View Poll Results: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (James Gunn)

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

22 78.57%
  • Nay

6 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (James Gunn)

Producer

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (James Gunn)

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    This feels like the first film on drunk mode, for better and worse. As much as people deride the "formula" of the first, it at least builds to a stirring climatic moment that tie in the two arcs of Peter's past and his make-shift new family beautifully. This, on the other hand, throws so many mini-teamups and little arcs into the air, without a care in the world on how, with so little plot this time, they will fare in the end. They all have a nice thematic throughline about family, but personally I find about half of them get moved along and/or tied up in short melodramatic bursts and expositions that are far from satisfying, with none reaching the first one's high(s).

However, its more drunken enthusiasm has some merits. Without the more fixed formula of the first one, Vol. 2 contains even more of the delightful character moments and blissful hang-out vibe. Indeed, during the first half where there is no need to address the drama yet, I was thinking there is a good chance this might even surpass the first one, based on sheer joyful highs alone, with character combinations and chemistry paying off wonderfully non-stop. Maybe next time, if they have a chance for individual installments again, let's dispense with the big (melo)dramatic moments altogether if they are getting in the way of these characters hanging out.

Also, at least James Gunn seems more confident as a director this time out. More fluid, clearer direction, with even more popping colors and (big improvement over the first) beautiful compositions. This might be middle-of-the-road for the studio, but I have no trouble calling it the most gorgeous Marvel yet.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    Ranking (or even rating) this is tricky for me; it's all over the place, with its highs so good and its lows so meh that I can place it high below Thor or way down below the first Captain. For now, let's just say I like its exuberant highs better than the first Iron Man's consistency.

Captain America: Civil War (2016)
    The Avengers (2012)
    Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    Thor (2011)
    Iron Man 3 (2013)
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
    Iron Man (2008)
    Doctor Strange (2016)
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
    Iron Man 2 (2010)
    Ant-Man (2015)
    The Incredible Hulk (2008)
    Thor: The Dark World (2013)
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

I agree. It really was all over the place. It was mostly fun, so I (currently) side on the 4 side of 3.5 (since there's no half star votes here), but that's based more on the fun of the film than the story of the film. Also, Baby Groot, while cute, was almost too cute, making me come to dread seeing him on the screen as the film wore on.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

How is this 137 minutes long?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'm bracing for Avengers 3 and 4 to both be 180 minutes.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    How is this 137 minutes long?
    Yeah, having seen it, there is no way this needed to be 137 minutes long. Get rid of all of the mid- and end-credits scenes - they are literally all pointless, sub-DVD extra uselessness - and severely cut down on Kurt Russell's tour guide shtick on the planet and his interminable over-explanation of everything for a start. The rest is decent - the ride is definitely bordering on the formulaic, and the humor is a lot less successful this time around, but there are some nice shaggy hang-out scenes (Groot trying to get the fin) that earn their indulgent length and the opening credits are inspired. The biggest thing that knocks this into the lower-upper bracket of the Marvel movies is that it contains some of the most genuinely moving moments of this universe to date - plus it is just not afraid to be goofy and weird.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I thought this was pretty weak. It does what most disappointing sequels do: seizes on what made the first one good and pushes those elements too hard. Where the humor and soundtrack of the first one felt natural to me, this one just feels insistent about its jokes and musical setups. The jokes are often overly repetitive or feel like shoehorned non sequiturs, and they only occasionally land. They're also a lot crasser than I remember them being in the first movie.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Didn't love it. The team is starting to shape up and I really enjoy the banter. I wish there was more of it. In my head I was letting this shape up as a the GotG Empire Strikes Back. Team starts out together at the beginning, they split up, have a couple of separate story arcs, reunite in the end, bing bang boom, setup GotG3. But I find very little things I want to gush over. Kurt Russel was great- and I thought the depiction of Ego on the screen was perfect. It's not an easy thing to do to turn this into a character in Hollywood. Finale was fine I suppose. Name drop Thanos a couple of times, introduce Adam Warlock into the MCU, introduce Eternity into the MCU and this feels like the bridgiest-MCU movie yet. It also plays more as a straight comedy. A lot of effort for laughs this time around. The opening scene seemed a bit forced. Drax/Bautista is the MVP.

1.The Avengers 2012
    2.Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2014
    3.Captain America: Civil War 2016
    4.Avengers: Age of Ultron 2015
    5.Guardians of the Galaxy 2014
    6.Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 2017
    7.Ant-Man 2015
    8.Doctor Strange 2016
    9.Iron Man 2008
    10.Iron Man 3 2013
    11.Captain America: The First Avenger 2011
    12.Thor 2011
    13.Iron Man 2 2010
    14.The Incredible Hulk 2008
    15.Thor: The Dark World 2013

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I was interested in the double feature, but alas, I had to work tonight. Should be seeing this tomorrow...

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yeah, I saw it last night too. I love the first Guardians to death, it's easily the benchmark of the MCU for me and manages to be a source of the sort of effortless fun that's so often strived for but rarely achieved with blockbusters. So it's hugely puzzling and a shame as to to how generally ambivalent I now am to Vol. 2.

My biggest issue with it is it seems to model itself after what slow seasons of a big serialized TV (Lost, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc.) often do a crutch: Split up the core dynamic and then just leave them sitting around in different places for long periods of time before the right plot mechanics allow them to come back together to solve central conflicts and work out their personal issues. The first film was so propulsive and exciting and it was always excitingly going from one planet to another with purpose and verve. Vol. 2 is so content with leaving the majority of the group on Ego's Planet while Rocket, Yondu and Groot are on the Ravagers' ship for waaaayyy too long. There must have been a better way to work out them joining the others sooner in the script. Even once Nebula gets there it feels like things aren't picking up like they should because Ego The Living Exposition is still holding Peter somewhere explaining more and more about who and what he is. There are so many scenes of the characters other than Peter just sitting around on Ego for way too long. Like, we get it, he's found the family he's been searching for and abandoning the one he already has. But c'mon, how much can we sit on those narrative beats before it feels like the audience's mood is as bored and stagnant as theirs?

It's even more aggravating because there is a lot to like in it, which just makes the assembly of all of its elements so frustrating on the whole. Rooker, Bautista, Russell are all great, with Klementieff as a lovely addition, and Saldana feeling like she's being given more interesting things to do. Which isn't to shirk Pratt and Cooper's efforts (I think the latter is even more assured and skillfully played this time around), but having them lead each of the two main storylines' directions makes them frustrating to follow. In the original, there was always the sense that Peter and Rocket could be one step ahead of everyone on screen and even us as the audience, and for all their shabby dispositions, they had that unique intelligence and charm that unexpected would be revealed to pull them through. I really think that's gone here, and it gives them significantly less agency.

In fact, I'm not sure which characters do feel like they have agency this time around. It all just feels like the story is waiting for Ego to unveil his true intentions and push the third act into something the Guardians need to come together to resolve, with way too much talking and fine but oddly static action in between (with a bit of a meaner streak this time around, particularly the stuff with Yondu & co.'s capture and escape). I'm usually somehow who never has a problem with long lengths of movies. If something is interesting and it letting me live in its world for more time, then I am open to it. But with this movie, you really get the sense that there's flab in the middle of it. Things like the "Groot needing to get the fin" scene are definitely funny, but do they really need to take as long as they do and not be intercut at all with anything moving along in the A-story? After a while it felt like Gunn was arbitrarily rotating every 8-10 minutes between Ego and the Ravager ship for no reason other than he didn't script it any more interestingly to change in production or post.

So look, I laughed and smiled a lot, I loved seeing the characters again even if I wasn't as invested in what they were doing, the visual design is often very stunning (though Ego's surface was a bit on the weakly garish side to me, as much as that might've been the point), the soundtrack is nice (even if the movie is expectedly a bit over-reliant on it this time around). If you're as big a fan of the original and this world as I was, then there's probably no talking you out of it, it's just a shame it wasn't as radiantly enjoyable, exciting or moving as the original. (Which is another small thing, I've heard people say this one is more emotional, but to me, the first's finale takes the cake over this one.)

It's on the level of Iron Man 2 for me (and coincidentally it's pretty thematically sympatico), but I'm the one weird person that also likes Iron Man 2 quite a bit.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 05-05-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Overall I liked it, though I have a hard time seeing this having the lasting power of the first. A number of things stood out to me that felt weaker than the first, among them being the use of music, which doesn't feel as organically integrated, and often feels shoehorned in, particularly when we have multiple scenes of Rocket pretty much pointing out how they always listen to music while they're doing their thing. So that was disappointing, and I honestly don't even recall most of the soundtrack, even only an hour after the fact, which I honestly think comes down to the poor execution more so than the song choice.

As far as the film's length, despite being as long as it was, the movie honestly felt rather short. In fact, it almost felt too short, like there was a chunk missing somewhere. Just the way this thing is plotted, I guess after they go to Ego's planet, I kept expecting for them to move on from there, so when by the end of the movie, they were still there, it definitely just felt, I dunno, off to me. As others have pointed out, the first movie had them hopping from location to location, it was a real adventure movie exploring the galaxy. So the fact that this movie really only hops to the one location and more or less stays there the whole movie definitely left me feeling like we were missing out on something. So the pacing was a bit weird, but like I said, it never dragged or anything, and honestly went by rather quickly, so that much was nice.

Perhaps it's almost fitting that this one toned down on the adventure aspect and stuck to the one planet, though, seeing as how this felt like a more personal story centered around the characters and their personal issues. Because that was honestly the strong point of the movie, were the various character arcs that drove them apart and gradually brought them back together. I mean, it all felt rather typical, but it still worked. And the end was pretty stirring as well, though definitely doesn't reach the heights of emotion seen in the first movie.

Everyone seems to be praising either Drax or Baby Groot as the highlights of this movie. Personally, Groot honestly just sorta existed to me here, which is sort of a shame, seeing as how he was easily my favorite character in the first. As to Drax, he was still good, though perhaps a bit over-done at times. To me though, it was actually Nebula's arc that I found the most intriguing this time around, and I'd follow that with the relationship between Rocket and Yondu.

Glancing over the responses already, I agree that the movie is gorgeous, however. And also agreed that all 5 of the post-credits scenes were entirely pointless and unnecessary, and honestly not even all that interesting or entertaining. Meh to that. Oh, and Duke, I was also making the Empire Strikes Back comparisons while watching this.

So yeah, I thought this was pretty decent. Perfectly serviceable, though considering it's the successor to what is bar none the best in the MCU to date, that this one is merely "good" but nowhere near "great", can be seen as a disappointment. After all, the first one has stayed with me pretty vividly for years now, where as this movie is already fading from memory only a couple of hours after the fact. But eh, we'll see.

Needed more Elizabeth Debicki.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Also, the Mary Poppins joke is the hardest I've laughed in any of these Marvel movies.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

We're reaching the point where there's so many of these and it's been so long since I've seen most of them that I'm not even really all that confident with a lot of these rankings anymore. But...

Guardians of the Galaxy
    Captain America: Civil War
    Iron Man 3
    The Avengers
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    Thor: The Dark World
    Iron Man
    Thor
    The Incredible Hulk
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Doctor Strange
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Ant-Man
    Iron Man 2

The top 6 feels about right to me, at least...

Hey, they finally pulled it off! Young Kurt Russell was way less creepy than young RDJ or young Michael Douglas.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Hey, they finally pulled it off! Young Kurt Russell was way less creepy than young RDJ or young Michael Douglas.
    Need more thoughts than this.

The more I think about this movie the more I like it. I really love how they are not leaning on the MCU as much. Barely any mention of the Infinity Stones. Couple of Thanos name drops but with respect to the story. And it's the first villain since Loki that actually was interesting with a premise that wasn't just; destroy this, take over that.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    The more I think about this movie the more I like it. I really love how they are not leaning on the MCU as much. Barely any mention of the Infinity Stones. Couple of Thanos name drops but with respect to the story. And it's the first villain since Loki that actually was interesting with a premise that wasn't just; destroy this, take over that.
    Agreed, this is sitting incredibly well with me so far. And really, part of what I love about it so much is just how disconnected it is from the rest of the MCU. It's just such a breath of fresh air in that regard, so much so that I'm actually not even looking forward to them getting dragged into the mix with Infinity War. I would much prefer they just stay away and continue to do their own thing honestly.

Agreed, this is sitting incredibly well with me so far. And really, part of what I love about it so much is just how disconnected it is from the rest of the MCU. It's just such a breath of fresh air in that regard, so much so that I'm actually not even looking forward to them getting dragged into the mix with Infinity War. I would much prefer they just stay away and continue to do their own thing honestly.
    It makes me really happy that Gunn will be doing the third movie- and even after Infinity War he's basically taking over as Whedon's creative eye in the sky, watching over all future projects.

This was...fine. A couple big laughs that really hit, as well as smaller moments that maintained a good level (Groot bringing the wrong items, ugly Mantis). But then there was a lot that fell on its face. The gold people don't really work that well, the Taserface stuff doesn't work at all, and the doubling down (tripling) on deep emotional family moments started well but eventually stretched goodwill. Rooker's great with not a lot to work with, but I wish they had waited until the third to go this way, 'cause it's [
    ] I continue to appreciate Drax and his way of piercing thru the fog (like identifying Yondu as Peter's father; right in spirit if not letter). Russell really sold the whole trickiness of such a portrayal, so that was interesting to see.

It was about what I expected.
    Last edited by Wryan; 05-08-2017 at 04:47 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

As a Gilmore stan I really appreciated Sean Gunn's expanded role.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

This is real.

Pratt seems like a sincere guy.
    Movie Theater Diary

Being a sports fan and a Marvel fan, I especially enjoyed the friendly bet between him and Chris Evans after super bowl 49. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...att-bet-779962

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast