Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rick & Morty (Season 3)

Ivan, you're on the money. This season seems hellbent on exposing Rick's flaws and deconstructing his established persona of smartest man in the room who always wins in the end.

"I want cookies and a 90 minute cut of Avatar!"

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    "Camp Flabbanabba".
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 08-21-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Did anyone else watch last Sunday's episode? Watching Rick and Morty's relationship take a turn for the toxic was both compelling and unsettling for me. I also thought it was intriguing as it was twisted to watch Rick progress to a monster of a human being. Maybe there's an earlier example of this, but I feel like for the first two seasons, Rick's nihilism was made hilarious by the absurdist and improvisational comedy and world building, and while those elements are still present this season, there's a dark side of Rick coming out from underneath the woodworks. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there was something about him telling the lead rat he wasn't special before killing him, and his [
    ] that made me notice a change in character.
    There's been a lot of Rick's toxicity throughout the series (for me, the most harrowing is the Unity episode), but yeah, the show does seem to be shining its light more in that direction. I wonder if part of this is intended to be a consequence of him having adventures with Morty and becoming more cognizant of his toxicity (and doubling down to convince himself that it's not a problem). I mean, the entire reason "Pickle Rick" works is because the show immediately gives away the game: this isn't some absurdist adventure, he's simply trying to avoid therapy. And probably because he's scared the "agent of averageness" in the strip mall will recognize how corrosive he is to his family and to himself (and she does, and Sarandon knocks that scene out of the fucking park).

Have you ever been peed on before? OMG yum.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I guess the increased toxicity in their relationship this season was a set up for this episode.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Last night's episode is up there with Pickle Rick as the best of the season so far.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Not sure anything beats episode 1 guys. It's so chaotic and perfectly written. Seal Team Rick!

I'm gonna go take a dump.

HAH! I completely missed the American Psycho reference.

Excellent episode btw. I dont know how many episodes there are this season, but i hope there's dozens.

14, methinks.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Another amazing episode that I need to watch again - this is a premise where I would've been more than happy with a two-parter or hourlong episode; the story comes at you so fast that it's a struggle to keep up with all the nuance and real-world parallels, to race, class, corporatism, politics. It's like they wanted to see if they could jam a season of The Wire into 22 minutes.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Another amazing episode that I need to watch again - this is a premise where I would've been more than happy with a two-parter or hourlong episode; the story comes at you so fast that it's a struggle to keep up with all the nuance and real-world parallels, to race, class, corporatism, politics. It's like they wanted to see if they could jam a season of The Wire into 22 minutes.
    I felt the same way. And upon a second rewatch there's a major plot twist I missed through the first viewing. I'll leave it for folks to find for themselves but it has to do with something campaign Morty says right before he's jettisoned into space. Also, that final shot.

Paradigms of Morty Memory.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I had never heard of that conspiracy theory before.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I had never heard of that conspiracy theory before.
    What? Seriously? One of the most well known music legends of all time.

- - - - -
    Duke's post made me consider how I know what I know. My reaction was similar to Grouch's---how does he not know that? But then I thought, wait, how do I know that? And why? It's an obscure piece of bullshit trivia that doesn't have much to do with anything. (But it was fun that R&M included it.)

Anyway this week's episode was a little lazy around the edges (too much self-referential stuff, too many lampshaded moments) but I still dug it. R&M is the only show around that continually tops itself week after week with pure crazy.

Well first, I'm not a Beatles fan. So I ignore anything that has anything to do with them.

And second, reading through the wiki, most of the speculation occurred in the 60s and 70s. I was born in 1984.

That's like me asking you guys if you remember the Britney Spears / Eminem conspiracy from 1999? I bet you don't.

The Britney / Eminem thing is bizarre but not nearly as well known.

I honestly can't remember the first time I heard about it either. Might also have been a pop culture joke I didn't get.

I can't remember where I know it from, either. It's like how I don't remember when I found out that Darth Vader is Luke's dad. Certainly not from watching Empire for the first time, but before that. It was just a commonly known pop culture thing that's out there that I came in contact with, and the Paul rumor was the same. It wasn't from being a Beatles fanatic.
    Movie Theater Diary

Count me among the people who thought everyone knew the "Paul is dead" urban legend.

Anyway, this Beth episode is seriously disturbing. Feels like a direct sequel to Pickle Rick, which I'm sure was the intention.

Good thing Jerry's got a B-plot to provide the laugh out loud stuff.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast