Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Now that I see the trailer, it's so smart of Netflix to have this come out right after Got ends. Brilliant actually.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Agreed. And after binge(sleeping) through GoT and now in the final episodes (again).....GoT may be one of the most overrated shows of all time. Snore factory. The Witcher trailer looks like what I hoped GoT would be.

That looks terrible.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    That looks terrible.
    Did you think GoT "looked" terrible? Because it looks the exact same.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Whaaa? There's no money on the screen.

"Witcher" looks a lot closer to "Shanara" and "Legend of the Seeker" than it does "Game of Thrones" --- low rent low fantasy. Shit, even "The Magicians" looks better. Some of those shots look dangerously close to CW level.

Looks cheap and nasty. Looks like Netflix.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Did you think GoT "looked" terrible? Because it looks the exact same.
    No it definitely doesn’t.

GoT had movie level production value.

This looks like TV. Bad costumes, bad effects, horrible wig.

GoT Season 1 looks pretty cheesy at parts, but figures it out.

Witcher is worse than that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I liked the look of that. I like that it didn't look too polished or glossy. Could be a sleeper hit, tho quite possibly not among fans of the book/games.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Looks similar to Got. Not too excited at the moment, it doesn't look better than got's best seasons and although i'm a gamer and would love for this to be a critical succes, I'm wondering if this can stand out. I mean, it looks just a bit too familiar.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Bit NSFW due to an orgy scene in the background in one shot, be forewarned.

Last edited by Wryan; 10-31-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

This looks awful.

Not convinced. strange though, now we have a high-profile thing based on a videogame (well, celebrated books, but game too), on a streaming service known for quality stuff, and yet it seems the bad videogame adaptation might continue undeterred.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

- - - - -
    ICYMI, this is live now!

(also I was wrong & the show has a shit ton of nudity)

I missed nothing! Waiting for evening time because my wife will kill me if I watch a thing staring her #1 husband without her.

Seen six episodes. So weird and cheesy and awesome and violent and hilarious at the same time. It is way more than I expected but oh boy is it a totally mixed bag. I can see people equally loving and absolutely hating it.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

- - - - -
    Appropriately cheesy and over-the-top but holy shit is this bad.

The writing is non-sensical. First episode, the show drops a ton of proper and place names on the audience without context. I had no idea what the hell anyone was talking about and couldn't tell if it mattered one way or the other. The producers spent some dough on the big battle scene but the show doesn't explain why anyone is fighting or, really, who the characters are and why we should care.

The story about the wizard and the "Black Sun" girl was interesting (especially since, unlike the other stuff, it directly involves the hero). But why all the labored backstory? They end with "the girl in the woods is your destiny" but still manage to fuck that up --- because the dialogue references one girl and the visuals a different one, so it's no immediately clear who is being referred to.

50 minutes or so and a lotta work (and some seriously nasty violence) to set up what amounts to a single big plot beat. Girl on the run with an anti-hero looking for her.

I did enjoy Cavill and the show's immediate use of magic and the 1 CGI monster they showed. I'm hoping there's more of that to come. All this cross country political shit I could do without.

First two episodes are basically dumping names and places but somehow it does come together. The whole first season appears to be put together from single short stories that came out as a collection, and even though it definitely shows and hurts it, it was necessary for any of this to make any sense without taking massive liberties with the narrative.

I watched the first ep, but I'm gonna have to rewatch. The cough medicine took me over. Damn am I sick.

- - - - -
    The second episode is actually worse. It feels like the writers had never seen a television show before. At one point, a character says, "There I go, spouting exposition again!" So they were aware of the problem, but decided to lampshade it? Wtf?

I'm also a little disappointed in what the show actually is (which isn't its fault). I thought it would be Cavill wandering around, Conan style, and getting in adventures and shit. I didn't expect there to be 3 separate stories with 3 different sets of characters, with Geralt being only one in a fairly large cast.

PS: Hope you feel better, Skitch!

Yeah, it's a pretty big deal that they did that. Apparently, at some point someone was thinking of making it the Ciri show, with her as the main POV character.

Bout halfway thru so far and it's mostly good fun. It's pretty cheeseball at times, but I enjoy the adventures and the timeline stuff (once it got organized and I understood what was the fuck was going on). The "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher" song is deliciously catchy even if the verse lyrics are garbage lol. Hope the second half of season measure up. The striga episode was awesome. More self-contained things like that please!

--Homer

I also liked that they didn't half-ass Yennefer's transformation. It was promised to be ugly and painful, and jesus it was.

--Homer

Also incredibly physically demanding, and nude scenes on top of everything. Chalotra is an absolute trooper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12