View Poll Results: SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

21 80.77%
  • Nay

5 19.23%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Jon Watts)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    In the movie's defense, the whole 'with great power comes great responsibility' angle... is played the fuck out.
    That's true, at least in the ostentatious way it's been played before. But this version didn't have an "Uncle Ben" moment---the moment where Peter realizes that, gee, maybe he shouldn't be in this solely for himself---until the last 10 minutes and it sorely needed it.

I guess my bigger problem is that outside Tony calling him to the carpet, he doesn't face any responsibility. None of the characters hold him accountable, even for minor things like ditching out of a party or skipping the Decathlon (I think he gets detention, which he skips out on immediately and, again, nobody gives a shit.) This felt a little weird in a high school movie where a powerful adult shows up every 20 minutes, like clockwork.

For me, the lack of responsibility made his change of heart at the end of the movie feel false and unearned. I liked what they were going for, but I don't think they did it well.

It's like, gee, how enormously fucking big of you, Peter. You're choosing not to be a YouTube star. What a hero.

Wow. I'll rewatch to reevaluate, but gut reaction after first watch says the is only worse Spider-Man movie than this is Amazing Spider-Man 2. Not that this is garbage, but its just bland vanilla nothing. Kinda surprised Marvel fan gives this Vulture take a pass as its bares almost no resemblance to the comic book character I think I know. Keaton is cool, but I don't recall Vulture being Robo-thief.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    It's like, gee, how enormously fucking big of you, Peter. You're choosing not to be a YouTube star. What a hero.
    It's 2017. That is heroic!
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

- - - - -
    This might be the movie the cured me of Marvel. Whenever I think about maybe seeing "Ragnarok" or "Avengers III," I remember this film and my interest just dies.

I really don't know how to personally rate or rank these things anymore. They are all so samesie in structure and look. The jokes-per-minute directive is always followed, so it always sort of feels like the same kind of experience, even if it is a consistently entertaining one. No one is going to write an interesting film essay deconstructing this thing, but whatever, as pure entertainment, it's pretty good, I guess.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Everyone keeps saying these MCU movies are the same. And excluding Iron Man and Doctor Strange here, how is this movie the same as all the other movies?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

'Twas fine. Holland is a good Spidey and Keaton is a good addition here. Also I really enjoyed Peter's buddy finding out and being the sidekick, though I wish the movie hand't leaned so much into the Tony + the Avengers thing so much. I get it's part of the Marvel formula and shit, but it makes Peter feel secondary in his own freaking movie. Average movie all the way.
    Requiem (H. Schmid, 2006) ☆
    The Dreaming Boy is a Realist (K. Koga, 2023) ☆
    Past Lives (C. Song, 2023) ☆
    Nayola (J. M. Ribeiro, 2022) ☆
    My First Girlfriend Is a Gal S1 + OVA (H. Furukawa/Y. Ogawa, 2017) ☆
    Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! (M. Hoshino/M. Minato, 2024) ☆
    Correr para Vivir (G. Dorantes, 2024) ☆
    The Bad Guys (P. Perifel, 2022) ☆
    Persepolis (M. Satrapi/V. Paronnaud, 2007)
    Coyote (K. Jerkovic, 2022) ☆

First time ☆

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234