2 (2010)
    Ant-Man (2015)
    The Incredible Hulk (2008)
    Thor: The Dark World (2013)
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    There's something I can't quite pinpoint about this year's Marvel films, and with what I've seen so far of Thor: Raknarok that might possibly continue the trend as well. I came out of both this and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 slightly disappointed at first because I thought I would like it more, and then as time passed the films registered a little better in my mind as I reflected on them, to the point of loving most of it even as I concede them to be interesting but messy fun.

Maybe it's the stress on moments of infectious joy and true-to-character-and-comic spirit at the expense of the bigger picture? Not big picture as in interconnecting the MCU but as in the whole being more than the sum of its parts. In this case, I never feel Homecoming's many intensely likeable parts cohereing to a whole so I lose interest in the plot from time to time, but then moments like Tom Holland's overeager teenage expressions or the camera being in synch with his vertigo during the excellent Washington Monument scene would pull me back in. A great cast's high energy and the whole film's tone being frenzied right along with this version of Spider-man's worldview also help the overbusy, lurching pacing go down smoother. But I dunno. A rewatch of both Vol. 2 and this would do wonder to clarify how I feel about this year's strange MCU entries. 7/10
    I liked how Film Crit Hulk put it recently: studio movies have gotten better at tone maintenance but worse at storytelling. That might have some connection to your concern about the film not "cohering into a whole."

Keaton is great. Holland is fun. Not enough Zendaya. The casting here is top notch all around...

BUT the film never builds to anything... its a slow decline into the not so marvelous Marvel stuff.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I learned Jennifer Connelly played the voice of Suit Lady / Karen after the movie ended, but I totally didn't put it together until Marc Bernardin pointed it out that of course she is...

[]
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

The bad thing about the connected universes now is that you can't really have a "one-off" movie anymore like Logan.

Haven't watched this yet. The thoughts here temper my anticipation a bit.

What major villains are left? I always thought Kraven would be a great villain to have as a guy who's planning to just track down a superhero for prey, and Spider-Man is his target.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The bad thing about the connected universes now is that you can't really have a "one-off" movie anymore like Logan.

Haven't watched this yet. The thoughts here temper my anticipation a bit.

What major villains are left? I always thought Kraven would be a great villain to have as a guy who's planning to just track down a superhero for prey, and Spider-Man is his target.
    Are you asking what major villains are left for Spider-man? Or what major villains are left in Marvel? Because each super hero has like 37 villains and each one of those villains doesn't have to "blow up the world". Which is why I love this movie so much. The whole plot is (not really a spoiler just Spider-man and the villain's relationship- but it's not listed in the synopsis so I'm spoilering it) [
    ] And what makes it work so well, is the movie is constantly showcasing how inexperienced both Spider-man and the villains are. Which serves as a plot device to how Peter deals with this balance of wanting to be a superhero and wanting to be cool in high school.

I can't imagine anyone preferring the two Garfield Spider-Man films over this. Those movies are so so so so so so bad.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I thought Garfield was excellent but had to work with far worse material. I don't prefer him over Holland or vice versa, but I appreciate their different takes. I've pretty much forgotten about Maguire at this point.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I can't imagine anyone preferring the two Garfield Spider-Man films over this. Those movies are so so so so so so bad.
    Does this exist??

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I thought Garfield was excellent but had to work with far worse material. I don't prefer him over Holland or vice versa, but I appreciate their different takes. I've pretty much forgotten about Maguire at this point.
    After re-watching the end of ASM1 and beginning of ASM2 (only because they have been playing all five movies on every channel for the past 2 weeks), Garfield wasn't all that great at being Peter Parker. He does a lot of repeating the same lines over and over, which comes across as someone trying to play a young kid, rather than what Holland did in this movie.

I will admit, the chemistry between him and Emma Stone in the second movie is pretty great though.

This was charming and breezy, light on its feet, goes down like a nice midday pick-me-up snack. Not much weight beyond Keaton's intensity and the surprisingly successful menace of the Vulture suit. Feels more like a half-sequel that plays on TV rather than a full movie in its own right, but it has a good bit of fun before the credits roll. Holland brings a lot of the right energy. Sort of funny that a major plot point is Peter basically trying out for the Avengers when this movie hits more or less the same tone. Close, but not quiiite there.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Great fun. I was anticipating to dislike some aspects that I ended up warming up to, such as the high-tech suit and the surrogate father relationship with Stark.

A movie like this needs a great villain and Keaton and the writers deliver - this version of the Vulture is a great character on his own right since he's essentially correct in his criticism of Tony Stark. I was practically on his side despite wanting Peter to succeed because of who he is. I also loved the reference to the classic Spiderman story "If This Be My Destiny". There are a couple of Spidey action sequences that are set up spectacularly and then not given much room to breathe or ruined by hammering the point home with v.o. I also wish it was more of a New York movie although I think the different locations were included intentionally.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    The partnership between Sony and Marvel for the third Spider-Man movie in five years does a lot differently from the majority of movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe: it has a great, fleshed out villain with a terrific performance by Michael Keaton, it grounds itself in realism as much as it can given the source material, and the film creates a fresh supporting cast around Tom Holland, who is a solid Peter Parker. Like most Marvel movies, it's also really funny and provides entertaining action sequences. Unfortunately, the inner conflict that makes Spider-Man who he is is missing from this movie in favor of restricting itself to the same old formulaic story structure of most Marvel movies. Spider-Man: Homecoming is a very entertaining addition to the MCU, but there's not much going for it beyond that.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Went to see this today. It's ok. I loved the first 30 minutes, but was quickly bored by the actual Vulture plot. Kinda just wanted a movie of him fighting muggers in Queens while navigating high school life. The latter was so charming and well done, and the former is the most sense of location any Marvel thing has conveyed. It's a better snap of NY than any of the Netflix shows.

Chris Evans was great in it, as was Hannibal Buress. "Pretty sure he's a war criminal now, but whatever."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

How do Wonder Woman and Guardians have more nays than this? o.O

This is the better movie.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Chris Evans Hannibal Buress.
    I didn't know either was in this, and now I really want to see it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast