Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1458

Thread: The Match Cut 2017 Political Thread (or: The Lord of the Leaks: The Trump Towers)

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Answers, 1-10: Politicians are millionaires who work for billionaire corporations to increase profits.
    I don't think this answers 3, 6, 7, or 8. Those can be answered by a combination of "Russia has dirt on Trump, and Trump needs to get poor people to vote against their own self-interest", though.

I think it does. His racist rants are aimed at his core voters, to fire them up, to get him reelected, to keep him in power so he can make more decisions that keep lining his and other billionaires pockets.

I think it does. His racist rants are aimed at his core voters, to fire them up, to get him reelected, to keep him in power so he can make more decisions that keep lining his and other billionaires pockets.
    Well, if we're talking about Republicans then I agree that those direct answers are just stepping stones to the bigger goal you name. If we're talking about Trump, though, I don't think he cares about them getting richer, I think he just wants them to think of him as a powerful person, so feeding his ego is above even making billionaires rich. It's strange, of course: The most powerful office on the planet, and it's not nearly enough without people he feels are more powerful stroking his ego. And he doesn't feel it is enough because he knows that he's a fraud, that he could never make as much money as them, but he could win the Presidency, so by the very nature of him winning the Presidency he also knows that it can't be the highest achievement. It is encouraging, though, that the checks and balances of the government have kept him humble and feeling like a fraud, and you can see why he would aim to erode those checks into more and more autocracy - if he wasn't worried about being impeached and arrested. That may be the bigger fear, though, which overrides his feelings of being a fraud and makes him work towards autocracy merely to escape punishment. Maybe that's an even bigger fear than his fear of Russia, but probably not.

He has a complicated web of interests that all stem from his fraudulence and his misdeeds, so I don't think we can attribute motives as pure as "greed" to him, unlike the other Republicans. What a world.

Quote Quoting Bill Maher
    "I don't read comic books. I didn't even read them when I was a child. What I was saying is, a culture that thinks that comic books and comic book movies are profound meditations on the human condition is a dumb fucking culture. And for people to get mad at that just proves my point."
    "All I'm saying is, a culture that likes a form of literature that I admittedly know absolutely nothing about, is a dumb fucking culture. And for people to get mad at that just proves my point."

What a moron.

Are we talking about Phil Maher?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Full disclosure, sometimes I do get leery at the enormous success of superhero movies and how often the messages at their core are indulgence fantasies where the heroes learn nominal, unconvincing lessons in between fights.

But I don't think the ratio of good-to-bad comic book movies is much different than the overall ratio of good-to-bad movies, so whatever, you know? And it's not like the disaster films of the '70s and the cop comedies of the '80s (which were also the top grossers of their decades) were comparatively sophisticated. (In fact, you can probably draw a direct line between the "gather up the stars" mentality of a Towering Inferno or Earthquake and all the stars elbowing for attention in Infinity War.)

And also Maher's an intentionally insufferable dingus, so there's that to consider.

Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 11-22-2018 at 05:28 AM.

"All I'm saying is, a culture that likes a form of literature that I admittedly know absolutely nothing about, is a dumb fucking culture. And for people to get mad at that just proves my point."

What a moron.
    He's a comedian, not a book reviewer. As comedy, it's pretty weak, even for late-era Bill Maher* (which is why, I'm assuming, he published it as a blog post rather than using it as a "New Rules" segment), but I do think it's telling that one person writing, "I don't like comic books," can inspire so much vitriol online. As a society, we seem to have reached a point where we can't conceive of anything outside of consumerism, so when someone disses the things we consume--comic books, comic book movies, YA, social media, pop music, video games, Tesla--we feel like they're dissing us, and not participating in consumerism is perceived as being out of touch with humanity (hence, the recent internet-shaming of Daniel Day-Lewis for not owning a smart phone).

*I can't say with any certainty whether Politically Correct-era Bill Maher was actually funnier or if it just seemed that way at the time because I was younger and his schtick was fresher then, especially in the context of an incredibly bland decade.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    I don't think it's about relative sophistication. I think it's about the perception that big budget action flicks have throttled the industry and lead to less variety at the theater week over week. (That, and the grating way superfans talk about Marvel movies like they're high art.)

I think Lee is owed a due because he was a good collaborator and a great huckster---a combo PT Barnum and Steve Jobs whose life's work was about spandex and super powers.

Mahler dumping on him so soon after his death is bad form, but then I think Mahler knew that and that's why he did it. The guy loves to troll.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    He's a comedian, not a book reviewer.
    Then he probably shouldn't judge books and slander an entire fanbase? I live in the deepest red of Ohio, and let me tell you, Trump fan beats up comic book fan. They were no where near close to buying any comic book or caring about a comic book movie. Trump fan hates liberal hollywood altogether, comic book movie or otherwise, I know, I've literally taken shit for even saying "I like movies".

He wants to claim hes right because people say hey you're wrong? That's insane.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    but I do think it's telling that one person writing, "I don't like comic books," can inspire so much vitriol online.
    Oh please. No one would give the slightest shit if he has said just that. But he didnt. He said that in reference to stan Lee's death and then blamed comic book fans for trump being elected and our entire society for being dumb. That's a huge difference.

Roger Stone indicted and arrested this morning at 6am. L o freaking L.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

TGIF....BI
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Today was a glorious shitshow for this administration.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

So, pretty much all the press, the left leaning especially, have TRUMP CAVES pasted all over their headlines, and the gloating is just ridiculous.

Kinda thinking that ain’t such a great idea. Trump is going to remember this in two weeks when the government shuts down again. I wouldn’t be surprised if he REALLY digs in then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    No idea if this is accurate or not. But now i'm trying figure out who the Clinton indictment was.

Edit: Mike Espy was indicted and acquitted. Still trying to find the prison sentence.

Edit 2: Henry Cisneros also indicted and pleaded guilty. But avoided jail time and was later pardoned. So already this graphic is wrong.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Ford had it easy!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Obama is such a boring nerd. No wonder he has such good taste in books, music, and films. He's basically a match/cut poster.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Shit is poppin off today, goddamn.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

When you listen to these Congress people talk, it's like they are still back in high school with their petty derogatory setup and punch lines.

Hope everyone got a nice fat refund this year. Trump's new tax reform with a flat deductible fucked me good. First time I've ever had to pay taxes in my life.

Lower middle class over here says nope. Trump can eat a bag of dicks. imo people excited by his tax cuts are millionaires that believe themselves middle class and they can fuck off too.

I still got a fed refund, but yeah it was lower than last year's. I also owe $50 in state taxes but I am not sure if that has anything to do with the current tax law passed by the government.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I always end up paying in a couple thousand. The past two years tho my pay-in has gone down considerably.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Hope everyone got a nice fat refund this year. Trump's new tax reform with a flat deductible fucked me good. First time I've ever had to pay taxes in my life.
    It's your fault for living in Massachusetts.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast