Thread: Wrote a big fat essay on "Scream," its meta-ness and humanism and attitudes on sex.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

Wrote a big fat essay on "Scream," its meta-ness and humanism and attitudes on sex.

That's right, and you can read it right here:

(Or if you don't wanna click through, I'll spoiler it here:[
    ])

If you're still hungry for more juicy words on horror classics, I've also written on...

Pulse and Depression
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Noir
    The Fly and Unity of Story

- - - - -
    Were you looking for feedback on the essay, a conversation about the film, or just giving everyone a head's up?

(Interesting essay. I liked the bit about Curtis and "Momma's Boys," something I hadn't noticed before.)

I remember when Scream 4 came out, and it tried so hard to be clever, that it was kind of eye-roll worthy. Scream, clever as it was, still remained a pretty effective scary movie at the same time.

Since then, there's a lot of change in horror movies now. I wonder if 2000+ age would even like it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I don't recall a lot of the tropes you're mentioning which is making me want to go back and rewatch this.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Were you looking for feedback on the essay, a conversation about the film, or just giving everyone a head's up?

(Interesting essay. I liked the bit about Curtis and "Momma's Boys," something I hadn't noticed before.)
    More a heads-up; discussion obviously welcome.

Wes Craven definitely points out a lot in his commentary in the movie. It was one of the first commentaries I ever saw about a movie (on Laserdisc no less).

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Pretty cool article. I've always been a fan of Scream, but you pointed out a lot of things that I would never have seen on my own, and which actually makes me appreciate the movie a whole lot more. That's typically my favorite form of film analysis, when someone just really points out all the fine details that are hidden in there that really elevate the hidden meanings behind the movie. Good stuff here, keep sharing these as you write up more.