Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks (Season 3)

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    Kyle MacLachlan is winning all the awards, right? His performance here is my favorite thing ever.
    My understanding is that the show won't be eligible for awards until next year's ceremony, so don't be surprised in a couple weeks if nothing from Twin Peaks is mentioned in the nominations.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Robert Broski's IMDb credits:

1. Trip to the Moon: Retrograde (2018) (filming) .... Abraham Lincoln
    2. Trip to the Moon (2017) (filming) .... Abraham Lincoln
    3. Rumspringa (2017) (post-production) .... Grandpa Amos
    4. "Twin Peaks" (completed) .... Woodsman (1 episode, 2017)
    - Part 8 (2017) TV episode .... Woodsman
    5. U.S. Grant: American Warrior (2017) (TV) .... President Lincoln
    6. Pee-wee's Big Holiday (2016) .... Abraham Lincoln
    7. "Wigs" (2014) TV series .... Abe (unknown episodes)
    8. "The Haunted Hathaways" .... Abraham Lincoln (1 episode, 2014)
    - Mostly Ghostly Girl: Part 1 (2014) TV episode .... Abraham Lincoln
    9. Linclone (2014) .... Abraham Linclone
    10. Therapy (2013/I) .... Abe
    11. Grace Bedell (2010) .... Abraham Lincoln
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Robert Broski's IMDb credits:

Abraham Lincoln
    ...and when viewed in light of the innocent little girl finding the heads-up penny and declaring it to be good luck, Broski's subsequent appearance (and the fact that she turned out to be the final/ultimate victim), is even creepier than originally thought.

Lynch is a genius.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

I didn't say anything specific about the first two episodes, but whew, that glass box subplot. You know the scene. I haven't been that scared in a long time. I think I literally stopped breathing for a minute. And then when the plot threads dovetail at the end in the most unexpected way... that's what I love about Lynch right there. I'm hanging off every frame of this thing.

(We all assume the creature that appeared is the "Mother" from the weird purple room, right?)

Anyways, I watched the fifth episode the other day. Ernie Hudson in my Twin Peaks, oh my god yes. And Coop's "FBI intuition" kicking back in for that one scene was great. It's great watching the character slowly reboot, like an old computer recovering after a system crash.

I loved the fake out here with the Bang Bang Bar ending. I thought that was it, but then nope, there's actually a scene in the bar again. And then it keeps going. That "Mr. Strawberry" scene was incredible. And then the closing credits, wow. That was the best closer so far. Returning to Coop still standing at the statue, the music cue, the credit roll... it was immediately funny but then slowly very sad. This is the first episode where the humor of the Dougie scenes really started to crack, and the tragedy of the subplot began seeping in more and more. Leave it to Lynch to wring out so many varied and conflicting emotions in a single plot thread, even in a single (credit!) scene.

I'll try to watch more tomorrow. Holiday weekend, though, so I might not get caught up until next week.

I've been thinking a lot about Lynch's use of pacing (in collaboration with his editor). I greatly admire how willing he is to allow us to live in a moment without rushing it or providing extra filler. Everything is super-concentrated, distilled down to the essential. Often we are left in a state of unknowing, and sadly, I think this is where some viewers get impatient and declare that 'nothing is happening'. Banging on a metal door. Scribbles on case files. Methodical sweeping of the floor. [...] Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I think Lynch has made me realize that a lot of entertainment has trained its viewers to expect a constant stream of easily accessible information. I think of Aaron Sorkin, for example. And so often that information is of little consequence or doesn't stimulate much inner change because we haven't been asked to go on any sort of journey to attain it.
    I can see that, especially the bolded. I actually had a weird moment recently where I was reading some reactions to the new season on a discussion forum, and a lot of people were complaining that it was slow and nothing was happening (and a lot of people were upset that Coop was weird and just wanted the old character back, no surprise there I guess) and it blew my mind a little because it never occurred to me that the pacing in this new season was slow. I suppose I'm more accustomed to art cinema than "peak TV" or maybe I just drink the kool-aid a little too much with Lynch (that's probably true). Somebody was talking about doing fan edits and cutting down a bunch of the Dougie material and I almost went into convulsions at the thought. I hope the whole season is Coop as Dougie, just to piss that person off.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

I think it's utterly bizarre to think that Cooper would sit 25 years in the Black Lodge and then immediately be back to his old self. I mean, how dull would that be?
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Robert Broski is a seemingly awesome guy.

How does it feel to have played such a central part in this nuclear hellfire exploration of light and darkness?

Oh, it's a crack-up. I mean, this is memorable. It's obviously going to be with me for the rest of my life. For the rest of my life, I think people are going to come up to me and ask: "Got a light?" That's going to be the new "where's the beef," from thirty years ago.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Hey Spinal, did you know that Carlton Lee Russell ("Jumping Man" from FWWM) is listed in the credits for this season?

This dude freaks me out!
    Last edited by Russ; 07-01-2017 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Hey Spinal, did you know that Carlton Lee Russell ("Jumping Man" from FWWM) is listed in the credits for this season?
    Excellent! Hope he's kept those knees in shape.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I've seen episodes 6 & 7 now. Something else I forgot to mention about the premiere was the random pan across the jail cells to the mysterious figure (the charcoal hobo, as some are calling him) just sitting there and staring, then vanishing. It felt like one of the more random wtf moments of the series so far and had no context or follow up... until episode 7. That scene in the hallway nearly gave me a panic attack. That was some Mulholland Dr. don't look behind the dumpster shit right there. Threads really feel like they're starting to converge now in episode 7 and there's some weird fucking shit still happening in the margins. This whole Briggs subplot is intense.

Also, SQUEEZE HIS HAND OFF. I was genuinely concerned about Cooper in these episodes (Wake up! Don't die!).

This week was a little light on forward progression, and therefore a little bit frustrating.
    [
    ]
    Indeed. A character reveal 25 years in the making! I screamed when Laura Dern appeared. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

The second theme, special to this series, is the theme of aging and time.
    Good thoughts re: Cooper.

But the part that hit me the hardest here, surprisingly, was Carl. I never expected to see him again, but his scenes in episode 6 are among my favorites now so far this season, and a big part of that is because it directly confronts the fact that Harry Dean Stanton is 91(!). Carl's weariness with the trailer park, and Mickey telling him he still has some tread left, put a lump in my throat. I was fighting back tears when Carl was just sitting on a bench, staring up at the trees.

Also, I'm not sure what to make of the ensuing car accident - Lynch's directing on that was really weird - but it at least confirms a popular theory from FWWM ("I've been places.").
    All around, I'm really happy we got to see Carl again.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Spinal, excellent episode, but you forgot to mention the dude sweeping the floor of The Bang Bang Bar while Booker T & the MGs' Green Onions played in the background.

For 5 minutes.

And it was my favorite scene. I love David Lynch.
    I kept thinking the credits were going to start rolling. It would have been a funny variation on the usual Roadhouse endings. Great scene, either way.
    (The phone call was also amusing. I guess you can't teach an old Renault new tricks.)

Anyways, one more episode and then I'm caught up!

Lynch is my favorite director but have not been watching this - no TV! Can't wait for this to come out on DVDs!

Gordon trying to bum a smoke off of Diane was freaking hilarious. Also loved Jerry's continued freak-out. Good episode. No real mind blowers, but nice forward progression. Great to see a couple new famous faces join the cast. Boy, Matthew Lillard is not a great actor.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Producer
    In a show full of gruesome murders, vomiting strange fluids, and bugs entering bodies, somehow the armpit rash and that scratching noise just bother me almost as much. Ugh.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Boy, Matthew Lillard is not a great actor.
    Huh? I think he did great. Lynch scripts are usually challenging for actors who are forced to act in a very unnatural way at times.

And yeah, agreed, the armpit rash was fucking gross.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Huh? I think he did great. Lynch scripts are usually challenging for actors who are forced to act in a very unnatural way at times.

And yeah, agreed, the armpit rash was fucking gross.
    It's not that it's unnatural. It's that he plays the same beat throughout his entire scene. No depth.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Seriously though, I think the middle nuclear test section through the giant sequence is pretty easy to interpret if you know the show.
    If you've watched The Missing Pieces, it makes a shocking amount of sense. This episode feels like a visualization of what The Man From Another Place describes in the meeting Philip Jefferies witnesses above the convenience store:

"From pure air.
    We have descended... from pure air.
    Going up and down.
    Intercourse between two worlds."

Also, electricity (or energy, in general) continues to be the key. Lynch dropping (atomic) bombs.

The only thing that confused me was Laura Palmer being a dragon ball. I have no idea where Lynch is going with that or how I should interpret it (associating the supernatural with Laura like that seems unnecessary, and also makes the origins of Bob as articulated in the original show a little baffling, since the Black Lodge has possibly existed since the beginning of time, and Leland had known about Bob as a kid; but of course we're barely half way through the show so we'll have to see where all of this goes).

Also, if the 1940's segment is Lynch doing 2001: A Space Odyssey, the 1950's segment is Lynch doing [REC]2. The best thing I can say right now is that I never have any fucking idea where this is going. Lynch and Frost continue to surprise and amaze and entertain.

One other thing I stumbled upon tonight while reading Episode 8 reactions is this fun little bit from 4chan:

I'm having so much fucking fun with this season.

Kyle MacLachlan continues to impress.

I also thought Rebekah Del Rio's song was great, and the episode outstanding. I'm starting to think Lynch embraces bad acting.

And how can you not love the Candie triplets?

Absolutely loved Del Rio's song, even as I was hoping Lynch would squeeze one more scene in before the end.

I'm really perplexed and bothered by whatever is going on with Diane. I realize I'm supposed to be, but I just can't sort out what's happened with her in the past couple episodes.

We're getting tantalizingly closer and closer to Audrey.

Between the violence done to Sylvia Horne, Becky and Miriam, this was not a particularly fun episode to watch.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Looks like someone hacked Herman Cain's website with screen grabs from Twin Peaks. It's hilarious. See it quick before it's taken down.

Eh, this episode has a lot of content in comparison to others, but it's not one of my favorites. A lot of it felt like filler or red herrings. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

Final song was great, though. Pure Lynch.

Producer
    Naomi Watts posted one of her conversations with David Lynch on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWwc9w4hfJJ

(Put in spoiler for size)

[]
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Lynch, to himself: *shakes head* fucking method actors...
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

It's kind of like a Lynch script.

1) Dorky humor
    2) Moment of calm serenity
    3) FUCK YOU, BITCH!
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I'm all caught up.

I'm with Grouchy a bit as these last couple episodes didn't grab me as much. 10 in particular felt weird at first, as it hit so many of the different plots, sometimes only sticking around for like a minute at a time (i.e. Jerry freaking out in the woods). There's a lot of plot flying around here. I think part of it is that I'm feeling restless now after Part 8. That episode was my jam. I actually jumped straight into 9 afterwards because I was hungry for more, but it was just... plot (the episode mostly just confirmed a lot of things we could already infer) and I honestly remembered nothing afterwards because I couldn't stop thinking about mushroom clouds and frog moths. Watched it again, though, finally, and followed it up with 10. One thing I liked about 10 was how it kinda felt like an episode of Mulholland Drive from a timeline where that show existed, with the casino thugs plot and Candy and the bunnies and even the Club Silencio singer at the end.

These seem to suffer from being middle episodes, and I imagine would play a lot better in a larger context, but as individual episodes I did find them a little unsatisfying. Plenty of amazing moments throughout, however, especially with Dougie, who continues to be the highlight of this entire season. I couldn't stop laughing when he was staring at the American flag in Part 9. The last scene with the Log Lady in 10 was a surprise, as well, and deliciously foreboding.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast