View Poll Results: War For The Planet Of The Apes

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

11 68.75%
  • Nay

5 31.25%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: War for the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves)

So good for the first 90 minutes that I'll forgive the last thirty where things just seem forced. An avalanche out of nowhere (???) and the extra army that seems to only really be there for added spectacle.

The reason this works is that the relationships and attitudes of the apes is so well done, that you don't even think about it as a special effect. For a while, this has an epic feeling like a classic Bridge on the River Kwai or Lawrence of Arabia feel. For a movie about monkeys, that seems to be a little over the top, but it really does work for quite a while.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Best of the three. Shares with Logan a bone-deep melancholy.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

How many of you have seen the original Planet of the Apes saga? Because the appeal of those to modern day audiences is that they are hardcore, thoughtful science fiction movies about evolution. They are Hollywood with a message. And I find it simply miraculous that Matt Reeves has turned these remakes into something that resembles those feelings.

This without even talking about the fact that this movie is gorgeous and fucking exciting. Chris Nolan should be taking notes.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    How many of you have seen the original Planet of the Apes saga? Because the appeal of those to modern day audiences is that they are hardcore, thoughtful science fiction movies about evolution. They are Hollywood with a message. And I find it simply miraculous that Matt Reeves has turned these remakes into something that resembles those feelings.

This without even talking about the fact that this movie is gorgeous and fucking exciting. Chris Nolan should be taking notes.
    The original is very good, but it has been a while. I also saw Escape From the Planet of the Apes, all of the other ones I do not remember at all.

Dunkirk is more consistent for me from start to finish, WotPotA becomes simply too Hollywoody by the end.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I have the box set, but I have only watched the original.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm a big fan of the original series. The movies are a bit uneven in quality, content and consistency, but very entertaining. The original is simply one of the best science fiction movies ever, and still holds up well. The second film (Beneath) is a wanna be sequel that admirably captures the tone of the first, but lacks the directorial and screenwriting skills to be seriously compared (similar to Jaws 2 and it's relationship to its predecessor). The third film (Escape) has a ridiculously flawed concept, but once you get past that it's a very enjoyable twist on the first film. My favorite of the sequels is the fourth (Conquest). There are two versions. The theatrical cut is good, but the director's cut is much better. It's basically the same film with some added and cut scenes which give the film more weight, especially the ending which has a very foreboding conclusion, unlike the theatrical cut which is more hopeful. The fifth film (Battle) takes it's cue from Conquest's theatrical ending and comes across as more of a watered down kid's movie. Worth watching, but very lightweight and definitely the worst film in the series.
    I think the current trilogy is outstanding, and deserves it's reputation as one of the best trilogies around.
    On a side note, there was the tv series in the early 70's designed to cash in on the films' popularity. It's not bad, but it lacks the satirical punch of the films. It is also hindered by 70's tv production values and the fact that tv science fiction at that time was not taken seriously. The show had only 14 episodes before being cancelled. Recently the El Rey network has been showing the series and I've caught a few episodes. As I said, taken for what its is, it's not bad.

Yeah, none of them are great movies except for the first one, but they have such outlandish concepts. The first sequel has the subterranean people with the atomic bomb which just blew my mind when I first saw it.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Yeah, none of them are great movies except for the first one, but they have such outlandish concepts. The first sequel has the subterranean people with the atomic bomb which just blew my mind when I first saw it.
    Yeah, it's a cool concept and the movie actually works better as a stand alone film than a companion to the first.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This was an absolute dud. I do not understand the praise for this franchise. Woody Harrelson's character left me hopelessly underwhelmed despite the assassination scene being incredibly tense. Was this movie merely an excuse to explain why humans can't talk in the original? Is Amiah Miller supposed to be Linda Harrison?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12