Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

23 74.19%
  • Nay

8 25.81%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wonder Woman (Patty Jenkins)

Hey, that reminds me of something. After I saw Atomic Blonde, I heard two observations about the way Charlize was portrayed in it that didn't even register with me, and both were made by women, if that matters.

My partner thought the costuming in the movie was fucking genius. She was going on and on about how Charlize's outfits were these high-waisted short skirts that made her legs look extra long. I noticed that too and thought they made her look really good, but apparently my partner was struck by how imposing it made her look throughout the movie. The long legs, plus the heels, made her tower over McAvoy and Boutella and basically everyone else in the movie.

The other is from NPR's Linda Holmes, who when talking about the movie said she thought it was interesting that Charlize has several nude scenes in the movie and the movie makes her look her worst in them. Anytime she's fully clothed, she's very sexy. Her clothes and her hair are perfect, she walks in this seductive way, and the camera makes her look like she's in a fashion shoot. When she's naked or in her underwear/towel, she's bruised, in no make up, she's lurching in pain, and the scene is always lit more ominously. Nothing about any of it is sexy.

...Maybe I should've posted this in the Atomic Blonde thread.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    ...Maybe I should've posted this in the Atomic Blonde thread.
    LOL, maybe. It doesn't have much to do with the subject --- but in partial response, I argue that "Atomic Blonde" wasn't sold and won't be viewed that way. (Although I think both observations are interesting and I'd bet money those choices were made by Theron herself.)

Producer
    Posted this elsewhere when the Cameron/Jenkins news first broke:

Let me just preface that this is anecdotal and also many of my country's men are gross. But: in her very briefer BvS appearance there is somehow still a shot of her during the final fight that people ogles over and still has its gif for use leeringly whenever an article about Gadot comes up. It's telling that the Gadot-almost-all-the-time Wonder Woman never inspire a single moment like that. Sexy costume or no, a director does make a difference.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    In a way this goes completely against your point to ask to see it, but since I'm genuinely unsure: Which gif do you speak of?
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Producer
    It's been long (this is most frequently in the middle period between BvS and WW) and I'm not gonna go specifically look out for it, but if I remember correctly it's during the BvS final fight where [
    ]
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Is it this?

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Is it so gross to like beautiful women? I'll forever be confused by your seemingly unanimous stand against even mild eroticism.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Is it so gross to like beautiful women? I'll forever be confused by your seemingly unanimous stand against even mild eroticism.
    I just don't like when that eroticism comes at the expense of character agency, or when I feel that the eroticism is the real point and there's no sense of balance. Neither of which I think happens at all in Wonder Woman. The One Million BC comparison from earlier feels especially off-base to me, because the issue with that film is Welch's utter lack of utility except as a source of ogling. I'd chastise that silly fur bikini because there's nothing else to consider with that character and actress.

It's funny people criticize that shot in BvS, because I don't think it has anything to do with eroticism. The shot is about her smiling when Doomsday knocks her back and us recognizing her enjoyment of a legitimate fight. The focus isn't on her upturned skirt at all.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    It's funny people criticize that shot in BvS, because I don't think it has anything to do with eroticism. The shot is about her smiling when Doomsday knocks her back and us recognizing her enjoyment of a legitimate fight. The focus isn't on her upturned skirt at all.
    Agreed, I don't see it either. I don't think it was intended to be by the shot/director/dp either.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Never saw it until it was mentioned here. Didn't even remember the scene or the smile.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    The One Million BC comparison from earlier feels especially off-base to me, because the issue with that film is Welch's utter lack of utility except as a source of ogling.
    That ScarJo's characters have more agency than Raquel's is a function of changing social mores (eg: second wave feminism). But the intent in packaging, marketing, and audience is similar.

I think Cameron's tone was cavalier and he got a little too hand-wavy, but he's not wrong, either.

Cameron is being a tool and continues to mansplain feminism to a female feminist director.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Producer
    I agree that it is absolutely not intentional on any part of the filmmakers, but I used to get annoyed at the gif cropping up so often and was very striked by how there is no equivalence from WW. So I think, even in the subsconcious and without intention, the images as seen through two filmmakers of different genders can be telling in this regard.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Nah, this is just the same old boring generic superhero nonsense that only just squeaks by on Gadot's and Pine's central relationship, which is strong and affecting.
    My thoughts exactly.

Second DC movie since the Superman one.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

-Why is it so hard to make a successful/interesting villain in these comic book movies? Heck, even Logan had a pretty lame villain in an otherwise great world. The movie probably could've skipped the "CGI-ness" of the villain altogether and maybe succeeded even more if it just was Wonder Woman understanding what war and sacrifice is.

-Gadot's reaction to killing Huston may be one of the more powerful performance parts in the "shared universe" worlds. Heck, her feelings even extend past a scene, something you also don't see in these comic universes.

-The Amazon world is goofy as hell. And holy cow, the end confrontation is bad.

-Trench war scene is cool. I like that it went from trench warfare to the city, although I don't really understand the little "bump" that the guys gave Wonder Woman to the sniper house. Did she even need it? lol.

-There's so much confusion with WWII because there's so many of the WWII cliches here.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    although I don't really understand the little "bump" that the guys gave Wonder Woman to the sniper house. Did she even need it? lol.
    It's the same move that Steve saw earlier in the fight at the island. I like that it's both in keeping with their fight style ("Shield" as signifier) and a very minor character detail that Steve's the kind of guy that pays attention.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    -Why is it so hard to make a successful/interesting villain in these comic book movies? Heck, even Logan had a pretty lame villain in an otherwise great world. The movie probably could've skipped the "CGI-ness" of the villain altogether and maybe succeeded even more if it just was Wonder Woman understanding what war and sacrifice is.
    Convention? In the end, as 'different' as Logan is, I kinda wish they had dispensed with the supervillain altogether and found instead a way to have him [
    ]

But these movies, as gutsy as some of them are, will always end up yielding to convention because $$$$$$.

But this is why superheroes can be boring and tricky to really get right all the way to the end game. For The Avengers they've been saying for what feels like years that they're finally going to find their match. Now, Thanos gets a shot at it, but he's dead in the water. Hulk alone could probably take him down.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]