Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
I mean, you just compared a shot for shot remake of a foreign film to Hollywood film. This is a completely different medium. You would think the latter that would be more interesting no? Basically don't agree with anything you've posted here. You're arguments against BatB should remain in every other shot for shot remake you've ever seen (doesn't have anything new to say, no expression to share, only exists for a cash grab etc etc). I don't agree that Let Me In is soooooo radically different that it tells a completely different emotion. It doesn't. So stop that now.
Bro, what? I honestly don't understand your rationale behind a single thing you said here. Why is it not fair to compare a remake from a foreign film to an American film? How are they different mediums? And how do the two versions in the example I provided not evoke different emotions? Have you seen the two versions? The differences that exist between the two are, in fact, pretty radical from one another, and as such have evoked radically different emotional responses, not just from me, but from most people who have shared their thoughts on the two films, from what I've seen.

Also, have you never heard of the phrase "exception to the rule"? Because those, too, very much exist, and I merely provided an example as such, based on your request. Why are you being so belligerently antagonistic about my response? A movie isn't allowed to make me feel a certain way just because another example of a set of movies didn't evoke the same sorts of reactions? How the fuck can you even begin to rationalize that?

As for the argument that my opinions on BatB should also apply to other remakes, it honestly doesn't even feel like you're even reading my posts. My issues with the movie have more to do with its execution than anything else. I didn't think it was well executed, and went fully in depth on those thoughts on the very first post in this thread. All of those thoughts pertain solely to BatB, and don't apply to any other movie but BatB. So, again, why should my thoughts on this being a poor remake apply to other movies that are shot-for-shot remakes?

By your logic, you should never enjoy Let Me In or any other foreign to Hollywood adaptation. If that's how you feel fine. But don't be disingenuous.
Again, what? I'm not being disingenuous. Quite the opposite, in fact. Most times I do feel that these sorts of remakes are unnecessary, and usually mention so as such. But on the rare occasion when the remake works, I acknowledge that as well. You asked me to provide an example of it, and I did. I'm sorry if you don't like my response, but I assure, it is not a disingenuous one.

To answer your second question- Logan is NOT a fun movie to watch. It's bleek, depressing, unenjoyably, un-rewatchable. There's no payoff. I dont want my comicbook movies to be like this. Deadpool was funny and fun and still rated R. Logan is like the Road with Wolverine. It's lazy because they dumbed down the source material into a chase movie with a very very simple plot. Who knew that was all you need to do to satisfy fans? (remove most of the source material) But that was the way they could keep the budget low, in an R-rated format.
I mean, if that's how you feel about the movie, fair, but I 100% disagree with your assessment of the film. I'm not gonna defend it here, as I've gone in length on my thoughts in the Logan thread, but yeah, again, not really seeing this, nor do I really see why you've dragged this movie into the discussion, other than to lament that the forum has all latched onto an almost universally liked movie and didn't think too kindly of the polarizing movie in question, which you just happened to like.

It's okay to like movies that other people don't. I like shitloads of movies that lots of people don't. There's nothing wrong with that. But don't go accusing others of not being genuine with their thoughts just because they don't line up with yours. That's pretty disappointing to read, because I've been nothing but honest with you.