Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Match Cut Superhero Movie Consensus

Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 1
    I'm curious about what could make someone hate this movie so much. Don't like spy intrigue in your superhero movies? Disagree with its ideological position somehow?
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Happy to skew some stats!

Iron Man - 7
    The Incredible Hulk - 8
    Iron Man 2 - 5
    Thor - 3
    Captain America: The First Avenger - 6
    The Avengers - 5
    Iron Man 3 - 6
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 2
    Guardians of the Galaxy - 7

Hello Sven, long time. Miss your wit and sardonic observations.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Iron Man - 7.5
    The Incredible Hulk - 4
    Iron Man 2 - 4
    Thor - 6
    Captain America: The First Avenger - 8
    The Avengers - 7.5
    Iron Man 3 - 7.5
    Thor: The Dark World - 3
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 8
    Guardians of the Galaxy - 8.5
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - 6
    Ant-Man - 5
    Captain America: Civil War - 7
    Doctor Strange - 6.5
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    I'm curious about what could make someone hate this movie so much. Don't like spy intrigue in your superhero movies? Disagree with its ideological position somehow?
    I think it really exposes the flaws of having a shared-universe instead of a series of films. The plot works fine on its own if it was just the second Steve Rogers movie, but the reveals about SHIELD being comprised of a huge number of Nazis (and thus about Nick Fury's competence level) can't exist in isolation. They basically negate everything about the organization that came in the films before it (and nothing in any of these movies carries forward to the next ones enough).

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I think it really exposes the flaws of having a shared-universe instead of a series of films. The plot works fine on its own if it was just the second Steve Rogers movie, but the reveals about SHIELD being comprised of a huge number of Nazis (and thus about Nick Fury's competence level) can't exist in isolation. They basically negate everything about the organization that came in the films before it (and nothing in any of these movies carries forward to the next ones enough).
    There was only one film before it that had anything to do with SHIELD and SHIELD's inter workings and it was Avengers. This is a real stretch of a criticism. If anything, I would criticize Tony Stark for not discovering Hydra while on the helecarrier when he and Captain were trying to figure out SHIELD's play. That's the only continuity issue that exists between that film and Winter Soldier.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Results:

Guardians of the Galaxy - 8.0 (22 votes)
    The Avengers - 7.3 (22)
    Iron Man 3 - 7.0 (19)
    Captain America: The First Avenger - 6.9 (18)
    Iron Man - 6.8 (22)
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 6.7 (20)
    Captain America: Civil War - 6.6 (17)
    Doctor Strange - 6.4 (17)
    Ant-Man - 6.3 (15)
    Thor - 6.1 (20)
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - 5.7 (16)
    The Incredible Hulk - 5.2 (13)
    Iron Man 2 - 4.6 (16)
    Thor: The Dark World - 4.1 (13)

Average: 6.3
    Weighted average (i.e., average of all votes cast): 6.4

Biggest fan: Lazlo
    Biggest hater: Stay Puft
    Most consistent voter: transmogrifier
    Most variable voter: number8
    Most devoted viewer: Stay Puft (lots of people saw all 14 movies, but he saw them all despite disliking them. That's devotion.)
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

I'd forgotten all about that. I was more bothered by the convenient reintroduction of Thor in Avengers, which made the ending of his movie irrelevant. Not that it affected my score much (if at all).

lists and reviews

I'm variable!
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Results:

Guardians of the Galaxy - 8.0 (22 votes)
    The Avengers - 7.3 (22)
    Iron Man 3 - 7.0 (19)
    Captain America: The First Avenger - 6.9 (18)
    Iron Man - 6.8 (22)
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 6.7 (20)
    Captain America: Civil War - 6.6 (17)
    Doctor Strange - 6.4 (17)
    Ant-Man - 6.3 (15)
    Thor - 6.1 (20)
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - 5.7 (16)
    The Incredible Hulk - 5.2 (13)
    Iron Man 2 - 4.6 (16)
    Thor: The Dark World - 4.1 (13)

Average: 6.3
    Weighted average (i.e., average of all votes cast): 6.4

Biggest fan: Lazlo
    Biggest hater: Stay Puft
    Most consistent voter: transmogrifier
    Most variable voter: number8
    Most devoted viewer: Stay Puft (lots of people saw all 14 movies, but he saw them all despite disliking them. That's devotion.)
    Vindication: Thor Dark World is the worst MCU film.

WTF MC: Winter Solider getting a lower grade than First Avenger. Does not fucking compute.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the rating for The First Avenger. Always dug that flick, so it's nice to see it receive such a warm reception here as well.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    WTF MC: Winter Solider getting a lower grade than First Avenger. Does not fucking compute.
    Can't speak for anyone else, but "First Avenger" is a perfect comic book movie with a great ending. It also doesn't require greater knowledge of the Marvel univserse to enjoy it, which is an attribute I appreciate more and more these days.

As Gibblets noted, "Winter Soldier" would have been much cooler if SHIELD meant anything beforehand or afterwards. (It also suffers retrospectively because, man, every big franchise did that whole "betrayal from within" storyline and that gets reaaaaally boring.)

ETA: The overall ratings were much lower than I assumed they would be, given some of the conversations in individual movie threads.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Yeah, I was expecting Winter Soldier to be the second or third highest rated of the bunch.

lists and reviews

I am most happy about MCs numbers on First Avenger. I loved that flick when it came out and felt it deserved more adoration. I assumed I'd be the only one here rating it high. Good job, MC.

Now better than Winter Soldier, eh, here nor there. All in all the final tally is pretty damn close to how I would arrange the MCU, with the obvious ones exceptions that I'm against type (IM3 & A2).

Betrayal from within.
    The power is in the man, not the costume.
    With great power, comes great responsibility.

Yeah yeah yeah.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The top three are the least anonymous of the Marvel movies so makes sense a site like this would vote them the highest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12