View Poll Results: The Death of Louis XIV (Albert Serra)

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

2 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%

Thread: The Death of Louis XIV (Albert Serra)

The Death of Louis XIV (Albert Serra)

THE DEATH OF LOUIS XIV
    Dir. Albert Serra

IMDb page
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

I need to see more of Patrick d'Assumçao's work, because this is the second time now (after Stranger by the Lake) where the dude is lowkey the MVP (I didn't even recognize him here at first, either). Jean-Pierre Léaud as the Sun King is the big draw, obviously, the center of the galaxy around which all other players orbit, but it's Patrick as the Sun King's doctor, Fagon, who provides the movie's most resonant throughline, attempting a preposterous balancing act of reverence for his king, professional duty to treat the king's illness, and his own self-preservation. He delivers the last line, constituting one of the best movie endings in recent memory. It reminded me a bit of The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, particularly with the ending, and the way they deflate social ritual and the hubris of academic knowledge. One of the film's best (and most laugh out loud funny) sequences involves a group of doctors from the Academy berating another for being a charlatan with unscientific methods. Shout out to Vicenç Altaió (Casanova from Story of My Death) who shows up in this sequence as the charlatan, basically playing an 18th century Dr. Steve Brule. For your health.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

It's pretty terrific.

(And while I'm here, I might as well shamelessly include a link to my TIFF festival report, where I touch on the film briefly. Incidentally, at the TIFF screening I went to, the first question was, "Why didn't they cut off his leg?!?" And then the whole thing got hijacked by this little old lady who wanted to have a one-on-one conversation with Serra for, like, twenty minutes.)
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World