View Poll Results: Where does it land on the spectrum?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aliens

13 59.09%
  • Alien vs. Predator 2

9 40.91%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant (Ridley Scott)

To me, the Queen is just David's next step in development, considering the one alien at a time simply isn't working out.

I'm guessing he'll somehow be labeled as 'dangerous' or 'wanted at all costs.' He takes refuge on whatever planet he's on, develops the queen that can create the eggs on her own without him there, and awaits an army that's out to get him...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It matters because Ridley Scott has decided to take something that didn't need explaining and explain it. Fine, in that case, at least do it properly. But these first two movies have been rife with idiotic plot conveniences and ridiculous character decisions and inconsistent timelines and random biological phenomena and it is only serving to frustrate rather than illuminate. It has taken something that we didn't know much about and two movies later we still don't know much because of the parade of unanswered questions that litter these things. So, no, that one question on its own wouldn't be enough to break an entire film, but it is one of a trillion little questions, deaths by a thousand cuts.

AND, even worse, Prometheus was cut a little slack because it was assumed many of the unanswered questions in that would be addressed in Covenant. But as we have seen, most of the Engineer stuff has been waved away, so it follows that many of the unanswered questions in this latest one may never get answered. And that's frustrating. And should absolutely be a source of criticism.

It doesn't feel as if there is any underlying logic in this prequel duo; they're so wrapped up in deepening a mythology that didn't need deepening that they are forgetting a basic rule: make sure it is logical in the context of the rules you have set for your universe. Here, it fails dramatically.

That's bollocks. People complain about Prometheus because it presented more questions than answers- but at least it tried to do something new. Now people complain about this movie because it answers questions (but not the ones I want!), and is basically a remake of Alien. It's a lose lose with audiences and it's frustrating as fuck to read.

AND, even worse, Prometheus was cut a little slack because it was assumed many of the unanswered questions in that would be addressed in Covenant.
    This couldn't be more incorrect. Prometheus was cut... zero slacks.
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 05-22-2017 at 12:24 AM.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    To me, the Queen is just David's next step in development, considering the one alien at a time simply isn't working out.

I'm guessing he'll somehow be labeled as 'dangerous' or 'wanted at all costs.' He takes refuge on whatever planet he's on, develops the queen that can create the eggs on her own without him there, and awaits an army that's out to get him...
    That's cool if that's true, but I take it as another mutation within the Xenomorphs. I mean, as I said before, it doesn't matter in the least bit.

Think of it like a Ant Queen. Or Bee Queen.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Or an Ant Bee.

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Scar again.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Alien: Covenant (Ridley Scott)

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That's bollocks. People complain about Prometheus because it presented more questions than answers- but at least it tried to do something new. Now people complain about this movie because it answers questions (but not the ones I want!), and is basically a remake of Alien. It's a lose lose with audiences and it's frustrating as fuck to read.

This couldn't be more incorrect. Prometheus was cut... zero slacks.
    Here's where I think your argument falls down:

1. Trying something different =/= good
    2. Answering questions =/= good

Pretty straight forward. And as I said, Scott has taken something that didn't need explaining and made it convoluted and inept.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 05-22-2017 at 01:25 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

That's cool if that's true, but I take it as another mutation within the Xenomorphs. I mean, as I said before, it doesn't matter in the least bit.

Sure. No reason to discount the movie for not answering it either.

If the xenomorph species figured it out on its own, like the "life finds a way" meme. That'd be pretty cool.

I like my idea of basically retreading Aliens territory by bringing in the military to take down David and his xenomorph farm. Obviously, doesn't go as planned.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Here's where I think your argument falls down:

1. Trying something different =/= good
    2. Answering questions =/= good

Pretty straight forward. And as I said, Scott has taken something that didn't need explaining and made it convoluted and inept.
    As if those were the only two things I liked about both films. I couldn't have cared at all if any questions were answered in Covenant. Which is why I don't care about the Queen question. Those are nice to haves. Not musts.

Don't you see the contradiction here? If it doesn't matter how the aliens work or how anything comes about regarding the xenomorphs, why on Earth do we need a prequel trilogy in the first place? What IS the point?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Don't you see the contradiction here? If it doesn't matter how the aliens work or how anything comes about regarding the xenomorphs, why on Earth do we need a prequel trilogy in the first place? What IS the point?
    HAha that's exactly why I pointed out Prometheus. It wasn't even supposed to be an Alien film, but just to exist in the Alien universe. Everyone and their mother's complained and Scott said, "Fine, I'll give you Alien 5"... He basically was giving the audience a middle finger with that shower scene at the end (which at that point was like a completely different movie was tacked on. Everything on the ship was fan service). He WANTED to do something new, but you simpletons couldn't handle it.

you simpletons
    r/iamverysmart
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

You know I'm just lashing out.

Ha. For a bit, I didn't know there was a couple on the ship.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Im not gonna review this until I see it again because admittedly I had a few drinks beforehand. As a Prometheus defender who can make the leaps required to make it a cohesive plot, I was fucking baffled by Covenant. I didnt understand a fucking thing in this movie. I said to my friends, "this is what Prometheus haters mustve felt leaving the theater." I dont even know where to begin.

Review withheld for now.

Alien Vs. Predator had a better opening than this.

For fuck's sake, can we please give Guy Pearce something better to do in these movies than to exist at various stages of crotchety? I also don't know what accent Fassbender was trying for Walter, but I knew that reed instrument was up to no good. It didn't occur to me before this film that there has never, not once, been a flying xenomorph hybrid (perfect organism, my ass!). There was almost some movement in that direction with the giant horsefly drawings/"models" (?), but upon reflection, it might be better that we don't go down the Tremors 3 road. Everything in this felt preordained and sort of obvious. Maybe they should have split up the couples so one half remains in cocoons. Gives the woke crew further incentive to protect the cargo and reduces potential distractions. Actually, who gives a shit.

And Scott wants to do how many more of these? Maybe he shouldn't.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

- - - - -
    He WANTED to do something new, but you simpletons couldn't handle it.
    OOH, I share your frustration. OTOH, I can't really blame anybody for being disappointed in an "Alien" movie that didn't have any aliens.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    OOH, I share your frustration. OTOH, I can't really blame anybody for being disappointed in an "Alien" movie that didn't have any aliens.
    The title of the movie led you to believe there would be Aliens in the movie? Or the one sheet? or the tagline: "The search for our beginning could lead to our end".

Reducing all of the complaints about Prometheus to "you simpletons couldn't handle something new" is next level silly.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Yeh Meg. That's why it's a joke.

- - - - -
    The title of the movie led you to believe there would be Aliens in the movie? Or the one sheet? or the tagline: "The search for our beginning could lead to our end".
    I'm saying that if you make a movie in that universe and don't show the aliens, people will be disappointed. That's all. It seems self evident to me, like basic movie making and marketing 101 but apparently Fox and Scott (still!) haven't figured it out.

I can't really blame anyone who was pissed about that experience, and I can't blame them for staying away from this franchise because it's become too esoteric and weird.
    Last edited by Irish; 05-23-2017 at 12:37 AM.

Esoteric and weird is definitely not the problem; confusing, lumbering, and occasionally idiotic definitely is.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I feel like I'm in Spinal Tap with some of these recent explanations for why movies tank:

I for one don't think the problem was that Prometheus was offbeat and alien-free, I think the problem may have been that it was a dumb and ill-conceived B-movie.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast