Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks (Season 3)

Twin Peaks (Season 3)

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Big Ed!! Anyhow, I need to finish off season 2 which isn't going down especially smooth.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Producer
    This feels like the invert ratio of the original series' Lynchian horror/Black Lodge to small town stuff. Awesome in a frequent 'what was that???' sense. But I hope there are still sequences like that Chromatics song in The Bang Bang Bar to ground every other episode or so.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

The first four episodes have all ended with a different indie act performing at The Bang Bang Bar over the cast credits.

Oh, and Michael Cera: you so silly.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Not sure I'll stick through another episode. Just felt like a Lynch short from his Criterions. Cool and all, but don't think six more episodes will be worth the time.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Not sure I'll stick through another episode. Just felt like a Lynch short from his Criterions. Cool and all, but don't think six more episodes will be worth the time.
    I think you mean 12
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    I think you mean 12
    Oof.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I think I meant 14!

HELLOOOOO
    Last edited by Milky Joe; 05-23-2017 at 08:03 AM.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Three episodes in and loving it. It's so great to have new material from Lynch and it's deeply affecting to see these characters again. The Catherine Coulson scenes were brutally sad. I enjoy the fact that much of the focus has been on drawing out the supernatural elements. Garmonbozia sighting!
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

So little discussion of Lynch's return to filmmaking?

Overall, I'm digging it. I'm more psyched about the next 14 episodes than I have been about anything else in recent memory. It promises to be unique and interesting if nothing else.

The major negative so far has been the absence of an emotional core. In Lynch's other work, most everything is ultimately tied to primal experiences and emotions: parenthood, sexuality, abuse, infidelity, love, jealousy, and the conflict between the real and the yearned-for ideal. And it typically has a strong dose of sentimentality. Here there's nothing like the grieving over Laura or the trauma of her abuse to give the events significance.

I thought the 2-part opener suffered from this the most. It felt a lot like the conspiracy/hitman/detective B story from Mulholland Drive, but extended to two hours and devoid of context. It's a lot of seemingly disconnected scenes pointing at some dark, incomprehensible workings hidden from our everyday view. But in Mulholland Drive, those scenes were meaningful because of how they fit into the psychological architecture of the story. Here, while the individual scenes are compellingly off-kilter, especially the New York stuff, they feel like they're really missing some emotional context or a somewhat ordinary world to contrast with.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I enjoy the fact that much of the focus has been on drawing out the supernatural elements.
    This is actually another negative for me. I'm not so keen on how concrete it's making the mystical aspects. Lynch's surreal or fantastical elements typically work on an amorphous, highly nonliteral yet not strictly metaphorical level. They're a means of powerfully expressing elements of reality and personal experience in novel ways. In much of the original Twin Peaks, and especially in Fire Walk with Me, all the black lodge stuff, the darkness in the woods, felt like a way to get at things about Laura's abuse, "personal demons", and the ineffable things that haunt everyday, pleasant society. The more it becomes literalized demons and dopplegangers, the less compelling I find it. So far this season has felt too much like that, maybe because, again, it's not being tied to anything else.

But on the other hand, most of the individual scenes work wonderfully in a typically Lynchian way, careening between off-kilter humor and grotesque terror. Things like Cera, Dougie, and Mr Jackpot were all great. And I'm optimistic that the rest of the season will provide the context and emotional resonance to give the early episodes more meaning. The concluding moments of the opener, back in the roadhouse, and the musical endings of the next two episodes, make me think the season is going to have one large, fairly intricate structure, and the earlier episodes will be best judged as part of the whole.
    Last edited by Melville; 05-24-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Producer
    Now that I've seen all available ones: first two are disorientingly great and moody, the third up there among with the best of the series (and I thought season 2 finale was 'heartstopping'... in first 15 or so minutes I was resisting urge to watch this episode through my fingers), the fourth suffers a little in trying to transition into a more normal 'Twin Peaks' episodes after previous three's supreme discordance, but Kyle Maclachlan is so great I could have watched him forever. Think his 'Good Cooper' performance is modeled after E.T. a bit?
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I hear what you are saying, Melville. I think your criticisms are valid.

Part of the issue is that the center of the story has shifted to Agent Cooper, who, even in full possession of his faculties, is more aloof and less emotionally driven.

However, I think the show's emotional center right now is happening around the topic of aging and time. This may be more of a meta experience, akin to watching the Up Documentaries, but there is something truly extraordinary to me about the fact that Lynch called his shot 25 years ago (subconsciously or however you want to frame it) and has now created a continuation of a haunting story left in limbo. Agent Cooper has been left in an armchair all that time. In my mind, he has been trapped pondering the mysteries of Laura's death and the associated supernatural evils associated with it -- just as Twin Peaks viewers have been stuck in a kind of limbo, pondering the riddles and clues from the first series. It's a kind of meta experience (apologies for using that tired phrase).

It's an emotional experience for me just to see the various transformations to the actor's faces and bodies. Michael Horse's white hair, Al Strobel's gamey eye, the deterioration of Catherine Coulson, the drooping jowls of Kyle Maclachlan, etc. For me, it was emotional to see a 50-year old Sheryl Lee recreate her Black Lodge conference with Agent Cooper, the same eyes staring out of a different face, an unusual contradiction knowing that the real-life actress is showing us the aged face that the deceased fictional character would never grow to possess. That's cool stuff!

Over the course of the season, the show will have to do more than rely on such moments. But I see plenty of potential for that. We haven't even really gotten into Grace Zabriskie, Madchen Amick, Sherilyn Fenn etc.

Again, apologies. I realize this show makes me a little gushy.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Very interesting take on it. Given the ending of Inland Empire, I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch brought that kind of meta reading into the show more explicitly.

About Sherilyn Fenn, is Audrey going to be [
    ]
    Last edited by Melville; 05-24-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

How are you watching beyond episode 2? That's all I got in my Netflix.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    How are you watching beyond episode 2? That's all I got in my Netflix.
    Hulu
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Awesome. As soon as I get home I'll start looking for a torrent.

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    ]
    Oooooh you're so right.

Oh, man. Interviews with David Lynch are the best.

There’s a very strange new character in the Black Lodge, a talking tree, an evolution of The Man From Another Place, also known as the Arm (Michael J. Anderson, who did not return for the new series).
    Yes. Necessity is the mother of invention.

The head on top — is it a talking brain, pituitary gland, or neuron?
    It’s just a head.

It looks like a brain to me.
    It’s just a head.

Well, you got a great performance out of the tree.
    Thank you.
    Link
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    ]
    I'm thinking Audrey Horne [
    ]

I always knew she couldn't have just been blown to pieces.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9190 mediante Tapatalk

Great episode last night.

[
    ]
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    [
    ]
    Indeed... what a challenge this role must have been for him. He's being forced to do just about everything except be Agent Cooper, and he's nailing it. He was great as the villainous psycho surgeon in Agents of SHIELD, though, so I knew he had that gear in him.

So that was Caleb Landry Jones? Holy crap he is fugly.

This week was a little light on forward progression, and therefore a little bit frustrating.
    [
    ]
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Also ...

[
    ]
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

As always, sleeping on an episode allows things to settle in my mind. I start to appreciate the impressions that linger, as opposed to wondering about the payoffs that I want to see.

The show seems to be about two main things right now. Firstly, continuing the exploration from the original series, is the surreal nature of violence. Where does it originate? Lynch and Frost do not concern themselves with the political or religious motivations that occupy our social media feeds. Working heavily with metaphor and symbolism, they attribute the hate and rage to forces outside of everyday human experience. These forces are supernatural in nature, as opposed to being a part of human psychology. The two violent deaths that occur in episode 6 are different kinds of bad dreams. The car accident shows us bystanders frozen in reflection, powerless to act, mystified by the senselessness of what they have just witnessed. The assassination shows us a ruthlessness that is animalistic and bizarre. Sadly, both of these sensations are all too resonant to our times.

The second theme, special to this series, is the theme of aging and time. Agent Cooper's existential crisis is frustrating for viewers who want to see him back to his old self, waxing poetically about Douglas Firs, etc. However, this is a highly evocative way to express the feelings of getting older, looking back on your old self, and struggling to capture the energy of the person you once were. Why don't words come easier? Why is it a struggle to move the way I once did? What are the core elements that still make me ME?

In a way it's like Lynch's version of Duck Amuck, the old Looney Tune where the animators wondered how much they could mess with an iconic character and still have you recognize who he is. What are the necessary elements to create an Agent Cooper ... coffee, intuition, badge? And of course, this leaves Lynch and Frost on the sidelines, proclaiming, like Bugs Bunny did, "Ain't I a stinker?"
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast