Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks (Season 3)

Producer
    Season 2 finale is one of my favorite episodes of all time. And although I really, really like this finale as well, there's a feeling of deliberateness to its admirably stubborn irresolvability that makes it comes off a tad manufactured, not as spontaneous and darkly free-falling as that one (last five minutes or so come a bit close). Episode 17 is one of my favorite of the season though; the Laura stuff destroyed me.
    Last edited by Peng; 09-04-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    Also no wonder Sherilyn Fenn was so angry for a bit there before season 3 lol. Same, Audrey.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Haha. Lynch turned Twin Peaks into Inland Empire by way of Lost Highway.

Which means I loved it, even though there's much I still need to process.

Part 18, where [
    ]

It was magnificent.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

According to the New York Times, the woman who answered the door at the Palmer house was played by the actual current owner of the property.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

My reaction to 17:

My reaction to 18:

I feel physically sick, no joke. Is this what watching the finale of S2 back in '91 felt like? I felt the episode was pretty great, Cooper on his quest, following the clues, and then the long ride back to Twin Peaks... during that ride back I was thinking, wow, conceptually this is a brilliant conclusion, the final return, but then I happened to see the time and realized that only five minutes were left and it just started hitting me in waves. I knew where it was going. The door to the house opened and my heart sank. It's exactly like Melville was saying, the reality of Laura's abuse and the incomprehensibility of Cooper's quest. I guess that was the story of the whole season and this revival in general. You can't go home again. Cooper and Laura just standing there in the street at the end was agony. I felt my soul getting torn in half. I still feel sick and it has been a couple hours now since I've seen it. This shit completely fucked me up.

Game over. Judy wins.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

I know what you mean. Haunting doesn't seem like a big enough word to describe it.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I think it's just as interesting to look at the questions that were not definitively resolved as it is the ones that were:
    Who is Naido? Diane
    What happened to Billy and why does it matter? Don't know
    Is Audrey stuck inside some kind of existential limbo or what? Something like that, but no explicit answer
    Was Sarah Palmer that girl who had the creepy bug walk into her mouth? Possibly? But no explicit answer
    What was making all that noise in Sarah Palmer's house when Hawk showed up? Don't know
    How did that ring get in Major Briggs' stomach? Don't know, perhaps the most fascinating unsolved mystery
    What the hell is going on with Diane? Tulpa Fever
    What's up with that mysterious sound at the Great Northern? It was MIKE/a portal to another dimension
    What does it mean that Laura Palmer is "The One"? No explicit answer, but lots of information from which to formulate a theory
    What is the Experiment? Don't know
    Does Janey-E know more than she lets on? No, she was just who she appeared to be
    Why does Cooper need to remember Richard and Linda? In case he wakes up alone in a seedy motel room in another dimension
    What is the one-gloved man's destiny? To punch a menacing BOB nugget

EDIT: Also, who was it that called Dark Cooper on the phone claiming to be Phillip Jeffries? Don't know
    As for Audrey, I've seen some complex theories, but for me, the simplest explanation works best. She was in a coma for 25 years, including her pregnancy. The initial scenes we see are her unconscious visions as she struggles to wake up. Her final moment is the shock of waking up to realize she's slept through 25 years of her life.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I want a special Emmy to be created solely for Sheryl Lee's screams.

It's also good to know that, if you were making a series and David Bowie was going to play a part but died, you can always replace him with a steaming kettle.

I'm sorry I have nothing to offer but puns but I'm still flabbergasted, to be honest. The first half's ending was very emotional for me while the final episode was flat out disturbing.

David Lynch: not here to answer your goddamn questions.

THE ART LIFE, MOTHERFUCKER.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    David Lynch: not here to answer your goddamn questions.

THE ART LIFE, MOTHERFUCKER.
    Yep! All the while I was watching the ending approaching, I was thinking to myself, "This is the guy who was forced to reveal Laura Palmer's killer when he didn't want to. And he was still stewing about it years later. There is no way in hell he's going to give us a tidy resolution."
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

It's been really wonderful to see how many writers have rightfully acknowledged the series as a landmark and the ending, in particular, as a master stroke. What other show can inspire quotes like this?:

"It stopped feeling like a TV show to me, at some point, and started feeling like a gift." - Vox

"The series is one of the great recent cinematic achievements; its ideas are profound; its effect is enduring ..." - The New Yorker

"We can start writing our think pieces now, and I’ll see you again in 25 years, when we still haven’t talked it all out yet." - The AV Club

"We might not want every show to feature evil doppelgangers, talking kettles and sentient tree-blobs, but it's a wonderful thing that at least one does." - The Sydney Morning Herald

"In the end, it felt like a triumph. This season was a show unlike anything else on television, even its old self." - The Irish Times

"Lynch and Mark Frost never let an episode pass without a scene that rendered me dumbfounded at its ambition." - The Atlantic

"'I tried to catch up on it while I was doing some other stuff,' a friend recently told me of the new Twin Peaks. 'That’s what I do with most TV. It did not work.'" - Slate

"Strangely, it’s almost a relief to encounter a show so steeped in darkness that it renders the fears of our common present more manageable." - The Verge

"[It] will likely hold an important place in the history of the development of television." - HuffPost UK
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

What is the Experiment? Don't know
    According to the Twin Peaks wiki, The Experiment [
    ]
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    According to the Twin Peaks wiki, The Experiment [
    ]
    If you'll indulge me as I post yet another article, this breakdown of the identity of evil in the new series is quite eye-opening. I can't believe how much I am still learning about this show.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    So I wrote an article about the last two episodes. People are going nuts for it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/c...e_meant_to_be/
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    So I wrote an article about the last two episodes. People are going nuts for it:

Interesting theory - have not had a chance to see the series yet. Even if this is not really deliberate has something like this been done before?

I was reading this 2006 interview with David Lynch and was struck by a quote on the nature of evil. The context of the quote is really about Inland Empire. However, it inspired me to create this ...

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Now that I've seen The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, the connection to Twin Peaks is abundantly clear. However, I'm still not sure why the evolution of The Arm would be referencing a Jodie Foster movie from the 70s. He seems like more of a Burt Reynolds kind of guy.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Interesting theory - have not had a chance to see the series yet. Even if this is not really deliberate has something like this been done before?
    Well, the little community of folks I'm in do this kind of thing all the time, but the closest thing that's gained any mainstream traction would be John Fell Ryan's experiments with overlaying The Shining so that the film plays backwards on top of the film playing forwards (as shown in the documentary Room 237).

I was interviewed on this podcast about my article/theory btw, if anyone's interested: http://enterthevoid.fm/post/165875885452/twin-peaks-iii
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Looks like the DVDs are coming out on Dec 5.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Finally caught up with everything in the series after having started a protracted re-watch in late May that was essential since I never finished the second season (unintentionally fell away with it years ago around the obvious point) or had seen Fire Walk With Me as a result.

I'm now finished Episode 16, and without reading the posts that came after the finale, I just wanted to pop into say I really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and enthusiasm for it in here as I went along (cautiously reading every time-stamp). Nothing much more to add just yet that hasn't already largely been covered, other than I've found watching these episodes, especially so close together, a pretty fucking phenomenal experience.

I've always loved the universe of the series, and that even in the weaker stretches of its original incarnation it's more interesting than most things ever put on TV, but I think this season is it reaching a potential of it as a creation I never considered, and that's just blown me away. Obviously having Lynch & Frost so intimately involved every step of the way is essential, but there's also new avenues of themes, character evolution, universe expansion, visual and mythological elements, and entirely new emotions to come out of it as a result that all amount to a profoundly moving and beautifully confounding experience unlike any I've probably ever seen.

It feels like an unfiltered broadcast of a dream belonging to one of the greatest cinematic minds ever, somehow actualized as something of an 18-hour experimental film doled out on cable TV over the course of a summer. One of those cases where the fact that it even exists is a miracle, but also the even rarer occasion where there's even more wonder to extract from it even after getting over that.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Oh I finished it the day or so after my last post, and yeah, I still think about it daily.

Is it possible to still be collecting my thoughts? Equally wanting the story to end exactly there forever, but being tantalized by the prospect of it going further? Thinking that after everything the universe of this show has put us through, somehow leaving us in a dual place..

Also I love this:

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)

I can't believe it isn't intentional, especially in the way the same screams echo out of the house to reach her ears to scream. But then again, it feels perfectly in line with the sort of free-flowing, instinctual presentation Lynch & Frost have created here that makes it seem like it probably just felt right to calibrate the two episodes (and especially the ending) that way, even if it wasn't deliberate.

But with those two finales (as I'll call them to better make my point), the idea that everything has essentially been severed, that Cooper is left with both possibilities, both of them removing the murder, but neither of them truly restoring Laura to her own life, as if there could truly be any resolution to that over 25 years on, is so heartbreaking and poignant, but also weirdly comforting and the closest thing to a happy ending this series could possibly offer? If he can save her from her fate, but he can't rid her from her demons if he's the one guiding her away from it, since it's his very inclusion in her story that restores the fact that she is gone.

My initial thought was that we'd never hear Laura's final whisper is to Cooper in the Lodge, but another part of me feels like we saw it instead.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Just finished The Final Dossier, and in case you were wondering, it is ESSENTIAL reading. Holy smokes!
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Just finished The Final Dossier, and in case you were wondering, it is ESSENTIAL reading. Holy smokes!
    And I've actually heard this from several people.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

I will say that it clarified at least one character's journey and it turns out I was flat-out wrong.

[]
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Interesting tidbit buried in this interview with Lynch: all of the bands in the Roadhouse were shot in one day.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast