View Poll Results: Ghost in the Shell

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

3 21.43%
  • Nay

11 78.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ghost in the Shell (Rupert Sanders)

Casting Johansson as the Major would have garnered a lot less criticism (still some, but a lot less I'm sure) if there were enough parts and opportunities in mainstream American film and television to represent the population we have in the US. Many Japanese moviegoers not grasping issues of minority representation in an American context really doesn't amount to much.

This round-table discussion with four Japanese-American actresses is a really good read. They discuss their reactions to the film with insight and humor. There are spoilers for the film (and yes, these are different spoilers than the plot of the original animated film).

Quote Quoting Keiko Agena
    That was so weird. Everybody in this world understands Japanese. Only one person speaks it!
    Last edited by Spinal; 04-11-2017 at 04:35 PM.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Ah, I actually forgot about the fact only one person speaks Japanese, but yeah, I found that to be a pretty odd choice too.

Also weird, that the title is shown twice during the opening credits. Surely that had to be a flub. o.O

I will bet you money that they tried to get Takeshi Kitano to speak English and he said, "Nah," and they relented.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Maybe all the other characters were able to see the words popping up around his face, just like we were. In the future, all Japanese people are installed with English subtitles at birth. DYSTOPIA!
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Speaking of, I tried the Google Translate AR app for the first time the other day. Bought a Japanese brand of hotcake mix and all the instructions and measurements on the packet was in Japanese. So I just hovered my phone over it, and voila, the packaging turned into English. So cool.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Wow that rules. I will no longer be swayed by the unreadable Indonesian foods at my local surplus store.

I've been using it for years. It keeps getting better.

I'm just gonna say that I had more fun catching all the shout-outs to the movies and SAC than watching the movie itself.

And this Motoko is not Motoko, at all (and I'm not saying it for ScarJo, would've been the same with any other actress).

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    I'm just gonna say that I had more fun catching all the shout-outs to the movies and SAC than watching the movie itself.
    This is kind of how I felt watching this.

I also was a little bit unimpressed with how sloppy Major was. She get's injured too much in this. Way too many scenes ripped straight from the anime. The opening, the fight in the shallow water and the showdown against the Spider-Tank.

Mild yay I suppose.
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 07-23-2017 at 08:12 PM.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    This round-table discussion with four Japanese-American actresses is a really good read. They discuss their reactions to the film with insight and humor.
    Quote Quoting Keiko Agena
    Where was the shame in this movie?! There should have been a lot more shame.
    That about sums it up!

I finally watched this, and, yeah... I fully regretted it. What an abysmal waste of time. There's tone deaf, and then there's the plot of this remake. Yikes.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Oh, didn't I get around to posting my thoughts on this? Here we go.

First off, I would like to look at the film purely from a surface level. It looks pretty. It pays a lot of homage to visuals from the original. It has a really slick look that I was fairly impressed with. Okay, positives done.

Negatives. Going down just one layer below surface, the complete reversal of the philosophy of the plot was shocking. It was as though the writers only ever watched the original film on mute and never understood or maybe even heard the dialogue and conversations that drove the Major's motivations. More than enough to give it a thumbs down as a remake. They removed all depth of the characters and made a brain dead actiony thing that I don't even remember the plot of at this point.

The next level of criticism would be to address the whitewashing, which somehow was even more despicable (if thats even possible) because of the extreme plot reversal. On the surface it was obviously a bad choice, but gutting the character and whitewashing it just...ugh...just wow. What the fuck were they thinking?? I say this all the time with these kinds of things, but how hard is it just follow the blueprint you already know works? Okay, you did for a couple action scenes, but why on earth would you turn the plot inverted like that? Maybe one day studio execs will learn.

Until then, expect more DragonBall: Evolutions and Japanese Ghosts in White Shells. Please Lord, let them get over their stubbornness before they attempt an Akira.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Japanese Ghosts in White Shells
    ayy
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12