Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Handmaid's Tale (Season 1)

Finished this last night and I was pretty disappointed with the final episode. I think it might be the weakest of the series. The climactic confrontation between the handmaids and the powers-that-be just doesn't ring true.

[
    ]

Moss is wonderful, but I think I'm out after this season.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I think you have it in your head that the handmaids are more expendable than the show makes them to be? Gilead considers fertile women to be a very rare and extremely valuable commodity that upsets everyone when one is lost, so it makes sense to me that they're not constantly threatened with looming death (I certainly don't watch the show thinking of that as the stake). [
    ] It's not like this is a war-time world with trigger-happy gestapos. We were shown that Gilead has some semblance of due process, however tipped.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    And that sequence with Nina Simone ... just awful.
    Yeah. Can we please retire that song being used in TV already?
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Finished this last night. It's certainly compelling, but I'm not sure how much of this isn't just propped up completely by Moss's performance and the superb production values. The lone episode where Moss isn't front and center definitely felt like the weakest and felt like an episode of a bad TV show. So far, I'm not convinced that the writing is superior. Too often, characters don't seem to be saying or doing things that would be helpful to their cause, and the show seems to be playing it fast and loose with its internal logic. There's a good foundation here with Moss and the show's design, but there's still considerable room for growth from a characterization and storytelling standpoint.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12