The bloglink in my signature has said "American Cinema" Blog-a-thon for a while, and I thought it would be cool to get anyone interested from Match Cut involved as well.

Basically, it's the 40th anniversary of Andrew Sarris' "The American Cinema: Directors and Directions 1929-1968," which itself classified 40 years of movie history by directors and evaluated them into categories. Whether one likes it or not, the basic premises of the auteur theory have become quite influential and discussion of directors has been a major part of film discourse since. Far from going to the polemical extremes of Sarris' French progenitors or the most hardcore auteurists of today, I was hoping to get a wide range of evaluations of directors from the past 40 years from as many bloggers/writers as possible.

This confluence of director-centric writing has been due at the arbitrary date of April 14, and I've already gotten such luminaries as Matt Seitz and our own Philosophe_rouge on board. I realize people have Top 100s and, you know, real life, to contend with, but I was just seeing if anyone here was interested in contributing. Feel free to click the link in my sig for more details.

MCers so far:

Raiders - Jonathan Demme
Bosco - Tobe Hooper
MadMan - Quentin Tarantino
Boner - Paul Thomas Anderson
Meg - Steven Soderbergh
Grouchy - John Carpenter