Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

32 91.43%
  • Nay

3 8.57%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Logan (James Mangold)

Just rewatched Days of Future Past for the first time since theaters yesterday, and holy shit is that ending so fucking tragic now with Logan as context for what comes next. Jesus.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    That music too. I remember the music being sublime.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    great essay.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    great essay.
    Yes. I think even Irish would like it.

- - - - -
    I like the production values of those sorts of videos, but I'm not much a fan of the content.

They are always rudimentary as hell, and usually involves the creator assigning half-assed labels to well-known concepts. (The guy above liberally cites screenwriting books which are retreads of everything from Aristotle to Field to McKee.)

I'm not sure this dude realizes his most startling insight is that both movies rigidly adhere to modern convention. That's both not-so-insightful and not worth any particular praise.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    This was good, but I don't know if I can jump on the Love Boat with the rest of y'all. Yes, it's one of the best of this saga, maybe even the best, but I'm not wild on the franchise, but the acting was uniformly excellent, and I liked every time it subverted comic book tropes (like blasting a villain's face in half right in the middle of his exposition monologue), but something about the film felt a bit circuitous - I wish more time was spent developing a bond between Logan and Laura, and that the film had more to say about the company creating what amounted to two children of Logan. As much as the film leans into the "family" theme (which is fair), there seems to be a progeny theme I wish it pursued more. It also took a while to slide into the spirit of the film, as the first big scene was so heavy on cursing and bloodletting that I had trouble taking it as anything more than posturing (and I think that dampened the impact of Laura's first kill - imagine if her rolling the head on the ground was the first time we saw real significant violence in the film). A lot of its success feels more textural than bone-deep. At the end, with Laura at his grave, I was strangely unmoved.

Even with those objections, Jackman deserves an Oscar nom.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Even with those objections, Jackman deserves an Oscar nom.
    That would put him on par with Heath Ledger.

And I will not allow that.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Jackman in Logan > Ledger in The Dark Knight
    Logan > The Dark Knight
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That would put him on par with Heath Ledger.

And I will not allow that.
    I'll allow it, but in the tradition of sitcom judges, it'd better be going somewhere.

I enjoyed it, but I'm not quite on board with the overwhelming support either. It seems to have earned some goodwill for its gritty approach, but grit does not equal profundity. The film sheds no new light on the character; it just drops him into an intensely more violent setting. The film's atmosphere and pared down plotting were certainly refreshing in the larger context of previous Marvel properties but hardly enough to make it transcend above a typical actioner. Give me Nolan's Dark Knight any day and twice on Sunday, subtlety be damned. At least we know that wanted to be about something beyond calling back to old westerns.

From a pure entertainment standpoint, this did not have not the tightest narrative. Emotionally, I think this movie ends at the farmhouse, which is a great sequence. It meanders after that, and every minute that stretched beyond your typical 120-runtime was truly felt.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 11-15-2017 at 11:55 PM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567