Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 7)

Were any of Melisandre's prophecies true?

Beric Dondarrion's prophecy seems to be well on its way to being true.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Were any of Melisandre's prophecies true?
    She looked at Arya and saw different eyes staring back at her. She then predicted Arya would shut those eyes forever. I don't know that that's a prophecy, per se. More like fortune telling.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    A little bit of a deus ex machina ending for this episode.... not sure how I feel about a character we haven't seen in 5 seasons to show up randomly to save a character.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    A little bit of a deus ex machina ending for this episode.... not sure how I feel about a character we haven't seen in 5 seasons to show up randomly to save a character.
    Then you should have been bringing this up last season, because Uncle Benjen showed up out of nowhere to save Bran.

Games of Thrones has been filled with deus ex machinas. You have to kinda roll with it.

At least we now know for sure there will be a Clegane Bowl next season.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yeah, as much as I hate to say this series now does seemingly now require more suspension of disbelief than ever before (in terms of its own world rules and logic), there were so many wild things that happened in this episode that the sheer stellar scale of the events unfolding as marvelously as they clouded any of that kind of judgement with awe and excitement in the best way for me.

And episode like this is essentially the sort of thing I dreamed about the show becoming in its earliest days, but somewhat doubted it would able to.

So happy to have the hopeful side materialize.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Goddamit this Arya/Sansa shit better be like a triple-blind double-bluff or something, cause I wanna slap both of them.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Producer
    Never have I feel this conflicted in the show for the disparity between BIG EXCITING DEVELOPMENT and the rather clumsy and lackluster execution; always when the show has big, momentous events to depict it knocks them out of the park. This season may prove to be too short for the story scale and character bits they want to portray.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I'm sure they intended to write the battle in a way that made sense, but boy, once the ice froze over again, I understood very little of the physical logic of what was happening.

They've done the big setpiece battles really well over the last few seasons, but this one felt kind of clumsy and it made it difficult to suspend disbelief for any length. The multiple just-in-time saviors did not help.

On he positive, the setup with the polar bear and payoff of the final shot was really well-done. Made the episode for me.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Where the hell did the White Walkers get the chains?

Why didn't the Night King just throw a spear at every man sitting on that island for 24 hours straight?
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Why didn't the vastly outnumbered heroes just get smooshed to death by wights cramming in on them from all sides all at once?
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Why didn't the Night King just throw the second spear at the sitting-duck dragon instantly while everyone was gawking at the falling/fallen dragon?

--Homer

Why didn't Jon just ask Danny to drive one of her dragons high above the Night King's army? Seemed like it was a 10 minute flight to get over the wall.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yeah, I have to concur here. This episode broke the record for the most times I yelled "Why the fuck---?" at Game of Thrones.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

There was a pretty great analogy on Reddit a couple of weeks ago that this show is like a tabletop RPG session where you start out enjoying all the details and worldbuilding and exploring, but now it's getting late and you're out of snacks and just wanna go home but you gotta finish this campaign so everyone's just rushing through their rolls and excusing a lot of shortcuts just to get it done.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

No wonder there are so many continuity issues, this episode was directed by Alan Taylor.

Producer
    ...who directed "Baelor" (and the also excellent season 1 finale), and many of season 2 episodes? Unless you're saying he's been gone so long that his direction doesn't jibe with how it's been now.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    ...who directed "Baelor" (and the also excellent season 1 finale), and many of season 2 episodes? Unless you're saying he's been gone so long that his direction doesn't jibe with how it's been now.
    Those seasons had a very precise outline.

This season is a departure from that and it's a result of what happens when you need to tie things together so quickly.

Eh, don't overestimate a director's input on a tv show.
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    Yeahhhhh, my problems (and many others' stated here as well) aren't much about the action or spectacle, more about plot points and larger logics stuff, which are on D&D, who also writes this episode.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

- - - - -
    The real question isn't why didn't Dany just fly up there before, or where the hell Benjen came from, or how the walkers got those chains, or why the Night King had to touch the dragon to raise it (he didn't have to do that before).

The real question is who designs Dany's outfits? How many does she have? Because she was pretty goddamn at the ready with that super-chic winter coat (with matching gloves!).

I can't wait to see the knockoff attempts at that bitchin coat. They are gonna be Cake Wrecks hilarious.

--Homer

-While I enjoyed the battle, this might be the first one that wasn't completely jawdropping to me, until the javelin throw.

-Question all you want, I almost feel like this is exactly what the Night King was waiting for. They must've known of the existence of the dragons. They weren't going after the Seven. They wanted the damn dragon. And now they have exactly what they need to take out the wall. By the way, what color flame will the Ice Dragon be?

-I'll forever nerd out anytime a sword goes on fire.

-Chains? I suppose they can be collected from over the many years of taking down villages. Would've been cooler if they used the wights in some form.

-Arya sure went full-psycho. A little over the top on her end.

-Neat to see Littlefinger's plan all move along without any type of exposition on his end.

-Benjen, Bran, Arya, and Sansa are forever messed up.

-Kind of neat not knowing any tactic that King's Landing has lined up.

-Another year of predicting Cleganebowl and the wall coming down to end the season.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast